Graphics looking drab? Forcing Ultra Graphics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Withnail, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Withnail

Hey all,

Most of you probably know this but for those people who are having problems with the graphics looking a bit drab, this may help.

Please check this thread I have linked and make the listed adjustments to your user.options file in the planetside folder.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ghest-graphical-settings.157165/#post-2243798

I have made the adjustments suggested and well I think it looks a definite improvement for me but I'd be interested to know whether other people feel the same.

Thanks
  2. Alexlightning7

False. Where is Libertyrevolution with his huge guide to settings.
    I wanted to comment in your other thread, but didnt feel like logging in. 5 settings dont exist except for shadow quality.
    DONT put it on 5 unless your ready for your fps to tank. It basically just has shadows on EVERYTHING as far out as you can see.

4 is not a setting either. texture quality 0 is ultra though.
    you are actually making most settings default to medium. a few might default to high but most default to medium for you.

Also, check renderQuality. Moving it above 1.0 enables super sampling, thus improving graphics ALOT, but with a HUGE FPS hit to the GPU.
    1.410000 For 2x supersampling, 2.0 for 4x.
    If you dont know what supersampling is, try looking it up.
  3. Withnail

Okay good to know, strange though it does seem to look better for me but could be a placebo effect, but the lighting looks much better to me!

I set render quality to 1.4 so that could be the improvement I guess. Im gonna switch back and have a look tonight. If there is a guide that would be cool.

Dont think it defaults to medium though, mine reset to medium when I deleted the user options file after updating and oh man, I thought I was playing goldeneye n64!
  4. Alexlightning7

Lighting can look better, but its a matter of opinion.
    It turns to medium, and by doing so reduces the quality of things like AO, no cloud shadows, and less advanced lighting in general.
    However, what it also does is eliminate any differentiation between lighting surfaces. This means that, for example, your gun inside of a building will look the same as if you were standing outside on one of the sunniest days.

This has an effect of making reflections look, imo, better. More shinny and more noticable, an nearly everything. especially inside buildings.
    That said, things like AO and such make the game look better overall imo.

You should be able to notice a difference at 1.4 renderquality. it might be more noticable if you switch back down to 100 in game. Basically the game renders everything at a higher resolution, and so it looks better.

Now as for settings defaulting to medium, MOST settings do when set to 5 or 4. I don't believe graphics quality will default to medium, and that is primarily what would make it look like an N64 game.....kinda. Things like lighting, particals, ect, are at medium.

Another fast fact, lighting quality 2 in the ini is actually high. not 3.
  5. LibertyRevolution

6. BlackDove

7. Withnail

All interesting tips thank you guys, I will experiment with all this later!
  8. Daikar

9. Alexlightning7

dont. the sweet FX and custom AA features of it will get you banned.
    Great program, but don't use those features in multiplayer games with any sort of anti hack system.
  10. Daikar

Planetside 2 doesn't have a anti hack system, and since Radeonpro does everything with drivers there's no way SOE can detect that. And I know for a fact there's users out there that has been using sweetfx without Radeon pro since day one without a ban.
    But yes SOE has said it's bannable so use it at your own risk, but the risk of getting banned for it is very very low.
  11. Withnail

I have GTX 660TI so that won't be an issue but I wouldn't do anything that could potentially get me banned, I have invested far to much time and money into this game. Hell I bought an entire new computer just to play it!
  12. Alexlightning7

Many people have been Banned for sweet FX. Just because someone wasnt found yet doesnt mean its not bannable.
    Radeon pro does do most stuff in the drivers, but not the custom AA(SMAA or FXAA) or SweetFX.
  13. Daikar

I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for Sweetfx, where did you hear that many got banned for it?
    But yes it is bannable but I'm pretty sure SOE doesnt have a "autodection" system that can detect it.