A pro players guide to nerfing heavies

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bill Hicks, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Phrygen

you think heavy assault is UP?

MY fav part is when you were complaining about engineers being so versatile. Yea they do everything well, except winning 1v1 gunfights, in which case they are the worst off. clearly not a big deal...
  2. Phrygen

and highest damage. That is clearly just for show.
  3. Bill Hicks

You jumped into the argument and had no damn clue what you are talking about. In most cases, a heavy goes in first because
    1. He can actually cap
    2. He has c-4, nades, and rockets to clear a room.

Every attack should be a galaxy drop right? every rush should be a max crash?
    If being a pro is what you are, then Ill gladly remain a nub. Just stop talking and you'll be fine.
  4. Kyouki

Heavies are OP, QQ moar.
  5. Bill Hicks

You are clueless. I never said heavies were weak.

Ill break it down for you.

Developer A: lets nerf Vanguards

Developer B : No, vanguards are BALANCED by these weaknesses.

Developer A : I see your point, Vanguards, do not need to be nerfed.

I merely made a guide for nerfing heavies, but I made a list of things that counter heavies and overlap heavies traditional duties.

winning 1v 1 gunfights? Team game much? Should a heavy out in a open field win against a 2/2 tank ? No? but thatttss UNFFFFAAAAAAAIIIRRRRRR!!!!111111. A heavy should be able to win head to head against a tank in a open field!
    That sounds idiotic right? that's exactly what you sound like.

You want to win against the class that has no support utility, and is built for killing infantry. I want infinite ammo can I have that? can I have a infinite ammo rocket launcher that allows to me to do other things while it coolsdown? Can I repair the harrasser I just jumped in ?
  6. Zotamedu

Same logic applies to C4 dropping LAs. They are effective against both armor and infantry. So they cannot use both C4 and jetpacks at the same time if HAs are forced to give up their rocket launcher. Then there's the engineers. Infinite ammo and AV turret? Can't have someone being able to farm infantry with UBGL and at the same time being able to snipe armour from the other side of the map. So MANA turret and ammo at the same time needs to go.
    • Up x 1
  7. Phrygen

If your posts had any clues as to what you were talking about, people might know what your point is.
    • Up x 2
  8. Bill Hicks

bravo. excellent counterpoint.
    [IMG]
  9. Phrygen

you still haven't clearly stated your point. All you have done is post "cryptic" ramblings, and argue with people making an attempt at understanding what you are trying to say. The stew is strong with you.
    • Up x 2
  10. EvilJollyT

The HA Shield(s) is overly powerful IMO.
  11. Giggily

No, C4 LAs are fine because you're giving up being able to heal yourself to carry it. Being able to use a UBGL, have an AV turret, and also have a supply of infinite ammo on you at the same time is stupid, though.

But again, the HA isn't giving up anything up in comparison to the LA if it loses the RL. It has three guns, only the Engineer can do the same thing, and the Engineer is stupidly versatile too.
  12. P0INTMAN

You... clearly don't have a clue.

Why do MAXES go first on caps? Because they can absorb mines, c4 and nades. heavies don't go first because they aren't of use if they are DEAD because they got hit by a mine around a corner when breaching. Heavies, engineers and medics follow the maxes to support and capture points. If you have a max in your squad, and it ISN'T going first on a breach... YOU. ARE. DOING. IT. WRONG.

I'm all for rushing and breaching, I do it every night I log in. what I'm NOT for is doing it in a half-***** manner that gets me and my entire squad murdered because we didn't work together and send a MAX first through the door. Believe it or not, you can rush and breach a room and hold it against far superior odds if you and your team know what you and your team are doing
  13. ColdCheezePizza

My squad has actually started to send an infil in first to scout the situation and then disorientate everyone by getting them to focus on the door way that we arent coming in from, then when everyones focusing their fire on the infil we come in from behind and stick it to them for a lack of a better term. It works well when the timings executed flawlessly, but usually the max first brute force tactic works just as well for most situations especially NC because of the shield. The infil flank maneuver is better suited for ZOE because of their ability to rush the flank fast enough to catch them with their pants down.
    • Up x 1
  14. P0INTMAN

I've definitely seen that method before, and it does work, at the same time PG has been using the brute force breach for a long time and it has served well for close to a decade of planetside in my experience. I don't see a reason to change something that has worked so well for so long but to each their own. I'd actually like to see cloakers that can perma-cloak and move around even if slowly to act as dedicated scouts and INFILTRATORS.

Some of the best cloaking fun I've had has been sneaking into a heavily fortified room full of people that wanted to murder me, and blowing them all up when they least expected it with high explosives.
  15. ColdCheezePizza

Yup, I actually edited my post to add that its easier to pull off with ZOE because of their quick speed, but could be pulled off just as easily with a sprint max if they dont hear you coming first.

Dedicated scouts with perma cloak would be nice, but would need to be limited to pistol only for obvious balance reasons. Wish I was around for the PS1 days, sounds like i missed out on a lot of good times.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kid Gloves

Here's my pro guide to nerfing heavies:

1. go study games design
    2. get job a SOE
    3. get allocated to the PS2 character balance team
    4. adjust numbers so heavies are less powerful than they are now

That's how the pro's nerf heavies.
    • Up x 1
  17. P0INTMAN

or, instead of nerfing, developing tactics and using your brain to deal with situations you aren't used to and can't find success in. thats what actual professionals do.

Example: I'm not a dogfighter in PS2. I don't fly libs, but im learning and developing my own methods for it. I'm actually dedicated infantry, but I consider myself to be good at this game. So instead of whining that scythes and mossies are all OP, I'm learning to fight against them in an environment I'm specifically not used to. I'm also more productive doing this than whining about how to nerf whatever. So many players need to learn how to play and expand their horizons.
  18. HerpTheDerp

This isn't about nerfing, it's about making all classes equally useful. Right now when you want to win you play HA because it''s the only viable choice, period. That's nonsensical and has to go, but never will, becuase SOE.
  19. Kid Gloves

The only professionals in PS2 at the moment are the SOE developers and maybe a few journalists. PS2 hasn't hit MLG status yet, so to my knowledge no-one is being paid to play based on skill.

Sensible, experienced players do what you say. The professionals (i.e. SOE) edit the game data if they want to nerf heavies. :)
  20. P0INTMAN

No. Each class has its use and role in most/all situations. They can all thrive alongside one another. Light assault for being highly mobile and jumping around people to confuse them. Cloakers for sniping and pistol whipping people and trapping doors. Engineers and medics for supporting others with heals, ammo, suppressive fire (engie turret, etc) and revives (medic...). My suggestion is to learn how to play them all and be good at it, and learn when to switch to each and use it. Squad composition is pretty important, and sometimes you don't need HA, you need a medic or an engineer or a MAX.

Versatility is not everything. Symbiosis is a lot more important than what each individual class can do.
    • Up x 1