Who do I talk to about crosshair overlays?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sladuog, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Johalt

I'm not saying they shouldn't allow accurate sights, I'm saying they should make the sights accurate so this isn't even an issue. Besides, the overlay allows for all kinds of other cheesy **** you can do, so I'm loathe to say it should even be okayed as just a temporary fix.
    • Up x 2
  2. Aegie

Exactly my point all along- SOE should make the game less garbage. +1 for actually reading the posts.
  3. Lord_Avatar

Hands down one of the most amusing threads I've ever read around here...
    • Up x 1
  4. Gheeta

They really need to fix the underlying issue. Kinda silly that they haven't commented about this yet.
    • Up x 1
  5. FireStarterXoX

I play this game in 3D from time to time. I see where some of you are coming from because when you play this game in 3D you pretty much HAVE to use the overlay the nvidia drivers give you to aim in the game. If you play FPS games in 3D you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, if I go in 3rd person on a tank with the crosshair it definitely feels like cheating.
    • Up x 1
  6. Being@RT

This issue still needs Dev commentary, so back up to front page you go.

Perhaps a moderator could sticky it so we don't have to keep on bumping (or better yet, forward it to a Dev and make them answer)? There's not much more for us players to say about the subject, but we don't want the thread to be lost either.
  7. Aegie

Yeah, and in this case I would be more inclined to agree than in the case of ADS with a character in large part beacuse 1) why is there a 3rd person mode in the first place (nanites?) and 2) if there is going to be a 3rd person mode then it makes perfect sense why there would not be a crosshair (because you are not aiming the weapon).

This is yet another reason why the devs should just fix the ADS already. It is silly the way it is now and I would not be surprised if this is making a faction difference in that horizontal recoil actually helps when your sights have a horizontal misrepresentation of where the center of the COF really resides.

Personally, I just find it completely absurd that they would give hipfire 1) perfectly accurate 100% of the time crosshairs, 2) the size of the COF, and 3) the laughable "shoot when this turns red" nonsense. Yet then hit ADS with 1) big movement penalties (a HUGE downside in any FPS), 2) misleading sights, 3) no information regarding the size of the COF, 4) no easymode color changing reticle.

Hipfire- the IRL least accurate way to shoot a weapon- has crutches everywhere and is the fastest way to move and shoot and ADS- the IRL most accurate way to shoot a weapon- has downsides everywhere.

The game is already biased enough towards CQC spray and pray. It just feels wrong- especially when one of the factions is more or less specifically designed to dominate CQC spray and pray.
  8. Testament

It's obviously a bad mechanic that needs to be addressed. However, dealing with such issues with ducktape or 3rd party overlays is indeed cheating.
  9. Gheeta

It's kinda sad that there has to be 10 threads about a blatant bug like this until it gets noticed. At this point i could care less if someone makes a crosshair with piece of tape since they refuse to acknowledge this issue. Just a simple "We are working on a fix" would do wonders...
    • Up x 1
  10. Testament

That's why it is important to keep threads active with an occasional bump. To be honest, I'd be happy with the scope not moving around the screen when moving a character. NV scopes are a good example of how scopes should work in this game.
  11. IamDH

Who should you speak to?
    YO MOMMA

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    • Up x 1
  12. Johalt

I'm kind of surprised there still hasn't been any response on this, especially considering it makes it seem that they are okay with it then.
    • Up x 1
  13. Fang7.62

Simple 2x2 red dot cut out of some sticker is undetectable and in cobmination with 3rd person enables you to reliably hit stuff from a tank even when speeding in a rough terrain which is basically impossible in 1st person. So yeah, SOE fix your sh*t or you'll have some godlike mbt and harraser halberd gunners that hit stuff while midair and you cant prove sh*t to them. Hint: it already is a problem.
    • Up x 1
  14. Gheeta

That would probably be the fastest / easiest way to fix it. I would be fine with that :)
    • Up x 1
  15. ColdCheezePizza

it never ceases to amaze me what some people will do to gain any edge they can, isnt it more satisfying to win without any crutches. I nderstand losing sucks but it's just a video game. The sad part is the people who use this wether its tape, markers or a program are usually the ones bragging the loudest about how good thier k/d is or whatever, pretty pathetic. I should invent a video game performance enhancing drug, would probably make a killing
  16. Fenrys

You're too late. They already exist.

caffeine
    adderall
    modafinil
    piracetam
    centrophenoxine

Low doses of various illegal substances I'll chose to not name here will also improve your game.
  17. ColdCheezePizza

great now all I need is to come up with a catchy name and marketing campaign for my new proprietary blend geared to the wannabe MLG crowd, within a 3 months I'll probably be able to buy majority share of SOE and make Stew360 president.
    • Up x 1
  18. TheBloodEagle

I'll all for fixing some bug in the game but I don't want the game turning into this:

• Up x 1
  19. Lucidius134

Protip: if you want to see the exact center of your screen while ADS"ing you could use HS/NV which is balanced in that you're inhibiting soemthing to gain something else.

Also, Sight movement seems intentional since the Acog 4x in BF3 does the same thing.
  20. jayrow

Okay so I'm the one who asked this question back in December in this post. https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...dle-of-the-client-window-get-me-banned.62365/ Been thinking of coming back to PS2 after a long break and wanted to see if there has been an answer on this topic and holy crap still no word! I did however have a message in my inbox from a player name yoza, and he actually got a response from customer service. Here's his convo with the CSR:

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (GM Guvner) 01/30/2013 02:03 PM
    Greetings allcapsman,
    Thank you for contacting Planetside 2 in game support regarding this game inquiry. I would say that you're probably safe to use an overlay crosshair. As long as you aren't altering the game files to do something that would be impossible to achieve in game conventionally, there shouldn't be an issue. I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions or concerns then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Operative Guvner
    Planetside 2
    Sony Online Entertainment
    Customer By Web Form () 01/30/2013 07:33 AM
    I'm just wondering if overlay crosshairs are allowed or not. There is a thread on the public forums about it, and TSR AlexS says it probably is ok, but needed to double check. This was in the beginning of december, so I would really appreciate a definite answer on this.

You can see the thread here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/will-a-crosshair-overlay-in-the-middle-of-the-client-window-get-me-banned.62365/