So.... the Orion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BigIronRanger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Pax Empyrean

He plays TR and NC and does well. If he picks up an Orion and does well, what does that prove?

I think he's lying about his performance with the Orion because he's refusing to post evidence when he could have easily done so.
  2. Bankrotas

I whish I had Orion like dps with lower rpm weapon. Would be more fun than using that water gun.
  3. EnviousCipher

As someone who also ran TR and NC for a while, then picked up a VS alt because why the **** not, and utterly dominated once i got the Orion specced, i don't think its an exaggeration.

The ease of which VS weapons can be used makes anyone who has honed their skills on TR and NC even more deadly as a simple matter of fact.
  4. Isokon

If it was a simple matter of fact, shouldn't your stats reflect that?
    Is it not more likely that you did better because you were already familiar with the game from your main?

The one conclusion I got from my own sessions on the other factions was that the idea that TR and NC weapons provided any additional difficulty beyond basic fps mechanics must be the result of wishful thinking.
  5. EnviousCipher

They do, my infantry stats are higher on my VS alt, though my SPM is higher on my TR since i regularly ***** out the Prowler and Max in a full squad, something that simply doesn't happen on VS for me. On a per kill basis i'm better on VS.

Note though that i started on Soltech/Mattherson, so by the time i actually got to Briggs i knew mostly what i was doing. Also remember i've said i'm not THAT good, but better than average.

I can't agree at all. VS weapons are much easier to use in my experience. My NC character is significantly statistically worse off than my VS, despite the more varied amount of combat and time put into the character.
  6. Chipay

Noticed the same, My VS main has a K/D of 1.8, My TR alt a K/D of 2.4 and my NC alt only a 1.2 K/D :(
  7. sodom

I don't get your problem .. the small magazine of the Orion got me killed hundred of times. Sure it has nice aim but it is not trillion times better then most of the other guns. If you got owned by guys using a Orion you also will get owned by them if they use any other gun. I regularly lose stand off against other people so the damage can't be that better then other guns also.
    After i switched to a gun with 100 rounds my number of "been killed because need to reload" encounters dropped nearly to zero and i still kill at more or less the same speed and on top of that i can engage a room of two without being afraid to run out of ammo. Sure i'am not as good on long range any more but as i lost most of these encounters against the godly aims of many players anyways i simply try to minimize this events.

Also i read .. "speced Orion" quite a few times ... ahh how do you improve a Orion with anything else then the reticle ? Forearm-Grip is useless on a Orion, No alternate Ammunition, no improved magazine .. i guess i miss something here.
  8. Testament

You obviously haven't used the Gauss Saw long enough to realize how ridiculous this is. The Gauss Saw has a reload speed of 6.5/7.5 seconds. When fighting in medium-close range 7 seconds is also known as eternity/forever. Having 50 bullets in the mag would put the Saw to trash tier compartment not only because it would render the user useless after each 50 bullets he shoots but also because there would be almost no room to miss opponents and with its not so easily manageable recoil that makes no sense, hence the 100 mag.
  9. EnviousCipher

For me its;

TR: 2.76
    VS: 3.11
    NC 2.19

That said, just went on a good romp with the TMG-50. I take back what i said in that other thread.
  10. pnkdth

VS(BR76): 2,17.
    NC(BR25): 2.52.
    TR(BR17): 2.54.

Worth noting I am very rarely driving a tank or flying(I have more kills with my knife than all air units put together...), also very rarely use a MAX(y u no ZOE?!?!?) so I have a strictly infantry perspective. From this point of view I think both TR and NC have got a better range of weapons available to them. VS do have a better starter kit in so far it is more beginner friendly but if the player sticks around for awhile then this advantage will quickly turn into a disadvantage(with the exception of HA).

I also notice a trend with my alts that the more time I've spent on them recently the better their stats are, of which I attribute to being a better player these days. I'm not doing the same newbie mistakes, I'm not wasting certs of stuff I won't use, as well as having more certs before I started playing(passive certs over time).
  11. Isokon

I was looking more at your LMG stats, since that is what we were discussing:

Orion: 22.48% acc 18.88% hs acc.
    MSW-R: 23.43% acc 18.04% hs acc.
    EM6: 25.71% acc 17.23% hs acc

I don't know about you, but I would not call that a distinctive difference in performance.

Both my TR and NC characters are pretty close to my VS, except for SPM (I played them before all the changes to scoring, like alerts, ribbons, more points for vehicle kills and such).
    By the way, I went and actually gave the MSW-R a spin for the first time on my TR. Only got to 33 kills before I had to log out, but wow...you can have my Orion any day. :D
  12. VoidMagic

#1 The Orion is awesome
    #2 NC needs help
    #3 Orion doesn't need nerf
    • Up x 2
  13. IamDH

Orion cries make me laugh
  14. MorganM

Yeah the Orion is a great gun.

So is the TRAC-5 and T1 Cycler. Now that the T9 CARV has been buffed (a couple updates ago) it's no longer trash but I'd take an Orion over it.

It's hard to get down on the VS because they have 1 or 2 above average weapons. TR have many and several that are just stupid OP.

So go play VS and enojy it because nobody gives a damn that one gun on one faction is a little better than it's counterparts.
    • Up x 1
  15. EnviousCipher

A combination of ranged shots and CQB spray will do that to an accuracy statistic.

Thanks! No backsies.
  16. llPendragon

I covered the reload problem in the post you quoted. The AC-X11 and Reaper both have faster than average reload times, but smaller clips. The SAW should be the same way if it were to follow this pattern. Even compared to other LMGs, the SAW's damage per clip is ridiculous.
  17. Van Dax

you said increase reload time, you meant increase reload speed.
  18. llPendragon

Yes. Yes I did. :oops:
    Thanks for the help!
  19. Testament

I don't know why are you comparing an LMG to a carbine. The SAW is obviously fit for medium - long rage and as such a higher clip size is required for it to fulfill the role of a continuous suppression fire type of weapon. It's damage per magazine is indeed high but it does not by any stretch make the weapon OP. First of all, full auto with the SAW is a no-no because of the very high bloom per shot and H/A recoil so it's DPS is naturally decreased because of the need to reset the cone of fire very very often - this is not the case with carbines . Second, you again seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room which is the reload time of the SAW. 7 second reload not only greatly reduces the damage over time but as you can imagine forces you to find hard cover or remove yourself from the fight. Lastly, while the mag size does increase the overall damage over time (DPS), the burst DPS on LMGs such as the Orion is significantly higher which in turn allows them to excel in close - medium ranges.
  20. EMP1RE

The Orion is an exceptional LMG. The first time I used it properly on my VS alt I was LOLing my rear cheeks off... I was dropping folks left, right and center whilst jumping around like a bloody LA. I am not so sure it requires a 'nerf' per say, I would say something needs to change though.
    • Up x 1