Operation: Make Faster Game! - Episode 1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Torok, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Torok

One each week hopefully, very interesting and refreshing so far
    • Up x 9
  2. Withnail

Seriously how good is that!

A lot of people constantly moaning on here that there is no commitment to the game from SOE, well they're going to show you the optimisation works in video form *******!

Can't argue with that , nice one guys :)
    • Up x 1
  3. Trillsiker

Cool initiative from dev team ;)

Thanks for that !
    • Up x 2
  4. IamDH

Pretty clear to me that they are putting a lot of energy into this.

Good job SOE
  5. libbmaster

Finally! Once the game runs smoothly, we can go back to balance tweaking!

And hey, maybe if you can get more than 30 FPS out of an average computer, the population will grow and we won't have the hilarious imbalance we have now!
    • Up x 1
  6. chrisbeebops

When do we get operation no more splash through shields?
    • Up x 4
  7. L1ttlebear

When people stop being spawn shield warriors and acctuallypush :)h
    • Up x 1
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

i have strong headaches when i go to sleep and wake up
  9. sagolsun

All the gory details that a nerd like myself loves. I can't get enough. I've been doing plenty work with scaleform in unity recently, if SOE would expose the API I'd love to see just how much of an improvement a totally minimalistic UI could make. From that point it's all about extending functionality like giving more platoon lead tools, especially if it'll be okay to forward stuff like squad membership data via NetConnection to, say, a teamspeak plugin (auto-squad-sync without having to read client memory and risk getting banned? awesomeness!)

Pure flash wise, I was working on getting a stage3d app trying to get it running on the lowest spec mobile device I could. It's surprising how low-spec you can go if you know the strengths and weaknesses of the platform and do some trickery like offloading heavy math lifting to ANE extensions or using hacks like object recycling to compensate for the ponderous speed of AS3.

Edit: Also just using ASC2 helps. ASC1 was deaf, blind and dumb.

BTW, doritos are scaleform or d3d?
  10. EvilPhd

Dump PhysX and incorporate it into the main thread. PhysX is a bloated shell game.
    " SSE has scalar and vector variants for instructions. Scalar basically means one piece of data per instruction, and that is where you get the ~20% speedup over x87. Vector allows you to do the math on 1 128 bit instruction, 2 64 bit instructions, or 4 32 bit instructions simultaneously. Since PhysX uses 32 bit numbers, you can do 4 of them in one SSE instruction, so four per clock. Plus 20%"

You guys got suckered into it.
    The PS4 isn't going to have it, start making do without it and use SSE. SSE is both Intel and AMD friendly.

MULTI CORE is a must. Lots and lots if cycles just....waiting around to be used.

I wonder why they went with XML Java is in the UI? That just seems very slow and ineffecent.

This whole thing is interesting. Hopefully they can humble themselves into not following the industry hype machine and get down to brass tax on optimizations.
  11. Cuze

Thanks for posting this, both OP and the Devs. I don't think I would have noticed it if not for the OP.
  12. sagolsun

I'm pretty sure the way they've got their compiler set up, the binary is already using the SSE set. As for physx, I think they're distributing precompiled binaries and if Nvidia is as defensive about their binaries as SOE, trying to rebuild the thing (apart from being extremely complex) would probably result in a lawsuit or dozen. Still a fun side project, I guess...

Edit: Checked it, PS2 does indeed use SSE. Can't be bothered to check which version.

Uh java? AFAIK they use Scaleform and Lua.
  13. Torok

Tray knows all that sort of things, he answers a lot about that stuff, even though he's the Artistic director, tweet him!
  14. GSZenith

remember back at launch when everyone was crying over tank mines? (once skillful lolpodders and lib farmers became less skillful)
    and they finally said they where going to change tank mines to not be destroyable with gunfire.
    still waiting
    :rolleyes:
  15. sagolsun

Tank mines are for the most part shaped charges and pretty complicated devices. If you'd stuff 10kg of high explosive in a sealed pipe and then blow it up under an APC, you could, in perfect circumstances, blow an axle. And mind you, 10kg is a rather generous amount for an AT mine.

In other words, simply shooting a mine, setting it on fire or detonating it using another explosive will NOT make it an effective AT weapon. It will, like shooting or setting any complex device on fire, destroy it and make it malfunction.

Should mines be vulnerable to gunfire? Yeah, but the result should be an ineffective and comparatively impotent HE blast. If there's one complaint I have about Higby and his team of designers is that they have an alarming lack of military knowledge and no interest in real-life weapon technology. It's fine for designing a fantasy MMORPG (in which case I'd be looking for designers among medieval reenactors, srsly) but for a game like PS2 it's a problem, and it shows.