Would I Still Suck at 60?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SocratesEverywhere, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SocratesEverywhere

My FPS ranges from 4-29 with every setting at lowest and using every tweak that has been posted in the forums. I get owned pretty hard the second I set foot outside a spawn room. I'm trying to determine how much of this is me versus how much is computer related in an effort to decide whether to buy a new comp.

So for those of you who are actually good at the game, could you still perform well with FPS from 4-29? Or would you rather piss glass?
    • Up x 1
  2. P4NJ

I play at 5-25 and I'm doing semi well. As you gain experience you realize that you're not gonna win a fair fight, so you don't go into fair fights. Flank, rush, do unexpected stuff. Situational awareness > ability to aim. But you'd certainly do better with 60, though we cannot really know by how much since well, you don't have 60.
  3. lothbrook

Typically anything below 20 FPS is going to really hurt your ability to play, start to get a lot of jerking of the camera, 15 or lower and you might as well kill yourself, lol. Conversely after about 30 FPS you don't really notice it much, slightly smoother experience but you won't play any better.

My FPS goes from about 15-60 it really sucks that it drops that much at times.
    • Up x 3
  4. FateJH

I infrequently die to the person I am shooting at (and who may start shooting at me). I always die to his buddy who is standing outside of my field of view.
    if this is your experience, fps is not going to help you.
  5. Rohnlex

Having 60 fps is a huge advantage, so no you wouldnt still suck.
    • Up x 3
  6. ViXeN

I started out with like 15-20 FPS and a 200+ ping when I was a kid on Tribes and CS and I played really well. I'm sure I could still do it if I had to for some reason. You can definitely overcome your FPS disadvantage and it will make you a better player.

Right now I get around 50-60 FPS normally and it drops to around 40 in large fights so not too bad. :D
  7. Stick Pin

I get 150 + at the warpgate while looking at the sky, 140 at the ground. In a Bio fight, around 30. I if go below 30 I move to a smaller fight, can't shoot someone who has moved across the room and already killed you. I have physics off and numerous other settings off and others on low. Since GU15 I've turned off my sli and that made all the difference.
  8. ViXeN

Try turning off shadows in the config thing. I did that after reading about it on the forum and it seems to have made a big difference for me. Also, I actually prefer playing with the shadows off now.
    • Up x 1
  9. lothbrook

Shadows are done pretty poorly, i got annoyed seeing the shadow of an aircraft only to look up and see that its 500m away or further yet is casting a shadow like its on top of me.
  10. Liewec123

you do play better with higher fps. alot better.
    i followed some tutorials and managed to bump up my fps by a significant amount and it's like i've just activated god mode (well ok maybe not that far) but you can actually keep an aim on people, the mouse works smoothly rather than clunking frame by frame
  11. LT_Latency

It will be hurting you. Aimming smoothly and on target is hard when everything is choppy
  12. IamDH

Default FoV is great tbh

Dont need much more
  13. WorldOfForms

Most of the skill in this game is about getting the jump on your opponent. Whoever shoots first typically wins. This means flanking and surprise are most important, which don't require a high framerate.

Adjust your playstyle to compensate for low frames. Play light assault with a shotgun or infiltrator with SMG, and sneak around and shoot people from unexpected angles.

Also consider using Lightnings or MBTs, as they don't require twitch skill/high FPS.
  14. Larolyn

Those rare, rare, rare fights where I am hitting 40 fps it's like I have activated hacks mode or something. Things just come together so well and I surprise myself. Most of the time I am sub 30 fps usually hanging around the 25 fps mark. It's semi doable. You have to plan ahead and take less risks but that's boring so most of my 25 fps combat is just a slaughter fest where I get blown up, shot, bombed and everything else in the most interesting of ways.
  15. Tommyp2006

Having higher FPS really helps your reaction time and aiming abilities, though if you are constantly in the wrong place at the wrong time, no amount of FPS improvement will help you there.
  16. Hoki

FPS and lag make a HUGE difference.

Some things that will increase your "performance" (I hesitate to call it skill)
    • Get good computer gear, get that 60fps (low settings is fine unless you're making movies"
    • Get a fast connection like cable or dsl
    • Get the right guns for your playstyle and don't use weapons that aren't diverse (good at niche, adequate at non-niche)
    • Use your loadout templates for common situations you run into. Don't be married to one kit
    • Use the right class and loadout for the job. Don't be married to one class
    • Despite what the naysayers say, camo does make a difference. Get camos that blend in well with the most common surroundings of the continents, and then the darkest camo available for nighttime use.
    • Never use a silencer.
    None of these really have anything to do with skill, but you will outplay someone that doesn't mind these things.
  17. Trysaeder

All of this is true only because many people can't break 30 FPS. The most important things are important because they do not require a high frame rate, where in fact, not having a high frame rate makes these things the most important (i.e. it begs the question). Higher frame rates feed you more information and gives you a better chance of turning around and shooting the guy in the head. Not having to extrapolate between frames frees up mental resources that can then be used to analyse the environment and situation. It also updates the status of your aim faster in firefights, which is vital for handling high RPM weapons. I personally get a huge skill boost when I switch from day time anything to middle-of-the-night outpost battles because my FPS is no longer <30.

If OP was to get 60 fps somehow, most of the tactical aspects of this game wouldn't change, but the gunplay and spotting reflexes definitely will.
  18. RHINO_Mk.II

Strangely enough, using the darkest camo is only going to make you stand out in these twilight nights we have currently. You're much better with a dark green or grey camo at night that straight up black (plus, they're cheaper) If they actually made night look like a real night, however...
  19. Posse

I'd rather piss glass, anything below 40 is annoying enough, below 30 it turns unplayable, you can't play a multiplayer FPS like it's supposed to be played with less than 30-40 FPS.

Of course, if you flank someone you'll beat him anyway, but l'd find pretty frustrating to lose every single heads on fight just because my FPS were crap.
  20. Pixelshader

4-29? Go for the upgrade, you'll do twice as well at 60+. It is hard to play a shooter well with 45 fps, let alone sub 30.

Install some old shooter game you can get 100fps in and see how it feels. I can't explain in words how much easier these games are when they're running smoothly.

If you upgrade, look at the 120 or 144hz monitors too. They really help out with getting that snappy, tactile feel of a smooth running game.