3 things that have nearly ruined PS2 that can still be avoided (applies to all factions)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NovaAustralis, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Messaiga

I think that he thinks that if it were too powerful it could be even better than the Pre-Nerf Burster Max (No resource costs, more damage in a shot, etc.)
  2. axiom537

I don't think 4th factioning is that big of a deal.

I agree lock-ons where a big issue. I think the change to how they work, may have fixed them for the most part or at the very least given them a modest skill / Risk requirement to use them.

I agree Infinite medic revives is a BIG issue. I would like to see some restriction put in place on the players, but not the medic. ie... Infantry should have a max revive count of 3 and MAX's 1 revive and there needs to be a mechanic where the live player can force the dead player to respawn. ( If your team clears the room, they should be able to force all those enemies to respawn, rather then hope a medic doesn't simply squad deploy and drop a revive grenade and bring them all right back up.
    • Up x 1
  3. DirArtillerySupport

I think you should change your first point and say what needs to be said. The F2P model has ruined Planetside and given rise to the 4th empire. Going back to the subscription based model with one account per identity (credit card) is the only way to insure accountability over 99% of the player base....but we all know that is impossible now and the chaos will continue...so why even bring it up?

It does beg the question...will the 4th empire exist beyond a few individuals on the console servers?
  4. Regpuppy

That sounds like more of an issue with the strength and less of one with the idea itself. I remember back when AA was extremely strong. I'm not suggesting we go back to that. I was merely suggesting an alternative that turned current lock-ons into something flak-like mechanics wise. Whether it be one big damage burst with the same ammo limitations we have now or basically ripping a burster off from a max and turning it into an HA weapon.

What I'm not suggesting is a weapon that could keep a whole hex air-free single-handed. Like the old AA.
  5. Lucidius134

Burster XS's were 3 shot flak launchers that did a lot of damage with each shot. Do not confuse them with 2 bursters. They were removed before most anyone could cert them or didn't have a cert cost but were at least viewable after launch. They first showed up pre-launch in a patch that also showed several max weapons that were never released (AP variants of then current AV weapons).

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/max-beta-weapons.74863/#post-1332007

The joke was that we had them at launch for sure but they were removed without word shortly after.

Edit: It's Burster XS.
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/MAX_Anti-Vehicle?direction=next&oldid=10620
    [IMG]
  6. Regpuppy

ohhhhh! I vaguely remember those. God, man, that was forever ago. There were a ton of weapons that got pulled last second and I didn't think of that one.
  7. Fanaticalist

1. I agree with this 100%. One issue at hand though is the lack of servers. If there were several active active servers per region then this would make sense to me. Instead, a 30 minute lock for activating a character of a different faction might work. To limit multi-accounting, make the Planetside 2 client use 1 account per installation.

2. Mostly agree with this. Defending the existence of lock-ons with the realism argument is just silly. Go play a game based on reality then. However, I always thought it would be a more fun mechanic for both flyers and ground players if there were dedicated SAM sites around Auraxis. Either independent facilities or integrated into existing bases as turrets. It presents regional target/threat for pilots and defense for ground-pounders. I also think laser-guided projectives would add a lot of fun and flavor (more so than lolpods), but such is life.

3. Medic revive itself isn't the issue - the problem is how battle flow has evolved. Since defense is difficult to organize, and usually late, it is significantly weighted towards defense on foot. When was the last time a line of tanks defended a base? This means attackers don't have to put much weight into anti-vehicle work and instead focus on keeping the attack moving forward with medics. I don't have a great answer for this. Maybe for the current state of the game a "nanite pool" that gives a medic enough ammo for 5-6 revives before rearming.
    • Up x 1
  8. Lucidius134

Edited my post with a link and screencap.
  9. Dethfield

Im kind of appalled at the recent medic hate. Do you guys seriously want to discourage players from playing one of the most important classes in almost every game where they are present? I bet you cry medic when you get killed like everyone else, OP. You should thanking those medics for doing their job and not rolling medic just for the self-regen.

In all honesty, have you every tried to simply kill the medics? I take a certain perverse pleasure in waiting for a medic to revive an enemy, and the jumping out and killing them both. Or "camping" the dead body repeatedly until the enemy simply respawns instead of accepting the revive. Medic's revive is a minor problem, if it even is a problem.
  10. Regpuppy

I remember wanting the eagle purely because of it's name...
  11. IamDH

I disagree that the fix is impossible. There are multiple ways suggested to lessen the population balance
    I too have thought of something

I feel like i'm advertising here so i apologize if this is inconvenient but here is my proposal if you are interested
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/amirite.149702/

This is definitely not the best of solutions but when paired with other ideas such as preventing faction switches i believe it could work nicely
  12. Handsi

1) Yes 4th factioners are destroying servers
    2) Lock-ons are terrible and 4th factioners add to lock-ons being more OP
    3) Medics are fine, the Empire Specific junk is very poorly balanced
  13. Bill Hicks

I agree with the first 2, but medics are nothing when you consider the ultra low time to kill in this game. Medics just means that kids need to learn that you must actually take control of the area you just cleared.
  14. Phyr

We can remove lock-ons when we limit vehicle range to >200m or we buff dumbfire velocity 2 or 3 times.
  15. DirArtillerySupport

You are trying to deal with sick and twisted individuals who have nothing better to do than ruin the game for everyone else. It might shift the percentages around a little but as the game ages and boredom sets in 4th Empire Outfits will become very common. There is zero accountability for anonymous masses...it's like killing the power at a grade school sock hop. Forty year olds regress into children and giving them gold stars will only keep them occupied for a few short moments.
    • Up x 1
  16. phreec

Agreed on all points.

1.) Yes, yes and YES!
    2.) Remove lock-ons. Add fast, wire-guided shoulder fired launchers like the AT4 in BC2 (but faster).
    3.) As a Medic, sort of bummed about this but reviving is indeed too effortless at the moment.
    • Up x 1
  17. IamDH

Yes they do ruin the game without a care in the world however they do it for a benefit. If there was no benefit to 4th factioning then there wouldn't be a fourth faction. As it currently stands, its either winning (steamrolling) or losing (steamrolled). Make the benefit bigger to be the underpop faction and you have solved 4th factioning
  18. Sen7rygun

1. No
    2. No
    3. No

Deal with it.
  19. Camycamera

there is nothing wrong with the medic. it has never been a problem; why are people complaining about it now? :eek:
    • Up x 1
  20. LOLdragon

Oh, no. No, no, no. We are NOT turning this into Team Fortress 2. Revives are a very basic gameplay mechanic that encourages squads to stick together and use communication and teamwork to fight alongside each other instead of being all XxXLoneW0lfMLGtryh4rdXxX.

A team of players that hot-drops onto an enemy fortification by way of a spawn beacon, which is often very far away from a Sunderer relies entirely on Medics to stay alive and hold their position. The player who made the skilled kill on another player still reaps the benefit of that kill: they get the XP for it, and if not force the player to respawn further away, they also forced a medic to expose himself/herself to enemy fire to revive that player.