Lower framerate decreases the chance of hit registration?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tigerchips, Aug 27, 2013.

1. tigerchips

Is this correct? I have 30fps in large battles and it takes a whole clip to kill someone. Just wondering if this is why, originally I thought it might be the desync bug but now i'm not sure.

Basically this means that anyone who has an AMD CPU is screwed.

This has been in one of the previous patch notes as being fixed but I don't think it is.
  2. THUGGERNAUT

because of the way hit detection works in this game, lower framerate will always screw up hit registration (client-side).
  3. Stride

cool story bro
  4. rogviir

NC weapons of the disadvantage of being the most affected by lag and frame rate loss due to our slow firing weapons. The other 2 factions get by fine in lag because they can just spray and pray and more bullets will connect.
  5. Pikachu

Why they have client side? Sounds bad from everything I hear about it. o_O
  6. The Reveller

So we can have big battles.
  7. ironeddie

What the **** has this got to do with AMD? Anyone getting low fps is screwed of which there are plenty in the intel camp. So sick of idiots making dumb anti AMD comments.
  8. NikkoJT

The game is optimized to run better on Intel and NVIDIA CPUs/graphics cards. Most of the "dumb anti AMD comments" are AMD users upset that their ability to run the game is hindered by simply using (supposedly equal-power) hardware from a different manufacturer.
  9. ent|ty

Join the club, sir.
    PS2 is not for AMD users; unless you want to have an aneurism raging out because suddenly your KDR has been cut iby 75%
  10. Shadowyc

Here's to hoping that Optimization patch comes sooner.
  11. Ghosty11

Server side registration requires that each and every transaction (bullet fired, grenade tossed, character movement, basically anything you do in game) sent to the server, the server then registers each transaction and creates a time of events and then calculates whether bullets hit their target or not, then sends this info back to the client. Game like WoW use server-side registration to validate each and every server transaction. This is also why putting 100 people in a small area causes a game like WoW lag badly, because the server become bogged down processing so many interacting transactions at once, and it is also why many games use distance culling as a technique to reduce the number of cross-connected server transactions.

Client side registration means you cut your network traffic and server processing significantly since the server needs to send and receive less data per client and the sever/client cross-connections are not as complicated, since the client is doing most of the heavy calculations, and the server is more or less just a book keeper.
    • Up x 1
  12. S1eB

I find it a lot harder to aim and land shots when the fps dips to 40 and below. The difference is very noticeable, to me anyway. Twitch aiming is almost impossible with low fps as well, the responsiveness just isn't there.
  13. Pikachu

So it's a hardware limitation. :L They can't just fix it by brute force by getting better faster servers.
  14. Roarboar

It does feel like it, I need 100 bullets on average to kill an infantry unit at 5 meters distance. I can empty entire clips at that distance and hardly any bullet will connect. Happens almost every fight.
  15. Roarboar

Because no AMD cpu is capable of running this game.
  16. Chinchy

Fixed your emphasis. :)
    But ya AMD cores are great until you add a any sort of heavy single threaded load to them "IE every video game in existence that has over 48 people on screen".
  17. Izueila

I don't know about amd cpus but my crossfire 5850 runs Planetside 2 smooth in any battles ive encountered.
  18. ironeddie

My 100 fps at warp gate and only ever getting as low as 40fps in the biggest battles on high settings says otherwise. On ultra it dips to 30fps which many people think its perfectly playable.
  19. Roarboar

Not sure if I can believe it never dips below 40. Its not uncommon for me to get like 33 fps in amp stations. I have a phenom 2 1090t overclocked to 3.914 ghz
    Dont get me wrong, a minimum of 33 fps isnt unplayable but its by no means pleasant.
  20. ironeddie

Maybe high 30's 37,38. Never seen it as low as 33. On high settings since I put in this CPU. It's possible I haven't been in a large enough fight yet but I play my share of prime time. I'll try and get some screen shots or video next time I'm playing.