New Biolab

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Phyr

Don't worry, it's still a ******** meat grinder.
  2. Pikachu

Not about biolab but... Indar Excavation Site has got some little strange base added and 1 or 2 corals.
    • Up x 1
  3. Zorro

I like the changes, except that having to go through the vehicle bay and a small, vulnerable spawn room seems silly, as others have pointed out. I would rather that the "basement" below the main floor be used more.
  4. Nocturnal7x

I agree, needs traffic lights.

Seriously guys, who designed this thing? It took me 1 second to realize what an epic failure of a design it is.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kociboss

"This way, idiots."
  6. Selerox

Dear god who the hell thought this was a smart idea?

Biolab fights were (and that past tense will likely stick around if these changes stay) one of the better things in PS2. But for some unknown reason SOE will not stop screwing around with them.

No-one had that much of a problem with them in the first place, and this looks very much like the usual SOE story of trying to fix something that doesn't need a lot of fixing, only to break it worse than it ever was before.

Small changes please SOE. Don't just jump in and wreck stuff by doing too much too fast. I've lost count of the times that you've ruined things only to revert them back after weeks of insanity. Over-nerfing the Magrider a few months back springs to mind.
    • Up x 1
  7. RadCavalier

Ladies and Mentlegen, this just in: Biodomes are now a minorly different variant of Tech plants. NC MAXs to lose all advantage in the now wide open spaces. SOE continues screwing with one of the last remaining "good" battle settings of the game in their continuing quest to homogenize the entire game into an amorphous khaki blob of zergery.
  8. umbrellapower

It's just artificially increasing the amount of time defenders can get back to the fight. I can understand why they did it.

But making defenders go through the vehicle bay? I don't think they've played enough of their own game to understand what happens when those shields go down. Tanks and explosive lovers will just camp the teleporters to kill any hapless players foolish enough to go through the teleporter. Another classic example of SOE actively rewarding such intricate and deep playstyles like the High Explosives Artisan/Spammer.
    • Up x 3
  9. IamDH

You know what biolabs really need?

Disabling all explosive/splash damage inside of them
  10. RadCavalier

I think you hit the nail on the head, umbrellapower. They don't play enough of their own game.
    • Up x 1
  11. MykeMichail

Good things:

- Attacks and defenders aren't going to have their FPS dropped so hard by people sitting at terminals in the spawn room.
    - The reduced visibility from the teleport room from the vehicle bay means more occlusion and less to render, meaning higher FPS again
    - Reduced ability to use spawn room as a firing position means it will force people to get out of spawn instead of shooting out of it like noobs

Bad things:

- A few big open areas which look unfinished (space between old spawn room location and SCU looks a little bare), this will probably change, but if not, it will make weapons which are less CQC oriented a little more useful in the biolabs, which is also a good thing too
    - No direct access to upper teleport room, defenders forced to pass through vehicle bay. Vehicle bad unsecure due to shield breakers. Also means that when SCU shield gen goes down, defenders are going to have an extremely difficult time getting to the points.

Neutral things (could be considered good or bad):

- Takes a lot longer for defenders to get back into the fight. Currently a person can get killed and be back in your face inside of 40 seconds. This extra delay reduces the 'defender multiplier' (basically the rate at which a single soldier is constantly cycled back into the fight)
    - Defenders can assemble MAX crashes outside the prying eyes of the enemy. Currently its easy to peak spawn rooms and see MAX's assembling.
    - New cover items in some areas of the biolab (A point at Allatum for example) reduce combat distances and increase CQC combat
    - Place looking a little less like a 'farm within a dome' and more like a Quake Team Deathmatch arena.
    • Up x 1
  12. The Shermanator

Just a little nitpick: The shield between the bridges seems kind of silly. If people really have that much of a problem with there being two bridges, just broaden them to connect the two. No need to over-engineer it with a shield.
    • Up x 3
  13. Armory1416

But this isn't Quake or a single Death Match game... It's supposed to be about scale and it's supposed to be difficult to take a fortified position. They talk all about big picture combat and yet show their level of game design abilities is limited to arena play. Bases are supposed to be difficult to take, if defenders have as many or more people then attackers, there shouldn't be levelers to give attackers a chance. As a defender you should be able to use your house to your advantage and be able to hold off a much larger force, it's why you built a damn fort, so afew people could hold off alot of people, not create a ******* battle arena.
    • Up x 2
  14. Teegeeack

That bothered me too. It's so stupid. Who puts a big yellow forcefield to connect two bridges instead of just broadening them?
    • Up x 1
  15. Liewec123

hopefully it'll be awhile (or never) before it makes it in game, so we can still have some fun epic duration biolab fights before just another spawn camping UBGLfest.
  16. MykeMichail

Issue with that is that a Biolab isn't a military installation. Its a farm.

Defenders already have a massive advantage in the form of a spawn which is guaranteed until the attacker bring down both the SCU shield generator and SCU.

Turning every base into a impregnable fortress doesn't fit with what these facilities actually represent.
    • Up x 1
  17. Peebuddy

The idea is to create a longer run time for defenders to reduce their force multiplier. Currently because the spawn room in a stones throw from every objective in the biolab the defenders can often hold out against 3x their numbers. They also widened the corridors so the whole thing isn't one giant meat grinder through bottle necks, flanking is actually possible. You know, infantry combat. People need to stop ******** that their cert farm is being eliminated, you're no better than tanks camping spawnrooms.

However please get rid of the arrows, I know people can get lost but they aren't that dumb
  18. Armory1416

The bio-lab is a self contained terra forming space craft, self contained is what justified the spawn points being inside the facility to begin with. Having defenders literally jump through hoops to defend their own facility defeats the purpose of being a defender. Holding a facility gives you certain advantages, quick secured spawn points is one of them. You're defending a facility, if you're on the same playing field as an attacker you're no longer defending only attacking a structure you already own. It's not about a cert farm it's about having facilities that are reasonable defendable from the inside.
    • Up x 2
  19. UberBonisseur

The "spawn room journey" is, huh, puzzling.

Otherwise, the smaller spawn room was needed.
    The old was a huge behemoth taking entirely too much space.
    • Up x 2
  20. HadesR

Zergtastic changes :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1