Ghost Capping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Targanwolf, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Targanwolf

I play Vanu(and I'm a noob )... on Waterson.I'm an early morning riser on occasion.Being new ..at first I did not appreciate what I was seeing,Now I do.Vanu territory is ghost capped routinely.Just like going to work there are a few individuals who just go from one unoccupied base to the next turning then to the other side(every day).Looking back I've see quite a bit of discussion about this.For us noobs.......is this a violation of the game rules a cheesy exploit of the game system or a flaw in the games design that allows unchallenged cert gathering ?
  2. VSDerp

Ghost capping been around since the start. it's not a violation but when i see a certain outfit do it i lose alot of respect for them.
  3. EmmettLBrown

It's just a symptom of times on a server where's there's a low pop on the continent (either time of day or an alert on another continent).
  4. Stromberg

you hardly get any certs for this, comapared to killing or even support. not to mention how incredible boring and dull this also is.
  5. UberBonisseur

There's no ghost capping, only absent defenders.
    • Up x 4
  6. Crowne

There's nothing inherently wrong with it at all, really, unless respect from VSDerp is all that important to you.

There's going to be a change as outlined in this thread:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/wds-preseason-and-upcoming-changes.152266/
    to the scoring system so that taking over a base with no resistance yields fewer points... or something to that effect.

In the meantime, if you find it relaxing to sip a cup of coffee early morning while your house is still quiet and peacefully flying around the relatively large continents of Auraxis... and figure you might as well get a few certs for yourself and points for your empire in the process... go nuts.
  7. BengalTiger

Intercept them.

As Uber just wrote, it's not their fault the VS are giving territory away for free.
  8. IamDH

Please dont make this a lattice/hex thread
  9. Takara

Why? If your empire is to lazy to defend a point....why should you think poorly on the outfit taking advantage of it?
  10. VSDerp

that's just my opinion whats the fun of ghost capping? even if nobody defending a base i wouldn't try and take it. ill look for a battle. but that's just me.
  11. BengalTiger

The game, or at least the WDS, is about capturing and holding territory.

While attacking the weakest, undefended areas in a defensive line might not be sportsmanlike, it does contribute to winning the war.
  12. VirgilSeimoor

I thought the lattice system removed ghost capping...
    But as stated:
    Also what was the population on that continent when that happened? And when did it happen? (Most likely at night...)
  13. MarioO

The only thing new to this is hearing Vanu territory getting ghost captured. Usually the VS have the more nightactive players and thus are usually the ones capturing without having any enemies in their way.

Ghost capping is neither very rewarding (the experience you get for just capturing really isn't that much) nor is it fun. But it's also not against any rules, so people will keep doing it.
    And seriously: When they want to play at times where noone else is playing, there isn't really another thing they even could do.
  14. WyrdHarper

The WDS encourages ghostcapping, unfortunately. Sometimes it's necessary just to build up a buffer of territory so you can get in the face of the enemy and have good fights, but it's a pain and the cert gain is pretty bad.

However, if you see ghostcapping between your two enemy factions, it's a lot of fun to take your vehicle of choice (ESF's are especially great for this) and farm the ghostcappers and the 1-2 guys who will respawn in to defend the territory. It's kind of cheesy, but it does mess with both of your enemies at once and is a good way to capitalise on ghostcapping and make a decent amount of certs/kills during off hours when not much is going on.
  15. pnkdth

Simple fix;
    Have the point flip back to the owner if no one of the faction who's trying to capture the point is left in the hex. You wouldn't be forced to stay at the point but if you leave the hex should constitute a failure and loss of the point.