Balance Pass Post 2: Nanoweave and Related Features

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Nov 11, 2013.

1. GunsmithJoe

Because there is still that 50/50 chance that your 150m+ target was not nanoweaved. After this 'fix' there will be 0 chance.
    • Up x 3
  2. Master

....the range is abrupt. It doesnt make sense lore wise, mechanics wise, or gameplay wise. Just because you like to 2 shot doesnt mean other ppl like to play like that. You like to do that? Here, have a cookie....

There is a community that does long range sniping, its a niche in the game and that is being taken away from the players. I can't OHK someone from 151m away where I should deserve a OHK even more from that range? Makes sense....

Good positioning is less rewarding....

The position u had 10 minutes ago WAS good but now the team advanced and you can't do OHKs anymore. Why the hell would you pick on my comment of "seasoned" snipers? I wasnt saying you werent, I'm referring to those who are experianced snipers. That has hours under their belt, that know the spots, and know what they are doing. I don't know why your trying to nitpick. I guess its bc of forumside and you want to strut your stuff. (Im not impressed)

Yes, I want a range finder and other players would also like range finder for their sniper rifles. We want the option. We would like to know if we should change or hold position.

About the "wats your point" comment. You knew what my point was, ur just being a dick about it. If you don't feel useful as a sniper, than either your doing it wrong or your wasting your own time. I enjoy it and I feel like I'm doing a service, even if its just harrassement to get the enemy to worry about something other than teammates. Sniping AV turret engineers is also a plus or my personal favorite, sniping ppl at the vehicle terminals.

Not every cliff / angle is 100-150m thats more like when your right above them. Nonetheless it limits your options there and other places on all continents. At 150m you don't even need to worry about bullet drop. Why even have it? Might as well cert into suppressor and start practicing with that bc we are gonna be too close for comfort.

I'm done.
    • Up x 3
  3. Maljas23

Yup this ^^^
    • Up x 2
  4. MarvinGardens

I wasn't sure if it was a bug or they flagged my account to review the terms and conditions because of a post I posted on the forums, but a few weeks back Planetside kept forcing me to accept the terms and conditions everytime I tried to log in. Long story short, I actually skimmed through it and I noticed a section all in caps about refunds on store bought items. In short, there aren't any. Basically it told me that SC is non-refundable, all items can be changed on a whim by SOE and anybody who wants a refund can suck it. (I am paraphrasing of course) Really makes me worried about SOE really banking on bait and switch tactics to sell new weapons and camos to make a profit. Selling an obviously OP weapon to get everyone to buy it then balancing(nerfing) it later to make room for the next OP weapon they release. Ah well, I will probably buy all the weapons regardless because I am OCD like that.

I hope they don't nerf the OHK headshot at range as well Snipefrag. I don't snipe too often(I suck at it really), but I support the long range OHK headshots.
  5. TheBattlePope

I'm sure it's been ranted on a few thousand times already over the last 16 pages, but the 150m cutoff for one-shot kills with sniper rifles really makes no sense. I don't know if Connery's all that different from other servers, but only rarely do I ever see snipers "abusing" their ability to take people down at extreme range, and at any rate it doesn't exactly make me angry when they do; good for them. If they can consistently hit people at ranges exceeding 150m, they damn well deserve those kills. If anything, you should make any headshot BELOW 150m take more than one shot, to actually reward good snipers (but then you'd have to ignore the laws of physics and whatnot, and that would be downright nutty...)

Edit: Oh, and doing this will pretty much reduce snipers to merely cherry-picking wounded targets, which will just piss their teammates off. What's easier: getting two consecutive shots on a guy who's already darting around with far more agility than is humanly possible (which is an entirely different issue altogether), or picking off a guy who's down to a quarter-health thanks to a tank blast or a machine-gun barrage?
    • Up x 1
  6. NevilClavain

NO! Just friking NO ALREADY!

I don't play sniper, I play Engi but reducing the OHK to 150m?! WTF SOE, why do you have to remove anything that takes skill from this already POS game?! You already have scope sway, people don't sit still anyhow - getting a headshot at 200+ meters on a moving target is commendable and that player DESERVES the kill. Let me say that again in case you're confused - DESERVES. Unlike a ZOE max spamming or any other cheap method of getting close range kills with no skill (shotgun, etc.)
    • Up x 2
  7. Tytos

150m, wtf? This is the worst balance-change in this game so far, if a sniper can headshot a target at 400m then it's because he is good at it, it's not like that those are easy shots and this isn't a 1vs1 game as you may have noticed, a sniper that can take out 10 enemies before somebody notices where he is, is a failure of the other team.
    • Up x 3
  8. EWarren

The above logic seems to infer:
    Dying to unseen / unmarked enemies with a distance weapon is unfair and OHK should be disallowed. What if someone is on an ATV driving merrily along a road - battle is going on and not every AV turrets are rendered / had been "visually called out", then should SOE nerf AV so the unknowing ATV driver will survive a guided hit ("a threat from all directions")?

An important rule in PS2 is never idle and stand around - always stay mobile and actively thinking. The latest SOE rule seem to mean: if you don't see it, you shouldn't get OHK by it
    • Up x 2
  9. R3dBeaver

I got Nanoweave 4.

Logged in after patch, and it's not reset/refunded.

Why?
  10. Crisic

Changes not live yet. Derp.
  11. Archlyte

dear devs: please reduce Time 2 Kill in this game and get rid of the health and shield bars. Added to client side lag this should make for a fun game experience.
  12. GrayPhilosophy

Oh well.. No reason to save up certs for the longshot then. It seems I'm one of the lucky few who hasn't wasted the certs/cash yet.
    • Up x 1
  13. Being@RT

That stuff will be found in the EULA/TOS/whatever of literally every online game with a store you can buy stuff from. It's just standard practice and doesn't mean there's intent to bait & switch.
  14. Phazaar

The 150m limit is ********, and I have about 12 kills with a sniper rifle. 150m is incredibly short range in this game, removes any reason to cert into scopes (and in turn, makes the purchases people have already made redundant), and makes snipers virtually a zero threat - far more so than NW ever did.

Devs, you really need to realise that it's not just infantry vs infantry. There are vehicles -everywhere- with 300m range thermal scopes, and 200m range scout radar that even reveals cloaked snipers. It's not a 'poor gameplay experience' being OHK by someone your team has failed to adequately counter; it's the corner stone of actual tactical and strategic gameplay decisions. I also assume the 'poor gameplay experience' thing means that AV turrets will be capped at 150m range (because they're just as invisible outside this range, and only countered by snipers, who can no longer function in this regard)? And that infantry-based AV will be capped in the same way, for the same reason? No? Then stop being idiots.

The rest of the changes are fantastic, keep it up.

Oh, and I love the realisation that cert refunds are a good idea when making sweeping balance adjustments. If you monitor 're-uptake' it will give you a hint as to whether your balance passes have 'killed' a weapon, or people are content with its new position. For example, if you cert refund all bolt action sniper scopes, I'd be willing to be half of them will not be repurchased. I would love to see this become standard practice though, as a point to customer retention.
  15. R3dBeaver

derp indeed.
  16. TaeKwonDo

I've have only been playing Sniper in Planetside 2 because that is what I like (6551 kills with my .50 RAM). I waste certs on random skills of other classes but my play time is 96% on infiltrator. Mostly because close quarter is laggy.

My stats on my weapons...:
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428013610464591569/weapons

The number of snipers have been reduced by a lot and the threat of snipers is very low. I know because I used to hunt other snipers.

The first rule of playing PS2 is never stop moving. In any war, if you stand still, you will get shot. The number of times you get killed from a sniper is remarkably low compared to other infantry, tanks, aircrafts, liberators...

Getting a head shot is not as easy as it seems.
    • You need to consider range, speed of bullet, moving target anticipation, bullet drop.
    • Sometimes it takes a few tries just to get used to the distance of how far the target is and each time, that can make the target spot you and worst if you missed the head and hit the body. No one is supposed to stand there to get shot again. Reload time and un-scopping for the next bullet is far more than enough time for a target to have disappeared from line of sight.
    • You miss the target on the slightest change of a player like ducking, reloading, looking down/up, throwing a grenade, placing a mine.
    • Between 1st and second dot, players are small, really small and getting a head shot is shooting a target's head smaller than the dot on the scope. I think at that point, if you are good enough to get a pin point accuracy for a head shot, you deserve the kill.
    • Snipers cannot camp sunderers because of spawn invulnerability, but tanks and liberators can camp the hell out of spawning rooms with little danger.

I can't even change my vomit inducing POV of 55 because I have gotten to used to the range of targets compared to my 12x scope's dots. Most kills are done within the first dot anyways.

Now for some stupid comparisons (grab yourself some popcorn):
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then medics/engineers shouldn't be able to move while healing/repairing. Have you ever seen a mechanic run around a car while fixing the engine or a doctor running around the operation table while doing a hearth transplant???
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m because they are too far to be seen, then aircrafts and liberators should not be able to kill infantry because they never look up for the unseen danger above.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then tanks should not be able to stand on a cliff and shoot extremely long distances, such as at the Crown and other bases. They should also be limited at 150m.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then Vanu should get bullet drop. I have been accurately shot at by Vanu infantry at long distances.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then they should leave no bullet trail and get normal health. Infiltrators are easier to kill by 1 to 2 bullets on average compared to other infantry.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then they should be able to shoot from stealth (breaking stealth after the shot).
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then light assaults should not be able to drop C4 while flying. Unseen danger from above that not only kills a lot of players and a sunderer for a lot of certs, but also destroys a spawning point!!
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then they should also be able to 1 shot MAX units with a head shot.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then heavy assaults should not be able to kill people with rocket launchers.
    • If snipers can't get one shot head kills above 150m, then I'm tired and going to bed.
    • Up x 6
  17. Czuuk

The fact that your argument is based on denying basic knowledge of the game betrays its weakness.
  18. Mazdam

So "Dying to a sniper that you never had a chance to see is a poor gameplay experience for everyone on the receiving end" but being killed by tanks or rocketpods from the sky is FINE, SURE!

This isnt the typical FPS! there are many roles and things in the game that wont be fair when they kill you... if you go as infantry you will face a tank and get killed, is it fair that someone from his tank in a safe spot oneshots you? it isnt.. but it is a tank.

A sniper oneshots if hits ur head from an already short range, yes, short.. i have head hit a lot of players at long ranges and they survive.. but the range was fine, there was a sniper feeling when you play it... now it will suck, everyone surviving from your long ranged aimed AND SKILLED shots, yep.. people with skills moves and doesnt let that hidden sniper headshot em easy.. you need skill to put a long range shot at his head.

Long range shots need you to consider range, bullet speed, moving target anticipation, bullet drop. IT NEEDS SKILL, YOU ARE NERFING SKILLCAP SOE! and that isnt never good for a game.

KEEP NERFING SKILL SOE, WHILE TANKS AND AIR DOMINATES THE GAME.
    • Up x 1
  19. Posse

Huh? I still don't understand what's your point anyway, what if the rest of the VS guns don't have bullet drop? Killing people at those ranges with anything that's not a Sniper Rifle is almost impossible (and it depends on the other guy being completely clueless, even if you're the best player in the world).
  20. don

This is the 150m rule! Same as the 3-Way rule! 3 ways to defend, 3 ways to attack makes every base balanced. Only being able to ohk ppl inside 150m makes snipers balanced! Obey the 150m & 3-way rules and everybody will be happy!

//sarcasm off
    • Up x 1