Any tactics against a G20 Vulcan-H Harasser?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grazr, Oct 15, 2013.

1. grazr

This vehicle loadout is seriously the bain of my life. They can chew through NC tank columns in moments. If Harraser's could sweat, i'm pretty sure it still wouldn't whilst doing this.

This gun can chew through a lightning in nearly a single clip and a vangaurd fairs little better. All the while it turns infantry into red myst making it almost impossible to support a tank column from these things. The least they could do is give this weapon some half decent spread so it doesn't dominate both tanks and infantry from 100 metres or more, or a limited ammo cache so it can't dominate for extended periods of time. 2 of these can lock down an entire base after clearing up armour no problem.

Lock on's don't deal enough damage assuming they also don't hit obstacles first, good luck hitting it with a dumbfire rocket at more than 30 metres, off road capability makes mines largely void, mana-turrets don't fair much better than dumb fire and the long reload on vangaurd weapons makes these particularly annoying even when there isn't an engineer healing it as it drives. Is this just exceserbated by the NC MBT reload time and lack of high burst damage anti-vehcile weapons or something?

So far the only tactic i've found to work half decent is a situational jumping off a rock when one gets close, dumb firing a rocket straight into the cockpit and then trying to fire off as many rifle rounds into it before i get shot by the mounted gun and HOPE that someone saw me deal enough damage to warrant them gambling to attack it too and finish it off. Ironicly the only time i have ever killed one of these is when the driver gets out or once with a skygaurd. You can usually run one of these down in a ESF using your nose cannon, but that's assuming there's not at least one enemy ESF floating about as it retreats speedily into friendly territoty.

So yea, now that i've got that whine off my chest. How are VS and other NC coping with this devilish contraption? Because most of the time i see one of these taken out is driver error; getting caught on a rock.
    • Up x 8
  2. MajiinBuu

Not many counters to this.
    C4 Fairy rarely works since I think they can aim almost straight up. And that damn composite armor if you do succeed.
    I've tried using the famous dual-comet ZOE MAX, downed in under a second, couldn't even empty a clip.
    Yesterday my magrider was destroyed in under a second by a vulcan. I didn't know it was there until it shot less then a clip into my back, I didn't have time to do anything.
  3. lothbrook

Put C4 on a spot that you notice they keep taking, when they drive over it KABOOM, as long as they don't see you place it, it almost always works, bottom isn't protected from C4 BTW, so its always KABOOM.

Other than that, get accurate with rockets/vehicle weapons, lol.
  4. Ozade

If we get a heads up one is floating round chewing through armor then 2+ heavies with a lancer .... from a nice safe distance is effective. Too close and they'll waste you.
  5. Morti

Galaxy ram is the only correct way to mete out justice to Vulcan harassers.
    • Up x 24
  6. Suiradezza

That's easy. Since it's an anti-vehicle weapon, you attack the harrasser as infantry because AV weapons have a hard time killing infantry.

RIGHT?
    • Up x 11
  7. Torok

Lately I'm losing many many sunderers due to rampaging vulcans harrassers, even if we're 3,4 phoenix users it takes too much time to take one down, it's very rewarding but way too slow to reproduce, you will lose your sundy much before, from now on I will try with the AV lockon launcher, other than that I would go with the Shrike, fast projectile and way easier than a Decimator, that or a lot of small arms fire,

so to sum it up, a lockon launcher is "probably" the most reliable weapon, along with 1-2 basilisks from the Sundy, damn I haven't upgrade them yet
  8. eatcow0

Except they buffed it against infantry RIGHT? (Recall the bullet type change to make it less effective against air and more against inf) Not to mention 90kph + turbo. Please be more intelligent in your response next time. This does not add to the conversation in any way, shape, or form.

If your vs, a group of lancers and vortexes if on foot.
    Some people say halberd harassers are solid but you really can't afford to miss a shot.
    Dalton lib is epic if you have a good gunner and pilot. I hadn't used a dalton in like 2 months and this weekend took out 4 vulcan harassers in 1 run =D Then again hovering at ~550m with 3x zoom is hard for them to deal with.
    In all fairness, if you have a squad of guys on foot and a vulcan comes after y'all, have everyone shoot their primaries if not ha or reloading their rocket if it gets close. Focused fire from multiple sources will either scare it off or kill it in a lot of cases. Training people to do this instead of hiding is another story.
    • Up x 5
  9. Chipay

I wonder in what fantasies some people live in...
    Composite gives the harasser a flat % resistance against explosives, not matter what side hit them.
  10. sodom

The best way is that you and your 20 colleagues use your small arm and simply shoot it to death.

If you don't have 20 colleagues do what any good sheep will do .. let yourself been slaughtered.

Any drivers with some skill can simply evade 75% of approaching rockets. Dump fires can be evaded quite easy and lock on rocket tracking is mostly to slow to follow the harasser resulting in the rocket hitting the ground if you don't fire from it back angle. Tanks have quite a hard time to hit an harasser also. I regularly see two V-Harrasers kill our whole tank column of 4-6 tanks. They always retreat for a few seconds if they are damaged to much to start a new approach that kills one of your tanks and there is nothing you can do to prevent their retreat.
    • Up x 2
  11. Chipay

Indeed, MAXes have negative resistance against the Vulcan.
    • Up x 2
  12. Cinnamon

Basilisk battle bus.

Worf shares top secret strategy from star fleet.

• Up x 6
  13. TimeRabbit

IMO best way to defeat vulcan as NC is to pull an enforcer/ halberd harasser . Always keep a distance and never drive straight. (Max turbo makes a huge difference) Once you land couple shots or 1 shot with the halberd switch to the offense. Also can bait them to a choke and lay AV mines. The vulcan greatest weakness is range. They have to follow you and get close to destroy you making AV mines very plausible. Also ESF destroy harassers you just need to learn the sweet spot in which they can not aim.

I use the Saron Harasser a lot and vulcan harassers are a joke. Evade from a distance while slightly damaging them forcing them to the defense than attack.
    • Up x 5
  14. Suiradezza

Woooosh.
    • Up x 18
  15. Cinnamon

Yes I said that upgraded Saron harasser was superior counter when people first started to complain. Good to see people coming around.
    • Up x 1
  16. Dovahkiin

The only counter to the Vulcan, is to whine on Forumside. We will eventually get it nerfed into uselessness. One day... :D
    • Up x 8
  17. VSDerp

cloak and haul a**. that's what i do.
    • Up x 5
  18. Flying Mug

2/2 MBT with a Halberd. Though they really have no reason to engage unless you're already smoking.

AP Lightning with front armor, rival chassis, and fire suppression works. They usually don't expect Lightnings to be that tough. Spin your hull to keep the front pointed at them.

Massed Lancers should work. The Annihilator used to work but you'd need half a squad of them. The 250 cert G2G lock on is hopeless, especially against Harassers. I can dodge them in a racer Magrider.

Some people have said Halberd Harasser but I have my doubts. You'll either be in range of the Vulcan or they'll be far enough away to be a difficult target and take cover.
    • Up x 3
  19. Torok

lol.. is it really that bad? :( I've got mine but never really tried, as NC we don't have lancers/vortexes so I don't really have an option at hand against such harrassers coming at your sunderer, nevertheless I will try it out today and see what happens, with a couple friends that's it
  20. DashRendar

Yes, true. Except for the fact that TR complained "WAHH my AV weapon is weak against infantry, I mean seriously, look at this! It takes 9 shots to kill a single infantry out of my 60 shot reserve! It's pitiful, how am I supposed to kill infantry with a gun like this?" and TR gets whatever they want, so now it kills in 4-5 shots out of a 60 shot reserve. So much for balance.
    • Up x 7