[BUG] Cannot hack turrets

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Stinneyt, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Stinneyt

Hi guys, the last 2 days I've had hardly any success hacking turrets. Terminals seem OK but any type of turret, I'm not given the option to hack. Anyone else getting this?
    • Up x 2
  2. nallar

Been seeing this too. Only had the hack prompt pop up for a turret which had previously been occupied. (Not 100% sure that's what caused it to show up.)
  3. LibertyRevolution

Just hold the button down, it will hack.
    Seems sometimes it is not showing the hacking progress thing, but I was still able to hack the turrets.
  4. Stinneyt

Its not that. I'm cool with that. Sometimes the option doesn't appear straight away but the hack is in progress.
    This is not that. I'm literally unable to hack turrets.
  5. Lazaruz

Could it be that the turrets now need a secure lattice connection to hack? At least that's been my experience for the past couple of days. I could be wrong though, but that was my initial guess. Would have to do some further testing to be sure...
  6. Stinneyt

That was my first suspicion. I'll have to test.
  7. Vaphell

no that's not it, at least i don't think so. This bug got me killed in the crater which was contested by us. Lolmossie flies back and forth farming people, i run towards the turret, E and looking around, wtf? nothing, again - nothing.... and then i got bombed. BTW it was a second turret i hacked, first got destroyed by a libfarmator like 15s earlier.
    • Up x 1
  8. cyb_

Happened to me on Amerish today. So it should not be due to lattice.
  9. Wolvy

I have also noticed this issue with generators. The generator had been hacked but they were able to get to it. Several of us went back to the generator but i couldn't get the hack icon to pop up. After what seemed like 2 or 3 minutes I went up and then it showed up. Unless that is due to the lattice. It's been a while so I am not familiar with the lattice.
  10. A 59 c

It seems to be a problem with the hack countdown graphic not showing. I'm finding I can still hack turrets but don't see the graphic.
  11. Rohxer

Thanks, I'll have to test this as I've also been having problems since last week's hotfix. Sometimes I got the hack progress shown as usual, yet other times I could not get it to appear until literally almost a minute of crouching around and repeatedly trying to find a "sweet spot". I'll see if I can confirm that those turrets are actually hacking next time despite no progress bar by keeping the hack key pressed.
  12. A 59 c

Rohxer, you don't have to hold down the E key to hack. If you tap E smartly the hack will start, leaving you spare fingers to do other stuff (move around slightly to avoid getting HS / shoot enemies/ darts etc...) If you do a normal key press of E it will not work, the key press must be done smartly (I stab the keyboard). HTH
  13. MrMurdok

Confirmed, the progress bar not showing up, but the hack gets done
    • Up x 1
  14. LownWolfe

I noticed this issue as well. You can get the hack progress to display by moving around but usually this will get you killed. Glad to know even if progress does not show, the hack is still working.
  15. Rohxer

Thanks for the advice, though I know how to hack normally - I was focusing on steps I was taking to avoid the bug. I know you're trying to help, but I think you're giving some wrong info.

Not sure what you mean by "smartly".. press hard and deliberately? That doesn't matter. The keyboard is not pressure sensitive. It's binary on or off. Also, you must hold it down to hack. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. I realize you can (and usually should) do other things while hacking, shooting, moving, etc. - but you definitely must "hold down the E key to hack" with at least one spare finger.

In regards to the bug, I've also confirmed what some others have said - the hack does proceed despite the absence of the visual indicator. Annoying, but just a cosmetic bug. Though probably extremely confusing to new players.
  16. A 59 c

:eek: Wrong info..? No dude.
    Just so there's no misunderstanding, let us forget about the current UI bug to simplify this holding E key discussion.
    I can assure you 100% that turrets/consoles can be hacked without holding down the E key.
    I'll try to elaborate on the technique I use ( the "smartly" thing I was banging on about).

When you hit any key, there's obviously:
    a) a key down stage followed by
    b) a period of time when the key is actually down followed by
    c) key up stage

Stage b) is important and needs to be very brief for this to work.
    So I hit my E key fast and whip my pinkie up and out of the way so that I do not impede on the natural spring back of the key hence stage b) is very brief (fractions of a second). Doing this technique starts the hack without holding down E.

I do this all the time and must have hacked 100s if not 1000s of consoles and turrets using this technique. Check my stats - you'll see I have played INI a fair amount of time on my NC and TR characters.

Needless to say, not having to hold down E has it's advantages (I have killed many enemies while hacking) so please try this and let me know if you can get it to work.

If you can't then who knows, perhaps this only works on certain keyboards..? I use a gaming grade keyboard (see details in my sig ) but it also works on my back up rig (Alienware M17x R4 laptop).
  17. Rohxer

Ok - first - I think you're smoking something, but I'll try it! :D

Secondly - your pinky hits the E key? What kind of weird hand position is that?

If it really works, it's the first I've heard of it and it's probably a glitch, but I will admit it's a pretty cool find! Though the standard way still only uses one finger, leaving you 9 others to complete other actions. I'll check it out.
  18. Stinneyt

As for the bug, yes if you keep holding it does indeed hack the turret. However when you cannot see the progress, you have no idea if you were at the right distance to start the hack and have to have faith that you started to hack.

And without the graphic it seems to take FOREVER!

Thanks for the input guys!
  19. Scan

Try the side of the turret.

Oddly enough, the hacking icon will appear.
  20. Rohxer

I can't find any consistency whether it's the front, back, or side. Sometimes I get the icon on the side, sometimes not.

I still can't duplicate A59c's method though. Tried, but no way can I get a hack to happen without holding down the keypress. Maybe, A59c, your E key is just worn out so that it sometimes gets stuck when you do your quick key hit? Have you ever made it work on a different keyboard?