So.... the Orion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BigIronRanger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Posse

Quite the opposite, when you reach a certain point in the skill ceiling, where you land all (or almost all) your shots, DPS is important because almost all engagements are at close mid range.

Same DPS, at close-mid range it would be a tie, I don't know what's the CoF of the CARV with laser sight so I can't say anything about pure CQC.

Those 2 HA players have to be much worse than you in order to do that, even if they're using a 143/652 weapon, at equal skill they should kill you before you kill even one of them. In fact, at equal skill you'd never win a 1v2, no matter what classes you're facing.

Bullet drop is almost irrelevant at the ranges fights are fought in this game, the weapons where VS could have a clear advantage with that trait actually have bullet drop (Magrider's main cannon and BASRs), and besides, it's completely irrelevant at the ranges where the Orion is effective
  2. Aegie

Fair enough- good thing the other stats play out well.
  3. Sossen

So how would the Polaris be better then? For killing scrubs?

I'd say that there is almost always time for a 3 second reload between engagements. Hardly ever do I find myself in a position where I have to pull out my sidearm while reloading. And I never find myself in an engagement where I wish that I'd had 100 bullets - if you can provide an example where 100 rounds in necessary I'd understand your position better.
  4. Botji

So, you guys mind sharing your stats for both NC and VS to show the world how much better the VS is?

Here are mine
    VS: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010917264381201/weapons
    NC: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428026242702475105/weapons

Orion: 859 kills 27% accuracy 208 headshots = 24.2% headshots
    SAW: 859 kills 31% accuracy 250 headshots = 29.1% headshots

I guess its just the recoil of the SAW, it pulls up from the chest with little loss of DPS jadajadajada.

I couldnt find any HerpTheDerp characters that arent outdated wich means they havent been online for at least 60 days and most of them are very low BR so cant really be a main character. Found a NC Niamar character thats a whooping BR 3 that has never even used the SAW so I really want to know what your characters are because these cant be it.

Also found llPendragon wich actually looks like a character someone uses.
    SAW: 644 kills 20% accuracy 110 headshots = 17%

Funny thing though, the SAW is the weapon with the highest headshot % out of all his weapons, Blitz GD-10 wich is a SMG, close range headshot machines that they are, has a 11.5% headshot ratio and 21% accuracy. So not only does the SAW have a lot of headshots its also very close to the highest accuracy % of any of his most used guns. In the top 5 the highest accuracy is 23% so when the SAW is sitting on 20% it doesnt seem to have that much of a accuracy problem.

Its going to be exciting to see the characters you guys use to base these opinions on because so far there are almost no stats to go from and what we have is kinda praising the SAW as quite the good weapon. Im kinda getting tired of all the talk when you can just do a little show and tell so we have at least some stats to back up the claims we are doing.
  5. Posse

What position? I love the Orion (look at my sig, lol), in fact I think the Polaris is crap (the VS are definitely screwed in the 100 mag size tier LMGs, good thing we have the Orion and the SVA to compensate heh), I was just pointing out that you're not supposed to beat people in a 1v2 if they're players of equal skill as you are, even with the Orion. Yes, it's probably the best CQC LMG in the game, yes, you have more chances to win a 1v2 against worse players than with any other LMG, you also have more chances to win a 1v1 at equal skill than with any other LMG, but it's not an automatic "I win" weapon either.
  6. Sossen

Well I'd never say it's an I win button, just didn't get your point. I'm just saying that there's enough ammo to kill two HA with overshields on, not saying that you could do this against two equally skilled opponents.
  7. Posse

Well, yeah, in fact 50 bullets are enough to kill 3 HAs for that matter, the 50 mag size is still the main drawback of the Orion though, it limits how agressive you can be in a fight.
  8. Botji

This is a special edition for HerpTheDerp

Clearly suffering when shooting down the range.
  9. Niamar

If I list my character names everyone will know how much I stink, but I don't care.
    My characters names are:
    Lane
    Agnat
    Burritogrande
  10. llPendragon

My actual stats:
    NC - https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428021759088217361/weapons
    VS - https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428077646471736721/weapons
    TR - https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428059164961649697/weapons
    TR(2) - https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428061686735024273/weapons

1. Your headshot #s are wrong. You need to take the # of headshots and divide by the number of shots fired, not people killed.
    2. I have a better headshot % with the Decimator as NC than VS, and it's better than both the SAW and Orion.
    3. Basing your argument off of one person's stats is a bad idea.

Edit:
    And the SAW does not have the highest accuracy of my top guns. Of my top 20, it's tied for last place. The only things less accurate are my tank mines and C4. In fact, there are only 5 guns I've shot worse than the SAW. :rolleyes:
  11. CptFirelord

Beamer would be the easiest, pounders hardest ;P
  12. Posse

Actually no, the headshots statistic shows how many headshot kills you have, not how many shots you landed on the head.
  13. llPendragon

Then it has nothing to do with my comments to begin with.
  14. pnkdth

So... You're talking about effective DPS. I've yet to see anyone with perfect or near perfect accuracy, especially with high RPM weapons. Not that I think we'll ever agree since the weapon you've professed to hate is my favourite LMG for VS, namely, the Polaris. So looking forwards to getting rid of my SVA and Flare(for aurax medal) so I can go back to my baby. Granted, I know my playestyle differs quite a bit from most players. I rely more on my experience of maps, Slicing the pie, angles, bait and switch, and to what others probably would consider cowardly and cheap tactics but meh, fighting dirty is fun. 35% of my time as infantry is... well, infiltrator, and it is probably not a bit suprise I prefer the Artemis(full auto SR) over SMGs as well.

652RPM hits the sweet spot for me.
  15. Nocturn0l

It just struck me like a lightning when i realized that every TR class except infiltrator and MAX is starting with an Orion-like weapon, the supposedly best LMG in the game! Especially the carbines and ARs are unmatched by NC/VS counterparts in case of dps and total damage!
  16. HooWoo

Agreed, if anyone can get 2.2k or whatever tank kills I applaud them.
    • Up x 1
  17. Botji

The headshot stats are bad yes but we dont have anything else to go from. So nerf the Decimator then? its clearly better than the Orion at killing infantry, if you want to put any weight to that argument.
    You are the one basing your arguments from your own perspective being killed by the weapon because with 53 kills on your Orion I cant really say you have much experience with it at all. Besides, you still have worse accuracy with the Orion than the SAW.

I never said your SAW has the highest accuracy of your top guns. SAW has 20% accuracy while the highest accuracy in the top 5(kills) is 23%, in my book that counts as very close to the highest accuracy % of your most used weapons especially since the SAW is #4 in the top 5(kills). 3% less hits than your highest accuracy weapon in that same top 5 isnt such a big deal.

You want to make it sound like the SAW with 20% accuracy is so low on your list when pretty much every weapon with higher % is either explosives, shotguns, sniper rifles or weapons you have hardly used. Your top 5 killing weapons are all in the 20-23% accuracy range. The #1 weapon is the EM6 and that also has 20% accuracy, is that a crappy weapon like the SAW?

Its just... you think its bad to base my argument on one persons stats but what are you basing your arguments on?
    Its not your stats, because they show you have hardly used the Orion and those stats are worse than the SAW or pretty much any weapon you have while the stats for your SAW show that its actually one of your better weapons, at least on par with your #1 killer the EM6.
  18. Posse

At relatively close ranges it's not hard to hit most of the shots, btw, it's funny because you have more accuracy with the SVA than with the Polaris.
  19. llPendragon

None of this has to do with my comment:

As I said to Posse above, unless you are talking about "number of shots that get a head shot damage bonus" then we're not talking about the same things.
  20. pnkdth

The Polaris was pretty much the LMG I started with, and have experimented the most with, so it isn't really all that suprising. Like most, I hated at first but it grew on me. Then there were the drills(we went milsim for awhile and this was pre VR so a lot of shooting in the air), suppression fire, etc etc etc. So yeah, accuracy, as far the player pages go, are useless. Better to check kill/hour, which are almost identical.