In response to those who tells Eng's and Medics how to do their job

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mr_Giggles, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mr_Giggles

Maxes
    • It's understandable that you guys have nothing but love for us when we're fixing you. And I know I am ruggedly handsome. But I must insist that you stare at the doorway where the bad guys are coming in, and not at me.
    • 2nd max in line, I know that you need to be fixed. So does the 3rd and 4th max. But as you can plainly see I am but one man and I have the one tool. My point here is that you do not need to shoot me to inform me that you are in need of repair. Shooting me tends to startle me, and my repair tool may suddenly become a commissioner. And you are almost dead as it is. I think you know where this is going.
    • Don't run through me. Don't run circles around me. Come in, find a cozy spot, and wait.
    • If you run away before I am finished, I am going to assume that you are good. I am not going to follow you. I have **** to do. If you want a pocket engineer, join a platoon and make some friends.

Vehicles
    • The same rule as applied above. If you move away from me when I am fixing you, I am going to assume you are good and move on with other duties. The only exception to this rule is if you are taking fire, in which case I fully understand your plight and chances are I am running myself.
    General
    • Before you come and ask me for ammo, do us both a solid and check near my feet. Especially if I'm sitting there spamming grenades, because those grenades aren't coming from my ***. If I plan on being anywhere for more than 30 seconds I drop a pack. Even when I'm in a tank I still tend to stop long enough to drop a pack on a group before moving on. It's the best pack one can get so chances are you were being refilled before you even got to me.
    • If you continue to shout at me that you need ammo, you may see me suddenly shoot at the ground. If you look down at what I was shooting at you will see an ammo pack sitting there. If you continue beyond that point asking for ammo I will only respond with a Red Foreman '*******!' comment in local voip.
    • You can however avoid all this simply by checking the mini map. Ammo packs have a little icon that show up on the map letting you know where you may go to get a pack. Hopefully this will prevent that awkward situation in the next Biodome fight where you yell for ammo and there's no fewer than 4 packs already at your feet.
    • If you see me connected to my turret, it is probably not the best idea to go stand directly in front of it. If I see a bad guy, I will shoot at him regardless if you are presently between us or not. I will not stop shooting until he is dead just as he won't stop until we are dead. You will most likely die before either of us. I'm not talking about the times when you are like 10 or 15 feet in front of me because more than likely the line has moved, I'm talking about when I'm on the line and you decide that is a awesome spot that I have.
    • The same applies for my grenades. Please for the love of god this isn't football. Stop intercepting the grenades for the enemy. I don't go jumping in front of you when you have a rocket launcher out.
    • Don't shoot me as a way of informing me that you need something. My only response will be from my own gun. Use the in game voice commands. Once or twice will do, no need to spam.

As a Medic
    • If you call for a medic for a fallen comrade, and you see us shoot a green glowy beam at him, and you see him sit up, we have done what we can. At that point it's up to the fallen soldier to accept our help and come back. Yelling for a medic after that will not yield any other results.
    • As with the engineer, I would like to note that shooting the medic is not a way to communicate. I can't speak for every medic out there but I can guarantee you that my partner in crime will check your pulse with his commissioner if you do this to him. The difference between us is that he will rez you and do it again. Because damn it Jim, he's a doctor, not a target board.
    In Closing
    Lastly, I would to inform everyone out there who think there are roles one must follow that these brave men and women are standing on the front line with you. They have been given and trained in the use of firearms and they will use them. You may think that you are all that and a bag of chips because your name has assault in it, but rest assure that there are plenty of engineers and medics that are doing what you do on top of their added responsibilities, because they can multitask like that. You apparently can't.
    • Up x 68
  2. unjulation

all good dude !

as someone who plays 100% engi i hear what you are saying :)
  3. JonboyX

Ahh. But you my friend might just be in the 10% who know their *** from their elbow.
    The others got weapon number three out, couldn't see any bullets when they pressed fire, then hit (1) and ran off.

"The medic has a repair gun? No it doesn't! I have self heal though. THAT makes me a combat medic."

Given the ludicrous XP you get for healing, repairing and rezzing people (particularly rez) I often see friendly medics ignore all battle surroundings and run around with med tool out, or conversely, whilst dead, watch whilst 3-4 plus icons circle my still warm corpse, then run off in opposite directions seemingly deeming my potential 100xp not worthy of their time.

Just re:Max point 4 ... sometimes a slight amble away from the engineer encourages them to come with you so you can do a shield push and point clear out. Rare, but just sometimes... it happens, and it's a beautiful thing to see.
    • Up x 1
  4. ABATTLEDONKEY

Enjoyed the read. Correct on every point!

As a guy that plays support roles more than anything else, I can attest for this posts accuracy.
  5. ABATTLEDONKEY

Thats why he said "go find a squad and some friends". Max pushes with a pocket engi are cool to do, and extremely dangerous for the enemy, but you cannot expect a pubby engi to play along.
  6. Sovereign533

I agree with most, if not all.
    But if I'm standing somewhere, and you're hurt standing in front of me with my medic gun out. And you need heals and I'm not responding. It means I'm drinking so my hand has a glass in it, not a mouse. If you shoot me to get my attention I will respond with my shotgun and run off to my mates who also needs heals and rezzes.
    • Up x 2
  7. DashRendar

This was much more annoying at release before the weapon auto switch was fixed, it would switch to your primary when an ammo pack deploys. You'd stop in front of a MAX spamming AMMO AMMO AMMO, then drop your pack and have to wait a good 5 seconds before attemping to pull your repair out lest you pellet him with your primary instead, all the while he sees you not with repair gun out just standing there and he's spamming FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT... JESUS MAN I'M TRYING, OR WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHOOT YOU INSTEAD?
    • Up x 1
  8. llPendragon

I learned to control my patience the first time I saw an Engy drop a tank mine because he was trying to move the weapon switch along too fast...
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  9. Mr_Giggles

Well that is true and I won't deny it. In almost every mmo that I've played, I've played as a support class. In DAOC I was one of the only shamans that wasn't a bot. I also played a healer. In WAR I was a DOK, and during that time the number of DOK's or Priests determined the outcome of the battle. In AOC, again I was a shaman. In Guild Wars I was the mage who specialized in Fire and water (Massive AOE damage and heals). The list just goes on.
    When I first started playing PS2 I started as a medic, but became an engineer soon after and just fell in love with the class. Even now occasionally I try playing a HA or a Max but I quickly revert back because I can't stand having so few tools at my disposal.

And in each of those games I have been following the same game plan since the dawn of time. If you have time to read you can find that game plan here. My main point here is that I don't mind if you ask politely for me to pay more attention in a particular field which I may take into consideration, but don't tell me how my class should be played, especially if you've never played it yourself. You will be greeted with resistance and resistance is not as futile as one thinks.
    • Up x 3
  10. WycliffSlim

As someone who DOESN'T play support a lot. I fully support this and thank those of you that do support well. I only pull medic or Engie when I'm supporting my squad or I can resist all the free rez xp ;)

HOWEVER, there are a lot of people who play support that don't support. Now, personally I know that I can't tell people how to play, but it is incredibly annoying to be following a medic around with health in the red spamming "save me please" and he just keeps running around doing jack-all until he stumbles blindly around a corner into a HA and then I hightail it out of there laughing. You don't protect me, I won't protect you. This is also why I have 4 medkits on my HA. Gotta be self-sufficient.

That being said, as a HA when I get a good Medic on me or an Engie as a MAX I protect them with my life! I've been a bullet sponge many times before because I know that if I keep you alive you'll keep me alive, if you die, we both die.
    • Up x 3
  11. NoctD

Even a public squad can fail to provide proper support, responded to a call for reinforcements that was sent via orders chat, joined the platoon, and found myself a dead and abandoned MAX... they were all around me but failing to rez, and we hit the bio-lab with a bunch of medics, engies and MAXes. What the medics were up to, I don't know, and the order to "rush" was a bad one, called at the wrong time, which is what got me killed in the first place.

I waited for a rex until the game crashed, and when I logged in again, I went elsewhere and did something else. Found a different fight where I did just fine without ANY engie/medic support... nanite repaired myself and terminal resupply.

I think I'll just stay by my lonesome and rely on the goodwill of better medics/engies to help at times, and take my chances otherwise.
  12. asmodraxus

Oh so very true
  13. IamDH

I need an engineer!

Engineer continues walking

I think i broke it!

Medic thinks he can heal you

• Up x 1
  14. IamDH

Not exactly how i imagined "Support class"
    • Up x 1
  15. Liewec123

i've noticed recently when my max dies i'll see all of those lovely X's circling around but never rezzing, its so frustrating when they seem to run right over you, a squad of mindless medics.
    also engineers now seem to be too busy spamming Under Barrel Gren00b Launcher from the spawnroom to resupply and repair anyone.
    so i'm one of those people who'll continue to yell "DO YOU DAM JOB!" ;)

but yeah i agree with all of your points, if someone is repairing/healing you don't run away,
    don't call for ammo if there is an ammo pack/spawn room right by you,
    all of the things that make sense really :p
  16. Mr_Giggles

Well that's because I'm not solely your little *****, I'm the community bicycle.
    • Up x 5
  17. vincent-

As a supporter class of all games thank you for sharing this.
  18. IamDH

You get XP for it. You're not running a charity

If the same point applies to all the MAXes you repair then you aren't anyones "little ***** "
  19. Mr_Giggles

That's right, I do get XP. I get XP from every single Max that comes to me and my ammo pack. We'll take Sunday for example. I logged in during an alert and decided to join the fight at the crown. The NC had taken point C and were really pushing us back from that entire ledge so I set up an ai turret in one of the buildings, covering most of the entrances, and the ones I couldn't cover I mined. I put the ammo pack by one of the doors.
    I was the only engineer there and I was servicing 4-5 maxes. Now imagine if I simply latched on to the first MAX and ran behind him. I get XP for that MAX. But doing it my way, I get XP for 4-5 Maxes AND I got 6 kills in between. We not only pushed out but the TR took several territories after that.

So all is good. Like I said, if you want your very own slave engineer, join a group and make some friends. I ain't your ***** and I never will be. You want repair, you come to me. You want ammo, you come to me. It's not the other way around.
    • Up x 3
  20. vincent-

Don't assume you have all the rights on medics and engineers we have better crap to do than baby sit you.
    • Up x 4