"How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Torkz, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Walking Bug

I can "play". But, I want to play against an actual player. Not against "my fellow" bugs and their kin.
    Right now those 2 sides are on Draw. And so am I.
  2. OldMaster

I think they could work on the HUD wich is strangely heavy. It should be quite easy!
  3. RX530SS

You should of just left it alone... :eek:
  4. Torok

5. Spookydodger

6 months isn't very much as far as development cycles are concerned. Sure this is a game from a AAA studio but it never felt like it had the weighty budget of a AAA title. And heck, look at SWTOR. It had the backing of EA AND Bioware and had seemingly less content updates and bug fixes than PS2.

Sure they haven't followed our recommendations in many cases (and in some actively went against them only to reverse course after feature release) but the customer isn't *always* right. I keep thinking back to the Lasher update that many said would nerf it even further into uselessness, but I find it to be much more useful now.

In the end, because this is a non-subscription game with no real leveling requirements, I'll keep coming back to it periodically much like Guild Wars 2 because, hey, why not?
  6. Spookydodger

Because few things rile people up like pointing our their deficiencies.

The number of job applications I get with terrific spelling and grammar mistakes boggles the mind. We usually post them on the wall, personal information redacted, to openly mock.
  7. DukeFlash

... my answer is optimization is already months overdue, should've had better multi-core usage from the very beginning.
    Anyone who has left over the issue probably isn't 'waiting' but rather moved on. Maybe they will come back if there's a real improvement, maybe not.

Most of us who still play aren't 'waiting', we just endure with no real hope of optimization improvement.
    I play less and less, though, and it's not because of burnout.
  8. redmamba

1st deadline: Until modern warfare 4 comes out.
    R.I.P PS2 deadline: Next March when my subscription runs out.

The state the game is atm there is less than 1% chance I'll renew my subscription regardless if they fix the performance or not.
    There is way too much problems with the game (bugs, client crasshes, performance, you name it ....)
  9. Kodaa

Clever girl...
  10. IamDH

• Up x 1
  11. MykeMichail

Holding off content to focus on optimisation? Sounds like a bit of an excuse for being behind schedule.

Are they telling us the people who create new weapon models, sounds, art assets and terrain, are the same people who code the game engine?

I don't think there's been so little division of duties since the day of Doom.
  12. gav3427

I'll wait a couple of months. I'm having fun, I don't really have crashing issues. The world is so big that I still haven't mastered fighting at even a quarter of all the bases. SOE seems committed to this game and I think it's just getting started as far as performance, depth of play, and content. I'm no supra-serious player, as you can probably tell by my stats, and I really enjoy all the different styles of play this game allows. It's still fun for me so I can wait for some "optimization". I could use a few more fps during high-pop battles but I still kill plenty of Vanu and NC traitors so I'm in no huge rush. Carry on SOE and make the crybabies happy so we can move on to something else.

[IMG]
  13. TeknoBug

Yeah there needs to be an EALouse for SOE. :p
  14. TeknoBug

There should be an option to disable some components of the minimap like when you go on the players website and disable some of the information on the world map, in a big fight the minimap is a mess and at times hard to distinguish what's around you even at max zoom.
  15. Cab00se187

And it is the first MMO in history to go free to play from launch in less than a year. And yes I understand PS2 is free but it doesn't excuse them for their lack of proper development.
  16. LordMondando

Contents pointless without vastly improved performance.

Most people, log in, play the game, play a few major battles, leave thinking 'wow very cool concept, but as a FPS/MMO gamer 28fps is just too little for me'.

Legions of people are waiting for this game to perform better.

And again, as I noted in my now memory holed 'shut up and wait' thread, the impatient children who think 2 months without a patch is a big deal. I want you to leave the game and go back to playing farmville or bejeweled.
    • Up x 1
  17. SpcFarlen

If they can double my framerate thats like having twice the game right?

But to be honest if they can get it done this month then within a few weeks launch Hossin with some other fixes/balance patches, ill be happy. To me getting this game to run better should have always been top priority, especially on a F2P model that isnt targeting a niche audience like say ARMA does by trying to give as realistic as an experience as possible. Thankfully right now i can participate in about every battle and not feel too hindered but many others i know stay away from large facilities and ever tower fights just because their framerates will tank.

So if you can make it where that is a non issue, i think it would please more people more (think greater good for the greatest amount of people) than say releasing a new continent that may tank even more peoples frames and cause them not to enjoy or experience it at a level which say a give with a 4.8ghz OC i7 4770k and a GTX 780 is experiencing.

A lot of us do have beefy rigs but a lot of people gaming these days are on laptops or even mid range desktops because they just bought their first rig. So its easy to say "oh it doesnt effect me, i want more content" but a lot of people are missing out on what we have today simply because the engine just doesnt utilize hardware that efficiently and requires a beefy rig just to become acceptable.
  18. Kodaa

TL;DW
  19. BoomBoom4You

Patience is running thin, I've seen my FPS drop since the latest patch.

I won't get into the specifics of my machine, but it should never drop down to 20-30fps, especially when playing a brand new game with a totally new game engine. The performance so far (not just FPS, but crashing and other bugs) has been abysmal and should be regarded as a failure internally at SOE.
  20. PWGuy93

When it's done it's done, that's how long.
    If I need something new, now, I will log on Hossin.