Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Maleficus04

I just can't see them doing anything that creative. If they were going to do anything concerning infiltrators and revives, I assume it'd be the thing I've seen in many-a-infiltrator threads and make it so a headshot kill with a bolt-action makes a person unrevivable. That's all well and good, (I even kind of like the idea) but it doesn't help in fights where it's not a good time to use a bolt-action sniper rifle. I just figured the timer thing was feasible and would make for a fairer mechanic than instant, non-stop revives at max rank medtool.
  2. Aegie

Spam is cheese.

Some things are responsible for spam- like engineers with infinite ammo. This allows just about anyone to spam just about anything that does not require resources. Spamming bullets is not such a big deal, spamming UBGL and RLs...

Some things are spam by nature- like repair/revive tools.

Spam is cheese.
  3. Sock

Revives OP
  4. Flapatax

In all seriousness though, after watching the Ini vs whoever thing (I didn't but I read part of a comment from someone who did), are people still saying medics are just fine, totally not broken?

Battlefield medics--limited time to get to someone, certain damage types can't be revived through, limited number of heals per resupply--makes me mad jelly.
  5. Radioactive Bomba

To be honest, i think that the idea with putting a time limit or cooldown on how many times you can get revived would be enough, i don't want this game to end up to only rewarding very high skilled players,

This would Balance thing plenty out, as medics can't keep reviving the same person over and over again within seconds, while still not stripping the purpose of medics, as in a zerg, a medic would be able to find another one to revive.

I can see the problem with that however, people would just come here and complain that zergs are even more undefeatable than before because it should also effect the other side,

Also i could see this being a problem early, because fights are limited there, and usually small. But that's not the majority, and in democracy the majority always win.

Also for that topic i don't want to see a zerg getting defeated by 30 guys unless them in the zerg really sucks,
    I mean if you put up a team of let's say 40 Navy seals up against 10,000 chinese regular troops, who would win in the end, Seals may have a higher kill ratio if we have to use that term, but in the end them with numbers would pretty much win a long engagement, and that's how it should be.
  6. Tristan

This again? Why don't you learn to just flank the medics (might be OP ;) ) and bring your own medics. ;)
    • Up x 1
  7. RailFury

I really like that mechanic as well. As it is right now I have to "puppy guard" any maxes that I take down to make sure that they are not revived the second I turn my back.

Also, revive shouldn't be able to work through spawn room shields. In a biolab defense I've literally killed the same max 10 times as they dance back and forth from spawn.
    • Up x 1
  8. Sock

Called it.
  9. Pyrode

Especially on necro threads.
  10. Sock

It's okay because the 10 second timer hasn't been implemented on live yet.
  11. Axehilt

While I agree with nearly everything you said, PS1's medic mechanics were in many ways the worst medic gameplay in a FPS game (I can't think of any FPS medic with a more awkward implementation, which mostly focused around the inability to move while healing/reviving.) So it's a bit much to call them "great" mechanics. Presumably you're just referring to the medkit-ammo part of the mechanic, but even then it's not all that great a system.

But again, everything else you described was completely accurate. My personal medic suggestion is:
    • Medics spawn with 5 revive charges.
    • With a charge, revives are instant. (MAXes revived in 3 sec)
    • Without a charge, revives are 8 full seconds (MAXes 10 sec.)
    • A revive charge regenerates every 45 seconds (up to the max of 5.)
    Obviously the exact values used would be tweaked, but the idea is that medics would have fantastic revive capabilities early on, but if too many deaths happened too quickly their revive ability is much weaker (but not completely disabled.)
  12. Dis

Not good enough- the medic ********** with revive grenades will still rule the day.

One revive per spawn, seems simple enough to me.
  13. NBA JAM

I would like to see more people like the OP on SOE's design team. Sadly that is a pipe dream as Matt Higby is a tool.

State of game is proof. Changes since Alpha proof as well (or lack there of)