what's all the fuss with SMG?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bibibla, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bibibla

We all know there is two kinds of SMG : empire specific and NS PDW. Empire specific one are deadly in close quarter combat, but the PDW is made for medium range fighting.

And many believe the NS PDW is better overall, because there is more fight at medium range than close range.

But seriously, is there a reason to use an SMG in the first place? Because any class can use it, an SMG have to compete with every other weapon in the game !

Compared to almost all carbine, LMG and assault rifle, the NS PDW is a piece of shiny metal s****. We are left with the infiltrators, but they have acces to automatic scout rifles for 250 certs, ie one fourth of PDW's price (it may increase to 1 third once fully upgraded).

We are back to empire specific SMG. They shine below 10 meters, where shotguns are allready kings...

So what's the point? CQC infiltrator is the only valid build with it. And it's not a build you often fight, neither with nor against.
  2. NikkoJT

Are you serious? SMGs are accurate, high damage bullet hoses at much longer range than you'd think. They have very short TTKs, and I have been outgunned as a Gauss SAW heavy by an SMG infiltrator.
    • Up x 4
  3. Goden

Every time I think of SMG's I think of SMG-Cloakers and then I feel like punching through my monitor
    • Up x 5
  4. Simferion

Lol... if you were in Close Quarter it's quite normal :)
    I outgunned 2 shotgun users in a row in CQB with Gauss Saw+Knife
  5. Jogido

I've been messing with the automatic scout rifle and my initial evaluation is that you get what you pay for. I think the NS PDW is a better weapon and is pretty much the same role if you are willing to spend the certs for it.

I run into smg cloakers quite a bit and they are certainly deadly/annoying...maybe it depends on the server you are on?
  6. MrMurdok

Forgot to press F, did we?

The whole point of the SMG was to cater to the Infiltrators who were crying bloody murder for the lack of CQC option (no, the scout rifles are not viable CQC weapons). The fact that other classes use them, well, I guess they don't know about auto shotguns or something.

You're pushing it here. A decked out Stalkermis-20 will beat a decked out NS-7 at range.
    • Up x 1
  7. Rogueghost

A HA should never lose a fight to a SMG cloaker outside 10 meters.
    Press F and laugh as bullets bounce off you.
    Even inside 10 meters as long as you aren't running on low graphics a HA shouldn't be losing many fights vs SMGs.

Also to the OP, last time I checked most people considered the NS-PDW trash.
  8. teks

yeah, outside of infil, my carbine beats my sirius hands down.

Heres one perk. With one purchase you can get a close-quarters carbine across all your classes. thats economically effecient.
  9. LibertyRevolution

>6m ES SMG is better.
    NS-PDW is the weapon for the 10m-25m range.
    Scout riffles are better at 25+ range.

Don't sleep on HA running in towers with a Sirius, they will make you dead really quickly...
  10. SpaceKing

Powerful, rapid gun across many ranges, true all-class.

It's a wonder they aren't mounted to aircraft yet.
  11. Oreo202

The PDW is bad. Shotguns are hardly kings of anything, neither are SMGs.
  12. phreec

AF-4 Cyclone > *
  13. TheAntiFish

Honestly the ridiculously accurate hipfire of guns like the Blitz and Cyclone give you such an advantage within bases that it's almost not worth using anything else*. I mean in the split second that you're aiming down the sights and lining up your shot an ES-SMG user will have already devastated you because he had .2/.3 of a second less time faffing around with all of this "Aiming" nonsense.

Pdw... not so much, I think it's just a preference but i really dislike it, it has a random recoil that disagrees with me.

*(Unless you're Vanu and have a laser sighted Orion.)
  14. Raital

Yeah. I'd rather have a Cyclone in my hands than any other weapon in the NC arsenal, so much so that the Cyclone would be the only weapon I missed if I switched factions.
  15. Bill Hicks

16. ST4LK3R

Screw Orion. My HA uses Sirius and Eridani more that my Infiltrator does these day. Eridani is not that good because of (25 rounds mag and having to reload after 2 kills) but I enjoy using Sirius on my HA. May be Orion is better but it looks boring.
  17. teks

Orion has terrible hipfire accuracy, and only gets basic laser sight.

The vx6-7 however has great hipfire accuracy equal to an SMG initially. I would take that over an SMG
  18. TheAntiFish

Sorry, i haven't played a lot of vanu, i just notice that i die to Orions A LOT.
  19. teks

Yeah, they are strong, but its not because of their amazing hipfire accuracy.
  20. TheAntiFish

I assumed it was, due to how quickly i seemed to die from it :p

Plus it worked nicely for me in VR