The real camo in this game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Spookydodger, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Spookydodger

That you know. Perhaps the devs know, too. Sort of presumptive to assume everyone knows. I still see people shooting at generators trying to destroy them when "everyone knows" you walk up and hold down your use button. As for the length... it was as long as it needed to be, not sure why that would be an issue.

This post was mostly a response to this silly post.
  2. Spookydodger

I've even had a Sunderer with Indar camo been completely overlooked by multiple aircraft while on Indar, while I was parked in a small ravine.

They literally flew 50 feet above it and completely missed its brown top in the brown gully. A few enemy tanks missed it too.

It definitely can confer an advantage under certain circumstances. I often feel my Esamir camo helps my Magrider hide out in many circumstances in Esamir.

I've also used my Esamir camo to blend in with the sky while in my Scythe. White against blue is harder to see. Though of course I don't know if the times I've not been seen by passing aircraft was the camo or just lack of attention.
  3. wolfva

Camo in PS2 is about as stupid as THIS camo is for the USN.

[IMG]

Just what every sailor who falls overboard wants to be wearing...a suit that perfectly blends into the waves...
  4. Halo572

The point of the 'announcement' was it is a 'look there is a squirrel' tactic.

Why address the way the game runs, that there is no gameplay or that they have implemented a game mode where one faction will win by default?

When you can just point over there and say 'look, there is a squirrel'.

By the time you look back they have run off to plan another 'look, there is a squirrel' post to divert attention from their completely borken game.

And most of you fall for it every time and for 10 months.

Doesn't take much does it? Look, there is a squirrel.
  5. Kid Gloves

It is not just Magriders that benefit from a combination of camo and vehicle stealth.

That said, I still think it's 90% vehicle stealth and 10% camo. If you're not on the minimap, you don't exist!

You wouldn't believe the places you can hide a max-stealth Galaxy. Or you probably would.
  6. Kid Gloves

I'm going to go with mostly lack of attention.

I have found the best camo for any serious-action vehicle is no camo at all. People assume that if your vehicle has no cosmetics its a stock vehicle.

Try this sometime: take a max-stealth Magrider, run with a tricked out Basilisk (it's a good gun!) and go tank hunting. You will get ignored/underestimated by -everyone-, who will instantly assume that a no-cosmetic magrider with a basilisk on top is clearly a newb and thus not worth their attention.
    • Up x 1
  7. IOwnblueacre

Eh... camo also does not work in part because this game has completely static background. Our eyes catch movements on peripherals very well, so when the only things moving are people or vehicles, camos won't do much.

At this point moving background is out of the question consider how poorly optimized the game is...:(
  8. MrMurdok

And then you press Q, using the magical "Him, bad guy, shoot him!" Dorito.
  9. Cromell

My circuit board camo usually makes me the priority target. In a group of 5 prowlers, WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK GETS HIT FIRST
  10. OldMaster80

Yes but the point is if one spots me then everyone else will see me, so why should I care about the color of my textures?
  11. gregfox89

I agree, but the power of camo is really in hiding in people's peripheral vision. It does work well for that. Of course it's not going to work very well if they're looking straight at you (and especially if you're moving)
  12. toxs

High fashion.
  13. Spookydodger

I don't think that the mental bandwidth of most people maxes out at one thought at a time. And judging by the copious amount of new threads on the matter, the "Squirrel" as you put it isn't going to distract from the 600 pound Gorilla hunkering down on this game. So I feel safe in saying "That's a peculiar Sciurus Vulgaris you have there" without having to worry about the population of the forums from becoming rigidly locked into thinking about camouflage at every waking moment.

Diversify your rage inducing features of the game, that's what I say!
  14. Spookydodger

• The marker doesn't get bigger or smaller depending on distance, making hitting not guaranteed.
    • Someone has to see you in the first place to mark you, or you have to be firing without some form of stealth (silence, suppressor, vehicle stealth, etc)
    • You have to be within 200 meters (I believe) to get the spotting of another unit, making it not guaranteed that you will actually be spotted by people able to effectively shoot you.
    To me it is kinda like those marginal improvement runes you get in League of Legends. Sure, you could forgo buying them and only lose like a 1.5% better stat, but why would you pass up an advantage if it is available? Especially if I already got the camo.
  15. Spookydodger

Then I am making a helmet that looks like a Top Hat + Monocle for the Player Studio.
    • Up x 1
  16. TheAntiFish

The camo is actually really useful as an infiltrator. I get confused for friendly all the time with my giraffe camo... And a suppressed weapon :D
  17. Nocturnal7x

Maybe only against nubs and nubs can't tell friend from foe half the time anyway. SOEs post about camo is a pathetic attempt to sell more camo.