M3 pounder HEG?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Upgraded434, May 31, 2013.

1. Purg

That comment alone tends to lend weight to the Pounder sucking.. unless that was 20 Vanguards you killed from one of the landing pads?
  2. OldMaster

Right this is the most stupid thing about pounders: it's too much difficult to hit something. Sometimes I'm in trouble even shooting tanks! Ridiculous. :confused:
  3. Pikachu

A 3rd one.
    [IMG]
  4. oherror

They are ok for indirect fire if you know how to use them but its only going to be a few people that know how. If your up high you can usually lob them behind rocks onto sunders just to rack up points.
  5. Kociboss

@Offtopic

I see more and more Cobalt NC playing TR. What is going on? You started to love the Republic again? ;p
  6. Pikachu

I wanted to try something different ans I like feactures, marauder, vulcan and prowler double barrel. :)
  7. Remonew

I bought the double pounders with cheese when the price was lowered to 250 certs.

In all honesty, they DO kill vehicle faster than fractures (three volleys to kill a sundy w/o blockade, 4-5 to kill a tank depending on facing etc...) but they suck in almost every other conceivable way.They have more theoretical DPS, but that does not matter if you cannot reliably land shots like the fracture

Against armor, these are the main issues I ran into:
    1) projectile drop makes landing shots hell beyond 100m w/o a complete understanding of angling and distance
    2) four shots per magazine really hurts, countering drop and velocity is very unforgiving.

oddly enough, at short range engagements with armor they DID perform well. But the same could be said of an engi with tank mines/anyone with C4. You don't have to rely on a slow max vulnerable to infantry, with an engi in tow.

Against infantry, these are the prime issues:
    1) dead zone. ****. that. zone. you need to aim nearly 1-2 meters left (OR right, depending on which side you fire) to hit a man, and even then its all eyeballing and guesswork.
    2) 3-4 hits to kill an infantryman is not "that" bad, but coupled with the dead zone makes it better to simply run or try and melee twice.
    3) splash damage doesn't exist. It is a lie. Its only useful for trolling friendlies into thinking they are taking damage to make them run for cover. Actually, that's pretty useful :rolleyes:

I get the weapons aren't meant to be useful against infantry. I don't get being better off trying to melee rather than shooting with my gun. Maybe im just trying to compare them to fractures in that regard, but the pounder max is basically defenseless to infantry.

My suggestions to fix them would be to increase magazine size and/or reduce reload time, perhaps reduce the projectile arc, and rework that dead zone. But since the price was lowered to 250, indar will probably freeze over before SOE looks at them. (just look at the latest PTS patch, they actually NERFED damage to infantry :( )
    • Up x 1
  8. Anvildude

Admit it. You want to be a glorified Mortar Team in a Mech Suit.

Another Dual Pounder here- and I even run it with Lockdown. I find cover with an engy friend and essentially mortar doorways, turrets, choke points and balconies from out of LoS.
  9. Pikachu

So far I have 7 screenshots of pounder MAXes.
  10. Mxiter

I unlocked it during a biolab fight overwhelmed by shotguns maxes. I really regret it. Even the stock cyler is more effective agaist it.

Sometimes i use it as mortar (interesting ROF/Reload with anchor), but the convergence makes it viable just with one arm.

SOE, fix the convergence and makes the grenades going parallels (rocketpods style but with drop).
  11. P4NJ

Do you have me in there? I think I saw that you were on Ceres =P
  12. Pikachu

[IMG]
  13. Varennikov

Pounder is so bad I'm surprised they didn't give it to the NC. This weapon needs help. Hopefully sooner than later. Some times good things to happen. Look at the Walker. I love it now, have it on my prowler and it is great.
    • Up x 2
  14. Van Dax

convergence should have been given to the fractures and removed from the pounders, why is the long range av tooled for close quarters and the close range av gimped with long range convergence?
    • Up x 4
  15. OldMaster

This would be nice.
  16. Compass

The biggest issue when comparing it cross-faction:

All other AV weapons for stock MAXes don't have shell drop. Wait a minute... do any AV weapons besides Pounders have noticeable drop? Like really noticeable, not minor bullet gravity.

Because with the Pounder/Cycler default loadout, if you're trying to aim with the Pounder, you can't hit targets in the same area with your Cycler, and vice versa, due to the different firing arcs.

Does anyone have issue with making the Pounder have less drop, almost like a mini-Falcon? Give it a recoil boost to make it harder to aim straight for follow-up shots or something.
    • Up x 3
  17. Makora

There's an easy 2 step fix to make Pounders awesomesauce.

1) Fix deadzone. Up to 30 meters they converge like AI weapons and from there on they converge like now.
    2) Add a 500 cert cost ammo option called "High Explosive". Does butt-all AV damage but has far better AI damage.

There, done. The pounders are pretty good at what they do against vehicles. But you are pretty screwed when faced up close with even an enemy MAX as up to 5 meters out you can miss both sides when aiming center mass (aim for shoulder height, the hitbox is widest there). So the convergence fix would give the AV weapons self defense capability. And the second ammo option gives a more specialized AI mortar ability.

OP? mmmmmmaybe. Awesome? Definitely.
  18. Pikachu

Now this was a strange thing. In a biolab today I got an instant death... by a pounder MAX! As if 2 shots was enough to kill me. I felt like I got hit by an UBGL. :eek:
    [IMG]

HE variant has been suggested before. :) HE version of other MAX AV weapons too. :3 Did you know in beta there were 2 versions of MAX AV weapons. One with no splash meant to be pure AV and the other with splash meaning it was either meant to be HE or HEAT.
  19. Pikachu

I tried dual pounders in a biolab. A thing I never thought about was that the lack of glow for the projectiles combined with the huge drop makes it difficult to adjust for the drop. It's harder to hit targets than I thought. And it doesn't get better with the fact that the crosshair doesn't have any compensation bars or what you call it.

Also it's funny that MAX AV weapons are described as effective against other MAXes (at least falcon has that) but of course the minimum convergence range makes it just as hard to hit them as infantry. Also the convergence issue makes it harder to shoot through windows or near walls since the projectiles often end up hitting the wall instead of where you expect it to go.

I think these weapons should get that little glow on the projectile that tank shells have. Not a big rocket flame that is visible from all directions like falcon has, just that glow from behind that helps the shooter compensate for drop.
    • Up x 2
  20. Mxiter

He might be anchored, it's where the pounders are interesting: Good ROF and good reload speed.

It have nice damages per mag, but the convergence combined to unanchored low ROF makes it really bad.