Thoughts on the new old nights and black nights.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by CrazyCanadian24, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Alilua

Dark nights in beta were amazing and really added to the immersion, not to mention made tracer fire really important. The darker the better uses for flashlights and nightvision
    • Up x 1
  2. SideOfBeef

The part you seem to be ignoring is that you're SUPPOSED to have trouble seeing. The answer isn't to strain your eyes, it's to use the in-game tools available (flashlights, headlights, IRNV, NV/Thermal, stay around bases). Do you also "strain your eyes" trying to snipe people with iron sights?

The tools to solve this problem are plentiful and effective, and the game is better for forcing people to seriously consider using them instead of the usual options. The same goes for most aspects of any class-based multiplayer game. Sorry if you don't want to adapt.
    • Up x 1
  3. CrazyCanadian24

Allow me to pick apart everything you've said thus far:

You're not supposed to squint, you're supposed to use your flashlight/night vision. Also, if you can't see other people against dark backdrops, odds are they're experiencing the same thing - it's a level playing field.

This is a poor attitude. Instead of simply taking it for what it is, you should have asked me why your opinion was being detrimental to the gaming industry.

Okay, good gameplay =/= lack of immersion. The two elements are completely independent of one another. actually, scratch that, good immersion can, if done properly, supplement good gameplay.

And this is why your opinion is so detrimental: by darkening the nights, you're presenting the player with a unique set of challenges only present during night time, as well as (hopefully) providing the player with a set of tools to help them overcome those challenges, in addition to diversifying the game as a whole. By creating a challenge, you also force the player to think differently about how they play the game, which encourages a more thoughtful playstyle. By arguing against simply making the nights darker (and adding a few small features to supplement it), you're robbing PS2 of that potential for more thoughtful playstyles, as well as watering down the game experience as a whole. Now do you understand?
    • Up x 1
  4. lareneon1

I agree with almost all of these points pushing for darker nights and would like to emphasize a few.

- Flashlights must be made useful and universal/easily accessible.
    - Bases need to still be lit up properly, cmon guys we can all see this was not on purpose. Just bad implementation.
    - It must be obvious at the continent terminals what time of day each continent is in.

Only one point i disagree with

- Some limited flashlight customization should be available. I suggest balanced variants like wide-beam, tight beam and maybe a dim red version for more covert ops.
    • Up x 1
  5. lareneon1

Perfectly said. I agree 100%
    • Up x 2
  6. AnuErebus

I get that it's there to make it "hard" to see. That's never going to stop anyone from trying to see and that trying to see is where the problem lies Tools will always be limited in what they can do and if they aren't well, what's the point of making them required in the first place?
    • Up x 1
  7. Itermerel

havent logged in to these forums in a long time but I just wanted to say that I absolutely HATE dark nights.
    • Up x 2
  8. CrazyCanadian24

Care to tell us all why?
  9. VSDerp

im up for darknights.will make the game more fun. hey devs which post has the most replys to it?? the bring back beta nights post that should tell you 90% of the community wants dark nights back.
    • Up x 4
  10. Itermerel

to me, it adds nothing to the game other than being annoying as hell. i hate having low visibility

it annoys me like absurd bloom on medium/high/ultra graphics. low settings are my favorite because there is high visibility
    • Up x 2
  11. CrazyCanadian24

Yes, not being able to see anything at all is bad game design, but as I have said previously, the game provides you with tools to overcome this challenge, and the whole point of making visibility poor under these circumstances is so that you, the player, have incentive to use these tools, which leads to better diversity while encouraging thoughtful gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  12. shackers

Adding darker nights and more weather effects would increase the overall quality of the game aswell as adding tactical and strategic depth allowing for different approaches to night time fighting
    sound will also become much more important which with further deepen close quarter combat

I have yet to see a good reason (negative gameplay effects) as to why we shouldnt have darker nights

The most common counter argument is about people not wanting to even make the effort to see in the dark using one of the many NV options (IRV guns scopes [on all guns], torches [on all guns] ,vehicle NV [on all guns] ,vehicle thermal [on all guns] ,headlights [on all land vehicles] base lighting [in every base], natural lighting [ rising/setting sun,moon shine, silhouettes on hill lines]

OR YOU COULD HIDE IN THE WARPGATE UNTIL DAY TIME

-shackers-
    • Up x 3
  13. BRG7780

If thermals worked the way they did in beta, I'd be okay with the change.

If flashlights had a range further than 5m, I'd be okay with the change.

If bases were illuminated properly with floodlights and such, I'd be okay with the change.

As it is, if the darker nights gets added, I'll simply do what I've done since the change to the VS color scheme: turn up my gamma to the max. Enjoy getting farmed while looking at the pretty tracers, *********.
    • Up x 1
  14. Itermerel

translation: id be forced to use an IRNV scope, and cripple myself against infiltrators

ill pass
    • Up x 1
  15. BRG7780

There's nothing stopping you knuckleheads from turning your gamma down to zero. Enjoy the "dark" nights.

If it isn't broken, don't bother wasting resources to "fix" it.

Adding darker nights will simply cause massive forum rage and it'll get removed again, just as it was in beta.
    • Up x 2
  16. shackers

Then dont stop darker night just ask for those thing to be fixed
    • Up x 1
  17. BRG7780

Bro, I can tell you're very passionate about darker nights; I don't want to piss on your parade. I'd much rather them concentrate on optimization and gameplay balance than adding an element that makes it even more difficult to see enemy players at night.

The level of night in-game right now is an excellent balance between obscured visibility and fluid gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  18. CrazyCanadian24

You clearly haven't read the entire OP. Go do that, then we'll talk.

I don't even have a counter argument for this. It's just senseless raging.
  19. BRG7780

Oh, I read it, bro. You essentially want to add a ******** of work to the devs. Shoulder-mounted lights, rebalanced thermals, etc, etc... s--tcan all that nonsense and let them balance what's already in the game.
    • Up x 1
  20. CrazyCanadian24

See, the problem here is that I don't even understand what the f**k you're trying to say. Be clear about your point, and instead of randomly SHOUTING at people just because you don't agree with them, provide actual, tangible arguments as to why they're wrong in a calm, mature, clinical tone.
    • Up x 1