The heavy class in general

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Mend, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Mend

Hello, I usually play as a medic, because I enjoy the ability to heal myself, and revive others. However I constantly find myself raging over fighting Heavies. Every class I'm able to kill with ease, no matter my class choice because of my hundreds of hours invested into FPS' of all kinds. However, even with a surprise advantage where I start shooting first, a good heavy can always shield, spin and take me down before I'm able to reach the halfway mark of his health every time.

Is there some sort of flaw I'm not seeing to the heavy class? It looks to me like the most obvious choice of class to pick is either Heavy for Anti-Air, Anti-Infantry or Anti-Tank, or Engineer if you prefer to use vehicles yourself. Can someone enlighten me as to this class's main weakness? (In b4 bolt action sniper before they pop their class shield ability)
  2. Pie Chasm

I realize this is a QQ post, but I will make it short and sweet, because as a medic you shouldn't be ********:

Auto shotguns (or semi) are the heavys bane in CQC. Try to avoid using pumps if you expect heavies, because it takes more than one shot in most cases.

Activate your heal (this effectively makes you better than a heavy at mid-long range and this will make you better than a heavy once they implement NW... assuming your target doesn't have 100% headshot accuracy).

Use high DPS weapons (e.g. TAR/Gr-22/H-V45) weapons to flinch lock your target. They probably won't be able to fight back.

Heavies have either 1500, or 2273 health, but the maximum of the two will change with the changes to NW, so that you really won't have an excuse not to kill one by yourself.

However, it has been stated that the new NW will not affect headshots, implying that your high RPM AR is the way to go, since shotgun spreads are quite large and unreliable past 5 meters.
    • Up x 4
  3. Mend

It was a QQ post, however you didn't answer my question.

I think I'll start here, because mathematically it's obvious you pulled this number from your ***. In no way would the medic's heal give more sustain starting at the first HP loss against the shield the starts from the first armor/shield point lost. And you realize this in the second sentence, when you back off from your argument, stating "your target doesn't have 100% headshot accuracy". But just adding insult to injury; Say I got a heavy to half shield (75% total hp/shield total) and he turned on his shield at this point. Still, the sustain would remain in the heavy's favor.

I'm going to ignore the shotgun statements, because I personally have no interest in using a shotgun. I like the medic's midrange/longer range AR weapons.

And finally, I don't think saying "your gun sucks" accurately repairs the problem. If there's only one medic weapon per class that's viable, (HV45, as I'm venu) you wouldn't see players using all variations.

But i appreciate your response; (Specifically "it has been stated that the new NW will not affect headshots" this nerf is the kind of thing I'm interested in) Does anyone else have a major flaw to the heavy class I would be interested in hearing?
  4. Posse

Sorry, but if that happens to you, then you're not as good as you believe.
    • Up x 6
  5. Sledginius

The extra durability is only 4 bullets in your described situation
    If 4 Hits worth of time is the difference between you killing someone without a problem and you losing against someone with his backed turned towards you... then I really don´t want to see your accuracy
  6. Mend

4?

Just because I'm on the heavy forum doesn't mean everyone has to troll and pull numbers from nowhere.

If no one can come up with a logical argument, I'm just going to assume that's why the shield is getting the nerf. Thanks for the responses.
  7. chakx

As a frequent Heavy myself .... If I'm caught by surprise by someone close, I'm probably turning on my shield. That means i'm slow. 25% slower. If I ADS, that means i'm even slower.

Having some zippy bugger moving at max movement speed, darting between walls and circle-strafing me with a hipfire gun that's aiming for my head ruins my day. We may be tougher, but our heads are often easier targets. Our LMG's are pretty decent at CQC, but not as deathly accurate for headshots as other choice weapons unless we ADS. Yes, you sneaky SMG users - aim for the head. Even you shotgun users, aim for the head. Some assault rifles can almost do the job as well, and a few carbines aren't to be sniffed at either.

Up close, don't stand still, don't ADS. We're slow when we're using our shields and aiming our LMGs, but we're tanking your damage and trying to dish it out in return. Be fast.

Otherwise ....wear us down. Hit and run. If our shield's up, take a few pot shots and get out before I can return the favour. Don't try to 1v1 a heavy if you can help it. Nothing wrong with strafing a hallway with bullets then getting out of there.

...as for at range, the H-V45 is a fine weapon, but I don't believe it shines at range. Far as I'm aware, that's the medic's answer for a CQC rifle. The Corvus beyond 50m might be worth a look.
  8. chakx

Sorry for the unhelpful replies btw, you'll find many here and on reddit to be a bit too used to complaining and contradicting one another for the sake of it. MAY POSTS HERE FORTH BE CONSTRUCTIVE.
  9. Mend

Thanks, obviously I only aim for the head, but hopefully knowing the slower turning speed i'll be able to dodge a larger portion of their return.

Thanks
  10. shd

What exactly do you mean by "weakness" ? No class has a "weakness" as is and every class is weak to being shot in the head.

Despite your arrogance you gave us nothing to work with. What setup you use, your strategy, engagement distance, nothing (only that you are HV-45 VS which is possibly the best AR that rips stuff apart). You could also link your profile so we can point the problem since (imo) medic is the second 1v1 class after HA and while the best HA should beat you, if you are decent as you claim to be, you shouldn't have problems with majority of Heavy Assaults out there.
    • Up x 2
  11. John_Aitc

Pie had some very good suggestions to give you a better chance of success, Mend. People who enjoy the Medic class are a boon for any Faction in any fight. I hope you find your answer and keep enjoying your class play.

My Medic has used the NS11-Platinum with soft point ammo from Gamestop since I started the game. I think the other NS11s have the same stats.

Good luck and happy hunting.
  12. chakx

That's not totally true. Like I said HA's are slower when their shield is on.
    Medics weakness is they're vulnerable with their healing tool out - clearing the area and picking your moments to revive feels like an entirely different playstyle to other classes and is what seperates good medics from bad. (you've all been jumped at least once reviving someone)
    Engi's, if of the vehicle-driving variety, often wear flak armor. That's at least one less bullet to drop 'em compared to most nano-wearers. Otherwise, any engineer knows how vulnerable they are repairing vehicles and turrets - they're forced to look at the ****-end of some hull for 10 seconds.
    Etc etc... no glaring weaknesses really, but each class has it's quirks.
  13. shd

But those are not class weaknesses. Every class is vulnerable if you catch them reloading/with something other then their main gun out. Heavy is slow with their shield but you can't count on outrunning them since it can be turned on/off at will. Vehicle engi usually has flak but that's far from being a rule and also, it's not like the op is gonna go "ok, he got out of a vehicle, that means he has flak, i need couple bullets less to kill him, lets engage".

No class has an obvious weak spot that can be consistently abused (except for maxes being slow but soe decided to change that for one faction). OP states he is being consistently owned by HA but can dispose of any other class easily. I call him a liar and ask him to come with factual evidence (stats page, video, w/e).
  14. MajiinBuu

The best HA use resist shield. Resist shield becomes drastically weaker if a portion of your health or shield is gone before you activate it. If you shoot them before they pop their shield their shield will do little to nothing.
    I use NS-11 Platinum, if I shoot first they die.
  15. Ganjis

@OP.

Heavy Assault is the baseline class and the backbone of a force. Every other class loses the overshield and rocket launcher in order to gain something else. If you want to kill things, especially as part of a team, there is no reason not to take HA unless:
    There is a real need for heals/revives (go medic)
    There is a real need for ammo/repairs (go engineer)

LA and infil are tactical options that let you bypass or flank enemies.
    MAX is a special case, but normally requires a good mix of other classes present before it has its best effect.

HA are supposed to be best in a shootout: along with rocket launchers, it is their class trait. So if you want to be in the thick of the fighting, there is no reason to not go HA (unless MAX is feasible). Working as intended.
  16. MajiinBuu

17. TheBloodEagle

18. ColdCheezePizza

if you get the jump on them try to headshot your first few shots before they start the glowy strafey dance, if you start with body shots and they pop the shield then aim for their face as if your life depended on it.

also what assault rifle are you using btw?
  19. Posse

Assuming you're a decent shot (that's what you call yourself) you should at least be able to land 5 bullets before he reacts and activates the shield, that's 715 damage, if he has NW5 that means he has 535 HP left and he still didn't completely turn around at this point. Now if the guy has NMG, he will have 1135 or 1235 HP left (I don't remember if it was 600 or 700 boost), if he has resist shield he will have an effective HP of 972.

If you tell me that you can't beat a target with the same or less HP than you (if you don't have at least NW4 you're doing it wrong), who still isn't facing you, well, that's a L2P issue.

There are 3 possibilities that would allow a HA to survive in that situation:

1) Having cover nearby
    2) Having a escape route
    3) The guy attacking him failing at aim.

Actually no, many use Adrenaline.
    • Up x 1
  20. Liewec123

this is a ridiculous post...
    the whole point of heavy assault is that they're the grunt class that should be hardest to engage 1v1.
    you're basically complaining that heavy assault is working correctly.