[Suggestion] Shotguns: reduced spread with cost of damage.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adeon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Adeon

What do you think? It will be better or worse?
    • Up x 1
  2. Lucidius134

It will make them less niche but with their current ROF's and recoil and whatever they'll still be out ranged by SMG's, do less consistant damage than SMG's and lose their niche where they are better than SMG's so not really unless they got a min damage BUFF ( a great one) while keeping max damage the same or slighly lowering it while increasing the cone.
  3. Rabbitz

Sound like slug shot.
    • Up x 1
  4. p10k56

Actually it will be better and will have some use even in open field battle.
    I will like to see special bonus against shields.
  5. Axehilt

Bonuses against shields only really makes sense on something like an EMP grenade, where it's this secondary weapon you can use before using your main weapon to finish the job.

The overall TTK in the game is too fast for there to really be a good-against-shields / good-against-health interplay, especially if we're talking about a weapon which already 1-shot-kills through both shields and health (as shotguns do.)

I suppose the idea of bonus shield damage might work alright on MAX weapons too, since you could theoretically have two specialized AI weapons (one vs. shields, the other for health) and shoot down their shields first before finishing them off. But with the existing MAX mechanics I don't really see how that could be advantageous over the current "just fire both AI weapons until they die" method. It also doesn't help that you can't see the enemy's shield state (except an extremely subtle shield-pop effect which only occurs after shots are already being fired).

So even though the shield/health specialization sounds fun (and is fun, in games with longer TTK where you can see your opponent's shield state) I don't see it fitting in Planetside 2.
  6. Adeon

It was a question about shotgun spread. Higher damage to shield sounds like separate suggestion.
  7. Yuukikun

It will be worse, shotguns shine at 5m and less, don't ruin their only good attribute.
  8. Kalocin

I agree, and part of what makes them great is the spread because if you miss the shot, you may end up still getting a small hit on them. On paper it may sound better, but most players will not always hit their shots -- especially when you're moving constantly with a shotgun.
  9. Simferion

I think the better way is to remove the Laser sight as attachment and put a Choker or something similar.