Does anyone think that HE rounds/Rocketpods were nerfed too much?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ned, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Deschain

Well one way they could improve the infantry game is only allow MBT's Lightnings to be drawn from tech plants, only allow sunderers and below to be drawn from sub base's, remove the ability to draw aircraft from watch towers too.
  2. Mongychops

For HE, it is now very situational, at longer ranges, due to the; low velocity, high drop, and long reload, it is now actually the worst anti-infantry option against infantry that don't stand stand still or sit in front of something you can shoot to splash them (like a wall or tree).

That said, I have recently had some success with my Magrider in close range combat. Load-out: Proximity Radar, Rival Chassis, Nanite Repair, VPC (thermal), and PPA (thermal). The PPA's accurate, no-drop, high magazine size, spam lets you suppress enemies that you can't hit/splash with the VPC, and when you flank a big group and hit them with the VPC, the PPA can then clean up the injured players before they know what's hit them. However, there are relatively few situations this load-out is effective in, but me and my gunner have had >100 kills in under 15 minutes repelling infantry base assaults using this setup.
  3. Lafri

Oh wow those 100 guys sitting in the spwanroom and dieing over and over must be terrible players. Where can I find those free certs I bring a fresh Fury Harasser and friends. :)

In all honesty I don't remember getting killed by a HE gun in the last 4 weeks. Same goes for daltons(I guess there was one death damn it), zephers and lolpods. I play Infantry, Tank, Harassers and Air on all 3 factions alike.

Might that I don't run around in a surrounded spawn room and respawn there over and over again but we will never know.

Anyway thanks for the laugh.
  4. gigastar

HE reload speed could stand to be restored now, given the splash nerf.

And i swear i would launch a crusade if rocketpods ever got buffed against vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  5. Fenrys

I've done OK with an HE+Radar+Thermal Lightning recently, and it feels like rocket pods kill infantry close to 100% of the times I decide to fire them at infantry.

Tanks packing HE rounds are support vehicles, not flankers or daggers. They need to stay near/behind friendly infantry or vehicle convoys, and its not always viable to pull them depending on the fight.
  6. Takara

Right? I mean...I do feel bad for those guys...not understanding that by staying in there they really aren't helping matters at all. If they just respawned at a the next base they would prolly actually be able to bring some armor and kick the entrenched enemy out...but no they feel content to sit there and die. *eyeroll* But I do feel a bit of mercy for them when they die.

That said..HE I generally mean any explosive cannon type weapon. But the High Explosive in generally I think doesn't need any more of a hand. Things are pretty balanced as it is I don't understand why people want to change an equation that was already balanced.
  7. LowTechKiller

Hahahahahaha...no.
    • Up x 1
  8. Testament

No thanks.
    • Up x 1
  9. IamDH

HE yeah.
    Rocketpods not so much
    • Up x 1
  10. Van Dax

HE, undo reload nerf.
    lolpods, no.
    • Up x 2
  11. Fredfred

I would like to see three different rocket pods. One for larger splash damage, one more for dog fighting, and another for anti-vehicle.
  12. Cuze

I think vanguard HE weapons could use a buff. The 5 second reload is ridiculous, especially when coupled with the inability to kill with any splash.

The VS were doing an infantry zerg on a tech plant so I trialed an HE vanguard since AI was what the situation called for, and boy was that thing a POS. I did not get a single kill from splash damage despite shells landing at the enemies feet, and direct hits were quite a bit harder to land relative to HEAT due to the slower velocity (no zoom didn't help either since it was a trial). The 5 second reload time give more than enough time for any infantry caught near the blast to get away into cover as well.

I know HE is frustrating to die to, but, it does not make sense that almost all NC AI vehicle weapons are worse at AI than the Balance/AV counterparts.
  13. GamerOS

If you want to fight infantry with tanks as a NC, better get a Lightning with the default gun, can get about 3 kills every clip as just like the HE and HEAT guns of the VG and the Lighting it requires 2 hits to kill, but you get a 6 round magazine.

'The only ES tank capable of killing infantry reliably is the Prowler, and that's after the nerf! (it used to do 1000 Splash damage, same as the other tanks, per shot, it's only drawback was a slightly smaller radius.)
  14. Tekuila

50% is more than enough.
  15. Lafri

I agree with you on almost any point and yes I feel bad for those guys, well a bit at least :)

The problem with HE weapons is: They are in the game and have a role and competition factor like Battle Rifles. (None expect to get Auraxium Medal with it as you maxed any other weapon)
    There is nothing HE rounds can do that a HEAT/AP on a tank or Fury/Marauder/Bulldog/PPA on a more mobile platform can't do way better.
    There is no difference if 10 HE, 10 HEAT or even 10 AP tanks camp your spawn, if you run out you eat some tank shells or something from a secondary gun and die in 9/10 occasions.

HE shells as they are are ineffective vs armor, vs transport, vs maxes and even just borderline effective vs infantry as I got my second HEAT round off and loading the third while HE is still reloading the 2. shot.
    • Up x 1
  16. Littleman

I don't care to see rocket pods become AI farming machines again. Put on the AI designed nose gun if as a pilot you want to farm infantry. What decision is there to make when one weapon can rule them all, aka, old days rocket pods? Some sacrifices should be made here. Rocket pods should be great against armor however.

HE turrets... eh, I guess I could go with a reload buff. I would prefer tanks got more health and thicker front armor however, and AP to be totally dominant as a tank vs. tank option. Right now, the difference between HEAT and AP feels minimal to the point AP feels like the worse option in most situations.
    • Up x 1
  17. ChipMHazard

While I do agree that there's not much of a reason to pick HE over HEAT I also don't think that HE belongs on the MBT. Then again I'm firmly against everything being so versatile. I am completely fine with the Lightning having HE.
    Me also not wanting ESFs to even have rocketpods shouldn't come as a surprise, at least not how SOE has designed them up to this point. So, no I don't think they were nerfed too hard.
  18. HadesR

Let them fix splash dmg exploits first :)
    • Up x 3
  19. Remonew

I agree that HE/any form of splash damage seems near pitifully weak, especially when flak armor is factored in. It seems naff that cannons and missiles need to land right next to you to kill.

IMO the issue beforehand was that infantry had no real "playground"; every area was pretty much saturated with lolpods and HE since there was no way to block access ala biolabs or old school tech plants.

If splash is to return to the old levels, infantry will need to have bases/areas where they can be relevant (not be explosive spammed to death).
  20. Tekuila

Amazing how many clueless infantry players are on these forums.