Could I run this well with this new build?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RadioactiveZenith, Aug 29, 2013.

1. RadioactiveZenith

I plan on building a computer with a GTX 660 TI 2gb and an Intel i5 3570k. I'm goig to stay at stock speeds of 3.4 GHz for a while until I get an aftermarket heatsink. Could I play on max settings with at least 30 fps in big battles? Also could I OC my i5 with the stock cooler to 4.0 ghz until my after market cooler comes in? Would there be a big difference from 3.4 ghz to 4.0? I appreciate any help.
  2. Botji

Depends on what you mean by max settings, if you really mean max on everything... Im not so sure you would be able to get 30 fps in the largest zergfests. Shadows and all that extra eye candy steals a lot from the CPU and sadly even a 3.4GHz CPU isnt all that great in PS2 land, nothing is.

For comparison I have a i7 920 @ 3.67 GHz with a GTX 680 and I use the "get good fps with everything maxed(ultra aside from CPU demanding stuff" wich means low shadows and trees, stuff like that.

In warpgate with not a ton of people there I can max out my FPS limit(I have set a custom 99 fps limit). If there are a lot of people there I might get high 70 to 90ish fps and large battles can go anywhere from 40-60fps, just depends on where it is taking place and just how large the fight is. Generally it seems to keep around 50-60 at least.

Your GPU is good enough, isnt all that big of a difference between what I have. The limiting factor will be your CPU, if I would make a guesstimate I would say that with the same settings that I have wich means a really nice looking game but still minimizing the CPU drain you would probably get 10-15 fps less than me just going by the CPU clock speed. Was some time since I tried different clock speeds and performance has gotten better so things might have changed a lot but I got quite sizable gains just from going from 3.4Ghz to 3.67Ghz.

Logical guesstimates aside, some people can hardly play the game because they get 10fps on new really good machines so its hard to say what is what. You might get around 70fps or you might get 20fps because PS2 hates you.
  3. daddy86

i5 is one of the few that actually does well in this game, i have the i5 4670k with an gtx680 and it runs like a charm. 50+ fps all the time.

With an i5 3570k and a 660ti you will probaply always have 35+ fps in even the heaviest fights aslong as you have shadows off and render distance not higher then 2k.
    i think its safe to say you can max out everything else since the 660ti is very capable of handling this game and i would have gotten it myself but i wanted some more power for when bf4 comes out that is also why i chose the 4670k.

All in all man i think you will be fine and you will be able to play the game nicely without it looking like crap!
  4. TheAppl3

You'll get stable frame rates in large fights. It's suggested you turn shadows to low. Maxing everything else is okay, but render distance beyond 1100-1500m is pretty pointless.

Not sure how the guy above thinks you'll be getting 10-15fps less due to a 267MHz difference which doesn't even account for or in the end make up for the overall performance clock-to-clock increase from Nehalem to Sandy (~11%) to Ivy (anywhere from 4% to 14%). Even ignoring the improvements over two generations, I fail to understand how a 7% lower clock speed should result in a 17-37.5% (10-15 out of 40-60) drop in frame rate. Then there's the turbo boost you'll have on a 3570k which throws it further into nonsense land as the four-core-active turbo speed of a 3570k is (by my perhaps incorrect recollection) 3600MHz, bringing it to within 67MHz of the slower-per-clock Nehalem.

Anyway, good chip and card. Enjoy!
  5. daddy86

im not basing my conclusion on technical report but on comparing it with outfit members. i have quite a few guys in the outfit with the 3570k and they run it fine and i have one guy who also has the gtx680 along with the 3570k so basicly only our processors are different and even thought the stats say we should be about the same i still have a signifant better fps.

Dont ask me for explanation :) it just is and like everything in this game its just unexplainable sometimes
  6. Paulus

Decent choice, you'll be much happier with performance once you overclock, but that's the same of any CPU if you're pushing the resolution anywhere near 1080p. For reference, my Rig in my sig plays the game at 150FPS at warpgate/when flying, and drops to between 40-50 FPS when in big multi-platoon biolab fights. I do however have shadows set to "low", as they are the biggest drag on FPS and don't have the PhysX partials on at all.