SMGs should be toned down.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpaceKing, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Spoprockel

As if anybody posting on these bords isn't biased in one way or another. Don't tell me you're not biased against infiltrators, as you almost NEVER play infi.
    Of course i enjoy playing infiltrator, and i like my SMG how it is.

But i also know the limitations of the weapon and the class.
    If they notice you outside of your optimal engagement range you're dead.
    If you try to kill somebody outside of your optimal range they have a good chance to out-dps you.
    If you're cloaked and bump into an enemy you're most likely dead.
    If you're cloaked and they get the drop on you you're most likely dead.
    Even if you get the drop on a heavy with resist shield he can just turn around and kill you, if he's fast enough to pull it off.

How would infiltrators infiltrate without SMGs? Scout rifles? I've tried them in the VR, they won't cut it for CQC.

The close range bolt actions require good aiming, and i'm the first to admit that i lack the skill to use those.

PS: What does me being without and outfit have to do with anything?
    • Up x 1
  2. TheBloodEagle

I feel like you've completely forgotten what I said previously. YOU are the one that called cloak ineffective at close ranges, YOU. I've been on the INF's side by saying NO to a Nerf. I've just been explaining my point of view because people are obviously biased and I can see both sides. I said that INFs are annoying but not unbalanced. You're writing like I think they need a nerf. I don't.
    • Up x 1
  3. Aegie

Yes, I tend to agree. Infiltrators are not really over powered so much as annoying. In a 1v1 type situation, like you and one other person at a base and yeah if they are infiltrator and you're both infantry I would say they have a distinct advantage. Invisibility, simply put, is a bit of cheese IMO. I mean, the class itself is practically the definition of cheese in that done correctly and you are either A) one shot killing people from a range where only other infiltrators can really be expected to fight back or B) hiding by pressing a button and shooting unsuspecting people in the back.
    • Up x 1
  4. Campagne

I think infiltrators should never have gotten SMGs in the first place. Think of how many problems could have been avoided!
  5. Spoprockel

Problems such as?

Is infiltrators being competitive in CQC a problem for you?

The only thing that could have been avoided are several whine threads about SMG infiltrators...
  6. Campagne

My main problem with SMGs being given to infiltrators is that now, as I play on low settings, I literally cannot see them until they uncloak and kill me, once the server catches up. Even if that were not a problem, it would save space for forty more threads it their place. Threads not too unlike this one.

...not to mention infiltrators wouldn't act so entitled...

I personally am more than competitive in CQC as an infiltrator with just my pistol. An SMG is just plain overkill when you're invisible.
  7. Kitakami

I rarely play infiltrators, I think they're generally a bit pointless, but I think they're absolutely fine with SMGs. Hell, I find infiltrators with mines x10 more annoying!
    • Up x 1
  8. Mustarde

eltwopee

/thread
    • Up x 1
  9. Nocturnal7x

The issue is not the SMG. The issue is the inf cloak. Due to lag, by the time they uncloak and are shooting you on your screen you are half dead on theirs. The inf cloak exacerbates lag. That is if you didn't see them while they were cloaked. Infs have attackers advantage almost all the time, they can choose their targets, come from behind uncloak and you are dead before you know what hit you.

This game already has a very high latency and 1v1s are often a dice roll. Its kind of broken.
    • Up x 1
  10. Axehilt

This seems like a non-issue, and feels like the OP just wants the HA to be an automatic win class for every combat situation (including those where an infiltrator completely gets the drop on a player.)

I do feel like Adv Laser Sight could be toned down by a very small amount, since hip fire accuracy in this game gets pretty ridiculous with that thing. But that's about it, and not SMG-specific.
  11. ThePackage

Those were the days!
  12. Takoita

The only problem I have with those is how they can out-DPS - with better accuracy on the move to boot - my double AI MAX. That just makes me sad :(
  13. JonboyX

One question. Only one.

Given that sniping is a lottery (non OHK with sniper rifle headshots).... what would you have infiltrators do?

Their original role from PS1, where they were conceived, has long gone. This game is too simple for the infiltrators of old; hence the assassin role.
  14. Unclematos7

The only silly thing about SMGs is their insanely good cone of fire bloom. That needs to be toned down.
  15. Littleman

Some people think being in an outfit automatically makes one a better player.

Except most "commanders" have no idea what they're doing and sound about as inspiring as Garfield.

I think SMG infils are fine where they are. I've been killed by them. I've also seen their shimmer and unhesitantely gunned them down. I've also been in straight up exchanges of fire with them and both died and killed them many times. I've also been on the infiltrator side of all of these scenarios.

To me, the infiltrator brings to infantry game play the same necessary variety a MAX does to keep things exciting. I get more upset when an HA with a pump shotty nails me in a single shot or when I'm watching a door for a few seconds, no one comes through, and the second I turn away someone's opened fire on me and I drop in seemingly two rounds or when drop pod after drop pod after drop pod of immortal, invisible engineers/HA rain precisely on top of a sunderer AMS and blow it to smithereens and there's nothing anyone defending the sunderer can do about it.

In light of all that BS, one of which is by the game's own design (making it unforgivable) and not pure dumb luck, SMG infils aren't nearly so aggravating.
  16. Drasilov

The problem with SMG's is you are dead before you even register the decloak sound. They kill my NW4 heavy pretty much instantly. If the guy is facing you and you start firing, he can decloak, fire and kill you before you can kill him. The SMG is almost an instant kill if you don't have your shield up.

Also I'm colourblind and seeing these guys when stealthed is actually damn difficult.

I'm always seeing these flies on the tower getting cheap kills - if its not the infils its LA's. I try to clean the tower of infiltrator filth when I can. At least LA's have the decency to fight you without hiding :)

One other bad side effect of the SMG is - if you cloak or decloak next to me I will start firing. Hard luck if you are friendly. If the were a bit less lethal I might check first.
  17. HadesR

Yeah LA's never ever find a perch to hide in then drop down to instagib you with a shotgun.

And if they nerf SMG's players will find something else to moan about ..

" I play on low and the Infi + Auto rifle can kill me "
    " I didn't hear the cloak and Commis + knife combo is OP "

But give me back OHK HS at any range BASR's and I will gladly trade in my SMG .. But some people wont be happy till infi's run around with just knives ... and they will still complain ..
  18. Drasilov

No lets give them harsh language - we don't want scum being too OP ;)
  19. The Shermanator

They were competitive well enough in close range before the SMGs. The scout rifles were well enough. In beta, infs had shotguns. SoE took them away. Then they gave them SMGs. This is the epitome of re-tar-ded.

I just hope and pray that infils don't wise up on a broad scale and start EMPing rooms before going in with their SMGs. The holocaust will be outrageous.
  20. CNR4806

No thanks. The only reason I purchased them is that they are decent weapons that I can use across all classes.
    • Up x 2