Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. KAHR-Alpha

This is exactly the right way to do it, and unless low graphics disable shaders completely (I really hope they're not actually trying to support pre-shader graphics cards) this shouldn't be an issue, I wish we could have a dev input on that.
    • Up x 1
  2. MarlboroMan-E

Count me on the dark nights side of the thing.
    • Up x 2
  3. Goretzu

Looks like a good solution, or mitigation at least.
  4. Unclematos7

Why would people be opposed to such a thing?
    • Up x 1
  5. Zorro

Darker nights must stay; in fact, they should be even darker and require the use of flashlights/headlights/night vision. Darkness strengthens the role of stealth and makes for more tactical gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  6. Being@RT

Check out this thread, which used to be on Gameplay Discussion before someone saw fit to try and end its life over at Suggestions and Ideas: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/bring-back-the-beta-night.109783/

Started back in March, it's been active since then and is now up to 68 pages. It would be a much larger thread if it hadn't been moved.
    It even has SOE responses in it, including about the current experiment over at test server and not just from things well in the past. Moreover, most of the feedback is still perfectly valid since little has changed regarding visibility (the recent camo change and adjustments to IRNV/Thermal sights).

Now that SOE attention was given to the issue, it's not a surprise that multiple threads pop up as a result, but these threads kept popping up regularly even without SOE commentary (or changes on test server for that matter). I maintain that there hasn't been a lack of feedback, but there _has_ been a lack of interaction between devs and players. This is an issue many players feel strongly about, and the only reason they didn't give more feedback all this time was because they thought devs aren't listening.

---

edit: one more issue to take into account - Lockon weapons, unless tweaked, may be able to detect a target at long range despite it being completely invisible, even if special shaders are used to prevent brightness/gamma adjustments from being effective.
    • Up x 1
  7. Boomotang

The whole point of having attachments in the same slot is to make the player choose between different benefits. It's why if we get darker nights, not everyone will be running around with flashlights and NV scopes. Choosing a certain benefit over another is exactly what "tactics" are.

"Do I want to have an NV scope on so I can quickly see enemies at 50m (or whatever the range is) without giving my position away with a flashlight?" No one runs around all the time scoped in. You can't get from cover to cover efficiently that way. It also gives you a disadvantage at longer ranges.

"Do I want to equip a flashlight so I can quickly gun down enemies run and gun style with a shotgun or LMG?" This gives your position away, but can be on even when running from point to point. You can also turn off the flashlight.

"Do I want to forgo both NV scope and flashlight in favour of a long range scope and flash suppressor so I can take out enemies that are using the previous tactics from farther away?"

Then there are the decisions of choosing between flashlight or forward grips and under barrel launchers. The idea is to have to make decisions. Not to always have everything you need.
    • Up x 3
  8. Ash87

Okay, as to the whole lack of feedback thing:
    People complain all the time about there being a lack of responses, feedback, requests for information and everything else from the Devs. You are commenting in a thread that was started because the devs were asking for forum responses on this, in an issue that was taken out and has, as you pointed out here, has actually spawned a 68 page thread on the ideas section.

There, you got a response right there. They put darker nights back into test. Response.

I understand: "...And carthage must be destroyed" is good and all as a tactic to try and and get your point across, but because the devs come to people's houses and sit in their living rooms asking them for their orders for the perfect videogame like a waiter, doesn't mean things aren't being read. It is absolutely mind boggling to me that people think that the PS2 community is neglected. I was recently following a game called Medieval Mayor, there were people on that forum posting daily and it took until about half a month ago for the devs to come to the forums and say that things were cancelled, and after people started practically giving out their bank account numbers to support the game they got 0 response. I posted on the Taleworld's forums a long while, and never once saw a developer post. I recall the Skyrim forums where again, never once saw a dev post in months of posting.

This is one of those issues in which people wont be satisfied until each and every post has a dev response, and that is quite simply a ridiculous standard to attempt to achieve without a freaking division of people at SOE being dedicated to the job. By my observations, SOE has 3-5 people who do full time community relations. That isn't enough in any universe to have responses to each and every suggestion, complaint, post, etc. And often there are responses to people's issues, it's just it's responded to elsewhere. So You'll get a response on reddit, but people on the PS2 forums dont' read reddit, so they don't see it and complain that they don't get attention. When the response is on the PS2 forums people on PSU complain about not getting attention. When it is on PSU, people complain about that too.

There is never going to be enough feedback to some people and if there is too much directed at individuals those people will get accusations of being favorited... etc. etc. etc. This whole issue is in response to something the playerbase has Wanted. I see that as a win, and I still say that people are much more likely to post the negative than the positive, being much more likely the reason for this.

On topic:
    To lock ons and night time... make lock on rockets bright with white phosphorous trails. Or apply that bloody striker maintain lock nonsense to all lock ons... And give them all white phosphorous trails.
    • Up x 2
  9. Boomotang

Haha! I never really cared too much about Vanu's slight darkness advantage. But I never considered it that way before. That's awesome, and it's a cool Vanu trait. Kind of makes the Vanu feel more bad *** rather than thinking of them as the spandex wearers.
  10. daniel696

11. SolLeks

WTB Darker night!
    • Up x 1
  12. Iridar51

We already require different loadouts for close combat, long range combat, stealth combat, various camouflages, for those who use them. Now you want to double that number of loadouts for night time? It's such a chore.

I want to play the game, not to spend half an hour at the loadout screen figuring how I want to play it.

It would be fine and cool to have a separate "dark" bases or even a dark continent, where the night reigns at all times. But to spend time constantly changing back and forth between night and daytime loadouts is tedious.
    • Up x 1
  13. Baconite

+1 Vote for darker nights.
    • Up x 1
  14. Takoita

How come? It's not even an exploit.
  15. Gammit

I want darker nights, absolutely. It would be better if a few video adjustments couldn't counter it, but I'll take it as it is on TEST even without!
    • Up x 2
  16. Revanmug

No soldier from any military worth his salt would dare use a Flashlight in a possible firefight.

Doing so is asking to be kill as soon as you light it up.
    • Up x 2
  17. Takoita

If it's gonna force me to remove the life-saving laser sight on my pea-shooter of a TR gun in favour of a flashlight (that lights you up and doesn't bloody work anyway), then hell to the no.

It would cool if all the preparatory work mentioned above was made beforehand, but knowing our track record I don't trust SOE to do it right at this juncture. Thus I vote for delaying darker nights.
  18. Gammit

You have my vote with you're sound reasoning.
  19. NikkoJT

I support darker nights IF
    Brighter and longer-range headlights
    Brighter and longer-range flashlights
    Separate attachment slot for flashlights

Also nice: certable floodlight racks for tanks and Sunderers, and Free Look-controlled spotlights for ESFs and Liberators. The Gal being able to light up the area below it would be neat too.
  20. Liquid23

they won't and no it's not

lol @ adjusting in game settings is cheating