Client desynchronization after an hour or so

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UrocyonFox, Oct 25, 2013.

1. UrocyonFox

The week or so I have been playing planet side 2 so far, it's been awesome, but I seem to have run into a problem. I've been having an issue with my game that I am hoping someone can point me to a fix for. My game runs flawlessly for a while, usually around an hour, and then it does something that makes it unplayable. I think the term here is desynchronization. Shots no longer hit, and if I keep playing for much longer, I start to see players and vehicles teleporting short distances. Since I play Heavy Assault a lot, a good indicator of this problem starting to happen for me is if I see myself make a direct hit with a rocket, see the explosion and everything, and receive no damage indication like the xp award for doing damage or like the red X over the cross hair that normally indicates a hit. Other players have no trouble seeing (and shooting) me however, so this leads me to believe that the problem is entirely on my side. Other people in the same battle with me report no such issues either, and can easily hit me with weapons normally. This problem is much more likely to appear when I am in a large fight with lots of people doing lots of things.

Attempted fixes and observations so far:
    • Alt+F frame rate counter says I am still getting plenty of frames, usually 30-40 even in crowded areas. The game has no performance drop off in this regard.
    • High precision event timer fix- I tried this as seen in some other threads, but it had no effect on the game. My i7 is running it's stock clock anyway.
    • Firewall- tried turning off ping flood, and making sure PS2 is not getting blocked by anything. Made sure Avast isn't interfering either. Besides, the game runs flawlessly for the first hour or so, but I tried it anyway.
    • Ram- memory usage has not gone way up, or at least not that I have noticed. The game is using about 2.4 gigs of my 12 total.
    • Tried reinstalling the game, that didn't make a difference.
    So far, the only solution I have found is to log out of the game entirely and restart it from the desktop shortcut. I have not yet tried logging out just to the character select screen and reentering from there. When I exit the game all the way when its going crazy, usually I get the windows "planetside2.exe has stopped responding, windows is trying to find a solution" or something box, the one that only has a cancel button. It's the default program not responding dialogue for windows 7.

It seems to be crashing on exit when I was having problems in game, and I usually don't get that message when I exit when the game is behaving normally. I think this is some sort of major hint as to what is going on with my game bugging out, but I am not sure what it means. I guess it could be some sort of symptom of a memory leak, but like I said above, the game is not using an abnormally large amount of memory. How much should it use in normal operation?

Also, I should note another minor problem I have seen in the game that is probably unrelated, but I shouldn't leave it out in case it is. The continent teleport stations at the warp gate with the globe on them seem to cause my Z-buffer to go out when viewed from the side. I get a bunch of big black boxes on screen right over the screen part of the station. I took a video, of this, I'll post it if anyone thinks it will help. I didn't get a video of my main issue though, I will make one when I get home if anyone needs one.
  2. Pin_Cushion

I have exactly the same problem as you. If I play longer than 15-30 minutes people start warping all over the place. I've also found that this happens when I'm in large battles, and if I leave the crowded area (like just run in a direction for a while) that the desync will fix itself once I'm far away from the fighting. But once I get back in the fray it comes back within a few minutes.

Sometimes this doesn't help at all, and I have to completely restart the client.

I've tried numerous Bios tweaks, running at low graphics, closing everything that's running, turning on my HPET clock, and so forth. Nothing has worked.
  3. Paulus

OP are you playing over a Wi-Fi connection? I've seen some pretty nasty packet loss induced problems before.