Does anyone even care about MLG

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raichu, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Dkamanus

Who cares about competitive play in a game where a single hail of bullets drops two players? There is no point in making this a competitive game, you are just alienating your own community with the idea that pro gaming matters more then the regular costumers. Damn, even League of Legends didn't start out competitive. It build up though years, trial and error, but only before having a core game working completely, with all things balanced the best as possible, and with a lot of options given to the players.

As of right now, the game isn't interesting enough, because it failed big time to cater the "huge war soldiers" players. We love WAR, not necessarily big battles. This was, somewhat, being cattered by the game, until lanes where introduced, then it bore people the **** out. Add that almost the majority of the community disliked the Pro gaming idea (as shown in the roadmap on the subject), the devs are still making the wrong shots for this game. It seems such a homogenized game nowadays, so...equal...to others, that people will have a tendency to lean on the new games coming, since they are "more of the same, but with another coat of paint".

Give up on MLG. Try again in a few years (like, in 3 years), when the game is better fleshed out, MORE people are again playing it for the variety (Shoot, shoot, shoot, I'll watch CoD, for that matter) then think of battle islands. Until then, close the deal with MLG or it will help kill Planetside 2.
  2. Earthman

The problem was that this game, like some other recent titles, tried and failed to make the "competitive" crowd come early instead of letting interest in it naturally develop, if it develops at all.
  3. travbrad

The reason is that SOE will have to devote some resources to MLG, and those are resources that could be used on the real game. I would bet less than 1% of the playerbase will be involved in MLG, so if there are more than about 2 people working on MLG stuff that's already too many.

Look at all the most popular spectator "e-sports" and you'll notice none of them are FPSs either. It's very hard to make an FPS into a good e-sport (for spectators). Even Tribes:Ascend didn't succeed and that was basically football with guns.
    • Up x 1
  4. Phyr

CS did/does (?) it, COD does it, but COD is, well, COD. BF4 could be a pretty good "e-sport" if it had a proper spectator camera and maybe a few competition only tweaks (medic revives).
  5. Axehilt

Yeah Planetside's core defining trait is epic war, while competitive gaming relies on small teams or solo play (ie not epic war.)

They should completely abandon MLG efforts in favor of going deep on their core strength.
    • Up x 2
  6. Axehilt

Well let's not pretend FPSes can't be great competitive platforms. Even nowadays there's a pretty good-sized Counterstrike scene, and Halo's scene has been pretty large over the years too.

The crucial difference is the successful competitive FPSes have small teams or solo play, while Planetside is about massive war and just won't provide as interesting gameplay at a smaller scale than it was originally designed.

The larger the mandatory team size is for competitive play, the fewer competitive teams will exist which introduces all kinds of problems and generally just prevents a competitive scene from existing beyond a certain point.
  7. Earthman

Totally agree.
  8. notw2

Im sorry should I have also Said that I never care a bit about my KDR so when i die I dont get all pissed off like a little school girl because it hurt my KDR?
    Yeah I could have taken them out a good amount of the time without killing myself but As i said I don't care about what my KDR looks like So i just went in to die and to take people with me. People are ******** when it comes to KDR to a point where they care about it SOOO much they will stop playing for a bit because they start being killed to much and they don't wanna hurt it. Players to Care about it and have a high KDR are not skilled or Competitive they are just babys
  9. SinerAthin

I know, I'm just saying that sport stadiums IRL have their own worth :p

I'm not implying that MLG carries that much, if any prestige.
  10. Silver Fox

Nope, not interested in being in the uber1337PrOMLG420nocsope360wears-white-on-Indar-and-teabags-constantly club. That's for ages 12 and under only.

MLG has brought enough pre-teen angst to PS2 already.
  11. Tragachinos

Care?
    Why would you care about something poorly organized that isn't entertaining to watch or participate in?
    Myself, I only watched half of one of the first war reports back in april and half of the last one (because UVG/TFDN guys are complaining a lot about it). I dunno, I find it more entertaining watching my 9 y/o nephew killing zombies in Minecraft than MLG War Reports.
  12. HMR85

No, I don't care about MLG at all. Its poorly organize has horrible commentators and it just doesn't feel like Planetside. If I wanted to do MLG there are plenty of other games out there that do it way better. Trying to fit a game that's meant for 1000s of players into some preconceived little box with stupid *** rules/restrictions is asinine. MLG in Planetside is not Planetside.
  13. Kugelfisch

Absolutely not.
    Having been in a clan for a very long time that played mostly niché games I learned quickly that those huge leagues often have one of two MOs for any given game, evident by examples of the ESL:

1. Have incredibly stupid rules. Like banning all highlevel skills in BRINK, regardless of the balance.

2. Having no rules at all ROFLLOL. Like with AvP 2010 where the Predator was unbalanced beyond belief.

The MLG isn't any better. For any sport you need a set of rules and a set place that allows you to have comparable outcomes with even chances. PS2 lacks especially in the latter part. That doesn't make it a bad game, just not one for e-sport.
  14. Sordid

I can't speak for others, but I couldn't care less about MLG. As others have pointed out, PS2 is patently unsuitable for esports.
  15. EvilPhd

MLG will dictate weapon balance around a VERY narrow selection of what MLG considers L33T weapons and "balanced" gameplay. Everything on weapon design will be based on this narrow scope. MLG will ban weapons. This is proven history with MLG. Those tunnel visioned balance issues neglect things that are not banned, which then get carried down to the non MLG players who now find their main weapon severely nerfed because while it may provide balance against the normal ruleset, it is now OP in MLG ruleset with the limited weapons.

Therefore your PUB game is widly screwed up even more. Rule sets that get determined in MLG, effect rule sets and gameplay for the PUBS. That is the nature of the beast otherwise you might as well make two different games. Now you have this PUB vs PRO war. Both live in different worlds and can not relate to each other. You have further fractionating of the community that should be united, rather than divided. All over this narrow MLG playset. Therefore the way the game is played starts cartering towards a narrow niche focus.

Since there is $$ on the line - you better believe MLG has influence over SOE, otherwise there would be no need for a "contract".
    • Up x 1
  16. Yuukikun

You are trying to give excuses why your KDR is low saying you're as good as the proes, but KDR shows your capacity to survive fights. It's like saying "i'm pro but all the statistics saying otherwise are wrong!''. There are alot of people who don't care about their KDR and yet still get a high one, because they are just better than you
  17. iccle

I was very interested in MLG initially but since watching each broadcast have become less and less interested. There are a few issues that really need sorted out with urgent high priority, at the moment each MLG broadcast seems to be a complete unprofessional biased shambles with at least one of the commentators spending far to much time self promoting and using the MLG broadcasts as a personal soap box to recruit for his own benefit.

Commentators should be strictly neutral, taking part in the competition should exclude you from being one of the main commentators, and you should at least have a working knowledge of the game. Guest commentators should not at any time have the ability to communicate with the people taking part in the competition, this removes the temptation to give insider information particularly when the guest commentators have access to free roam camera view.

Planetside2 by definition is geared toward the casual player yet from what I have seen so far from MLG only people who have the time to dedicate to practicing full time stand any chance of taking part or providing any game play worth watching, its exclusive at the start when it should have been inclusive from the start. NUC should rest at the top of a large ladder of outfits taking part with casual players resting in the bottom tiers, instead they seem to be king of the hill of 2-3 outfits at most who can take part and most of these seem to be a mix of a few outfits who join together in order to take part.

There are no clearly defined rules of engagement. (feel free to link me to the MLG rule set page I cannot for the life of me find it) I have played in several different gaming leagues over the years and in each one the rule set has been standardized and is explained to all competitors well in advance of them having to play. Such as map rotation, objectives, start time etc. These are fundamental when it comes to deciding whether people can take part or not.
    Particular attention must be paid to start time it is crucial that it is abundantly clear to all players what time the competition starts if you truly want to make the competition feel open and inclusive to all players across the world then you need to move away from advertising only in local time, GMT/UTC or risk lots of confusion over start times which give 'home grown' players a distinct advantage. Within minutes of the latest MLG war report broadcast starting it was clear that the game had been started half an hour early from the stated start time, in any other league i have played in this would have rendered the match null and void.

Playing games on an unstable server is a huge no no, the test server is not the place for fielding your 'pro' gaming scene. The server should be a fixed build for the entire duration of the season so that all competitors play under exactly the same conditions.

Reputation and consistency is everything in competition, if a competition is perceived to be unprofessionally organised or refereed then it will simply drive away potential competitors and spectators, bad word of mouth is very very difficult to reverse.
    • Up x 2
  18. Silver Fox

What's sad is that people care about a one-line-of-text statistic more than they care about playing the game. They also need someone to point at and say "I'm better than you." Might as well just whip it out and get it over with, guys. :rolleyes:

The rest of us will continue to play the game because, well, it's a game.
  19. Yuukikun

If you read his first post, you'll see he believes he's pro even though his KD is bad, and then saying KD is useless because it makes him look not as good as he thinks. I'd gladly analyse the whole stats about his char and give him a verdict.

Since you seems to only take in consideration about people who brag about their KD in forums, you are not considering that only a small minority of players ever even go on forums. I could use the same process of thinking as you and say, ''your KD is low? you suck''

Both are not true. There's high kd players who suck, and low kd people who aren't that bad. However, there is a correlation with K/D and performence in game.

But ofcourse if you only want to look at the zerg and vehicle kd padders, that's your own problem

*edit*
    i don't believe alot of people care more about this stat than the whole game. It's a way for many to have a quick feedback on their performance giving them the will to play better and also more. You don't have to use KD, but you also don't have the right to say people using KD as feedback are wrong. Like you said, it's a game, and stats are part and made from the game. I'd also say the person who needs some ''i'm better than you'' attention is the guy who goes making a post on forums saying ''MY KD SUCKS BUT I ARR BETTER THAN U''
  20. IamDH

I'm rather confused by what you are saying. I understand that MLG have their own rules and regulations but why would pubs follow these rules? Thats like you making a platoon and forcing everyone to not use UBGL. If they want to use it they will, its not really something you can force a player to do

I was unaware that SOE has a contract with MLG