Epic Battles!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meeka, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MaCritz

And the funny thing is that JUGA is actually complaining about this!! OF ALL OUTFITS!!
  2. ColdCheezePizza

wonder how much NUC and the recent War Report 25 fiasco had to do with this or if it was already in the works for PU:01 long before that. Personally I think this exploit has gone on for far too long, nothing is more frustrating then attempting to defend against something that simply has no counter, that is not balance. The game as a whole is much better off now and I've already noticed the increase in skirmishes and epic infantry pushes, if the so called organized outfits cant learn to guard a spawn beacon now then you aren't as good as you thought you were, I'm sure most will adapt or move on to the next exploit like cloaking c4 flashes to take out sunderers.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ulysees

Change has been on PTS for a couple of months now so don't think it is directly related to WAR Report 25, just an issue that SOE has recognised for a while and until now not had the right time to deploy the fix to LIVE.

Got to admit first time we used this on PTS it did cause some WTF and head scratching but doesn't take long to get used to using these tools as they are intended instead of making maintaining a spawn solution for an attacker a near impossible task (which incidentally is one of the reasons why my outfit run last man standing training sessions where we never use Sunderers and focus on not getting ourselves killed stupidly to help us in standard play because for the last 3 months or so you cannot rely on keeping a sunderer alive even if you dedicate a whole squad to that task with how easy it is to have it dropped on and taken out).
    • Up x 1
  4. Negator

I see a bunch of nothing in this post. Preventing coordinating squads from effortlessly destroying attacking sunderers is bad for the game, and there is no way for pubbies to 'punch above their weight' to stop it. Removing squad deploy was a good thing.
    • Up x 1
  5. vsae

Except they are NOT.
    You know there are actually people who do not enjoy running 400 meters from a sunderer having nothing to shoot. Droppoding waas broken, now its nonexistent. THere should be middle ground to it. As it is now, there currently is no squad deploy at all. Beacon is different, it spawns you on beacon not squad leader.
    After all dropping on unsuspecting tower campers was just most fun moment in the game and it could really give small advantage to my team. Now however you are practice target dummy until you finally run into the building.

P.S. In the future I see numerous lone 2/12 1/12 galaxies crashing into towers and tech plants.
  6. Dakster

I think I would have preferred it if they had kept squad deploy as was, but have changing squad leader trigger the squad deploy timer (for the entire squad). To prevent people changing leader as a quick way to drop everyone onto that person, when actually that person isnt really the squad leader.
  7. Hatesphere

This still doesn't change the cheese that is spawning on a dead guy. just being able to span on someone as a mobile free beacon is kind of sill in my book, and completely removed tactical depth from the game,

n favor of "me want shoot now" game play style.

and why do you need to be able to use your squad leader as a mobile spawn beacon to be an effective fighting force that needs to lean how to breach a building or set up and defend a beacon nearby for people to drop on said offending defensive position? maybe use smoke to prevent the roof top guards form getting clear shots. I don't know a little bit some something more then hitting a spawn button after someone runs headlong into a building.
    • Up x 3
  8. Torok

I had a lot of fun yesterday, looking forward to replicate today! :>

But the no deploy zone inside tech plants is kind of a killer :\ , AMP too... damn it's punishing on defenders
    • Up x 2
  9. NoctD

This is very stupid - the no deploy zones should apply to just attackers, and defenders get free deploy options in an owned base at least until the SCU goes down. It would make for more interesting fights.
    • Up x 3
  10. RomulusX

I want a solo spawn beacon for my lone wolf! hmph!
  11. BoomBoom4You

I agree with that. I think battles wrap up much more quickly now without the old squad deploy, but give it time and I think people will change their tactics. I mean, the way squad deploy worked before was pretty cheesy -- you didn't have to put down a beacon or anything.
    • Up x 1
  12. vsae

I'm clearly not the kind of "runs headlong into a building"-type of player. No. I like the planetside for what and how I concieve it. Loads of different small maps for infantry engagements that are connected into large scale one. I dislike the traverse between bases for many reasons. It sounds really weird coming from planetside player, but its really cool for only first couple of months before you've seen everything, and besides, driving from freshly captured base to the new one is rather unrewarding at all times. And after you driven almost a kilometer to the next base in numerous vehicles those were torn apart by lockon spam you finally get to hide behind last stand rock where all of your foot zerg crumped and where you getting ***** by esfs and the rest. This is how most of these epic battles flow before it finally comes to attacking a base itself.
    Drop pod isnt absolute evil as many people call it, it is necessity in many ways. I dont propose it be returned in the same state it was before, but the current state is redundant.
  13. treeHamster

Played a little yesterday after work and I have to say it was the FIRST time I had seen a 3-way Crown battle in FOREVER. I really like how the Crown has 5 different links to it now which solidifies it's value because it's the central node for Indar.
  14. Gammit

Yeah, this happened way too often.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dakster

Fair point, I think that the Squad leader should be alive in order to be able to drop pod on him. But I also think it would be good if the Squad leader had something visible on him to differentiate him as a Squad Leader, so that it makes him someone that the Squad needs to protect and also give snipers a target that can actually mean something.
  16. Meeka

There is a middle ground, you put your Sunderer closer and protect it. You deploy squad beacons closer and protect it. There are still squads capable of doing tower drops... you don't need squad deploy to do that. You just need a galaxy and a squad leader with a beacon... or sneak up with a light assault... just now you need to be a little more organized and coordinated to do it. That is the middle ground. If your squad leader has a beacon down, you will squad deploy to that when you hit squad deploy. If not, the onus is on your squad leader to be a squad leader and do what needs to be done to get his squad to the location he wants you at.

Welcome to the world of strategic and tactics, where you need to plan assaults on defenders... and defend your assault assets in the process.

Squad deploy was more broken than Drop podding was.
    • Up x 1
  17. Keiichi25

Ok, guys.... Let's consider something here...

I know some outfits who abuse the crap out of Squad Deploy. I will admit, I was playing with one of those outfits that was doing it.

However, as far as fair play is concerned... The Deploy option should have NEVER worked that way. Deploying should have been like the video for Planetside 2:

At the end, you see an Light Assault got to where they want to drop in... Deploy should have been that all along, not just 'Oh, I just got here and dropped in the middle of a base'. At the same time, drop pods hitting an enemy vehicles, I see that as being the 'proper' way and not making defense a joke that it was because people were dropping willy nilly to wherever or using drop pods like OS strikes.

The thing is, drop podding, as far as fair play is concern, should be similar to what it was back in Planetside. As an attacker, you can't drop into the SOI, even as a friendly, you can't drop on the base, although in the case for this game, a defender can drop pod into a base proper from the looks of things for 'rapid deployment' via instant action.

Rapid response, though, should be only through transport or if the spawn will allow them to spawn there, but that should be well within the reasons of offensive/defensive battles should go.

This also makes infiltrators and the more wily, sneaky types who work their way in more important, not just having some random joe schmoe Kamikaze into a place and be a 'spawn beacon' without putting effort beyond just 'dying' there.
  18. Keiichi25

They probably wanted the defenders not to have an advantage in certain areas. But if this is the case, they need to reposition the spawn room for the Tech Plant, because the Tech Plant is still an f-in death trap the way it is designed. It's become the new 'PS1 Biolab'. It's defensive weapons are hard to get to to begin with, the only means to get in 'safely' is easy to camp and the other tunnels are poorly positioned to get to what you need to get to.
  19. IamDH

I thought you were referring about RL until i read "survived more beacon drops"
  20. Sen7ryGun84

I think you'll find that of you read my post you'll find that in the very opening sentence I said its not necessarily a bad thing, just something I find will bring monotony into the game from my own perspective. The rest of the post was just a brief detailing of why I will miss the SL drop system. A lot of people here blowing my post out of proportion.

JUGA is not complaining about this, we will adapt, survive and thrive as we always do. If anything I'm expecting this change to be more of a benefit to us than a detractor. Our main competition on Briggs (and world wide for that matter) are primarily outfits that are much larger than ourselves and relied on the continual squad drop tactics much more than ourselves. I'll be very interested in seeing how this affects our rankings in coming months tbh.

It's also important to note I do not speak for JUGA, I just speak for myself. I was an opinionated loud mouth before I joined JUGA and still am now lol.

I'm also quite amused to see lots of people here saying that we can't just drop from the sky and evaporate sunderers anymore lol. I should make a video for you guys and show you exactly how easy it is to *still* use coordinated drop tactics to spam sunderers with explosives before the enemy has time to react. If you're under the impression that coordinated outfits will have to fight through waves of zerging pubs just to make your bus disappear then you're kidding yourselves.