Zerg or get zerg is there are any tactic left??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, Aug 29, 2013.

1. CNR4806

Do this:
    [IMG]

Not this:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  2. Gammit

This is what I was afraid would happen with the lattice implementation. It sucks I was mostly right, but the good news is there are a lot of choke-points that can be easily-defended against higher numbers. The base layout revamp on Easimir helped this quite a bit.
  3. ent|ty

Only tactic that remains now is to shoot your enemy in the back of the head before your enemy shoots you in the back of the head.
    In a 1 vs 1, just spray and pray, roll the dice, and wait to see who gets the kill bullet.
  4. huller

I think the word you are looking for is orbital strike
    • Up x 1
  5. Mr_Giggles

See: Dust 451
  6. Corporate Thug

Fixed*

As far as tactics, I think lattice did remove lots of the abilities of smaller groups to split up the zergs by back capping etc. but really there should be some type of battle strategy map available to commanders. Such as a map that you can pull up and it would show entries that other commanders made which displays their forces and armor movements so you can add entries to it to help coordinate your contribution to the fight.

There are too many outfits/squads/platoons and people in general for SOE to expect one chat channel to provide all the capabilities needed to coordinate hundreds of people in such a massive game.
  7. HadesR

Still possible .. Dropping in behind a zerg when they leave a base and start to cap it, means in a lot of cases they can't cap the base they are attacking until you have been dealt with.
  8. MarlboroMan-E

I think there's a lot more "tactics" and under-popped fighting successfully than you think. Here's the problem. Zergs are what war is about. Remember "300?" Did they win? **** no they didn't win. I don't care how badass you are, eventually, there is a number of bad guys that will overwhelm even the most skillful defense. It is as true in PS2 as it is in RL.

2-1? Ok, if you're organized. 3-1? Better be organized and have above-average players. 4-1? I can think of a small handful of Mattheson outfits that could pull this off, and even then, they might be able to kill a lot of bad guys, but if it's a multi-point base (bio lab, towers) they'll still lose the base - after inflicting mass casualties. When cont-lock is 600 players per empire, how many extra enemy does a 10% advantage mean? You do the math. I don't care how good you are, at some point, numbers will beat tactics. And remember, tactics can feel if you make a mistake, numbers never fail in a world with unlimited spawns. That's just the way it is.
    • Up x 1
  9. S1eB

More than the performance issues, the biggest problem with this game is the zerg and farming mentality.

Too many people just want to zerg and farm and it's all they do. They are not bothered about having battles, they just want to steamroll 24/7. Even with the smallest outpost, people run off and get as many tanks, ESFs and MAXs as they can just to take on 20 odd people.

I want battles where it's a two way fight, not just one way zerg or be zerged. Those battles are hard to come by, but when they do happen they bring out what this game is all about and good times are had.
  10. Ash87

Really, if you want to stop a zerg you need to use the best things at your disposal for taking out superior numbers: Maxes and Engineer AI turrets. I've seen NUMEROUS times, where people deployed AI turrets well, and curb stomped a superior force charging in. Why? Because zergs are full of crap players who are incapable of understanding that in order to take out an entrenched group, you need to pour your numbers in one door, and PUSH past the defenses... and even then, a well entrenched group with a second line of defense with roving maxes, will Stomp the Hell out of those guys. All you need at that point, is enough medics to keep everyone standing, and enough Engineers to keep your guys alive. Oh, and bonus points if you put C4 down behind a line of defense, so when it gets overwhelmed you blow it and take out 15 people.

I'm sorry, but the whole: "Numbers are all that matters" thing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past as people have started using the tools at their disposal. It just required coordination and thought, two things that many players foolishly refuse to believe A.) Exists, or B.) is possible.
  11. JENKMAN

lol this thread. On the surface it may look like zerg vs getting zerg. But really it takes the coordination between outfits and a battle of attrition. It may seem like a battle for numbers on the outside.

But sometimes you are outnumbered and all you need to call for help and stick it out until reinforcements arrive. The gritty details get deeper if you only look.

There are plenty of tactics to choose from. Dont like them? Make your own. Get creative.

You still dont like it?

Maybe you arnt playing the right game.
    • Up x 1
  12. mblades

Because this game is about small scale fighting seriously its about huge fights if we are not having any except for 12v12/24/24 then your better off playing BF/COD/ any other arena shooter. Honestly whether I am in a big force or small force i enjoy that it is possible to get outnumbered where many games dont offer that.

Besides for me big fights are there to pull enemies away from smaller forces or another force to allow for your other forces to push down a lane that is less defended since you pulled the big zerg to you. There are tons of strategy just have to apply it beyond your single squad/platoon maybe even coordinating with other outfits/platoons as to what you are doing. Seriously i target zergs to allow other smaller squads/outfits to capture points around them while they are wasting time here being useless of course tactics are less when bio/tech/amp alerts start. Maybe less tactics then hex/influence system but there are always fights something that PS2 during hex/influence never really had unless you wanted to fight at the old crown.
  13. JENKMAN

An example of a smaller force turning into a big 3 way fight ;D. Killed both zergs with harrasers.

14. mblades

influence/hex system had more tactics from a commander view but sucked as grunt since you either ghost capped or did small skirmishes but no big battles and lattice did provide big fighting which is what PS2 is you can still have tactics both on that hex or in a bigger picture just not as varied like hex/influence system. It didnt really remove smaller groups to deal with zergs it means they need to have a frontline zerg to engage the enemy frontline zerg to draw more enemies to that ball of death and allow smaller outfits/platoons to use this to their advantage to either support the forces in the front line or push another line where enemies are much less concentrated on. for example engage/draw enemy zerg to quartz/indar excavation fights allow smaller forces/squad/outfits to push to the bio lab. Honestly tactics are still here just got to work with more people either in a big outfit or small outfit to accomplish things as opposed to one small outfit doing everything and then wondering why nothing is happening because they are not communicating their plans/ideas with other friendly forces. Hell i still play lattice as the old hex except i have multiple squads pushing multiple areas which give me more options or co ordinate with other outfits on how i should make a move.
    • Up x 1
  15. AlexS189

Assuming you have a full squad. Pull your optimum anti vehicle squad load-out whatever it may be, i go for 3HA, 4 eng, 3 AV MAX, 1 medic, 1 infil (recon darts help ALOT), grab yourselves an AA sunderer with AMS and vehicle ammo if you want tank support (and a skyguard if you prefer to man that instead). Set up slightly out of the way but not too much obv. Squad lead picks target AV guys destroy it, reload move to next target. AA works independently. 1 target down at a time and eventually zerg gone. If dead pull back, re-arm and go again. Eventually you will stop them :p
  16. Yasa

an important tactic is making sure you have more people at your command.
  17. Phyr

Zerg is a tactic. Easy tactic, but still a tactic.
  18. vilehydra

Lets get two things kinda straight.

Define what you mean by tactics, and also define what you mean by strategy. The connotations for these words differ wildly from person to person and can really clog conversations up.

To me personally tactics = any movement or plan that is directly involved in that battle. Examples being, sundy hunting, grabbing that tower for higher ground, move to that hill, flanking.

where Strategy is either a plan or mobilization that is partially removed from that specific fight, but still has influence on it. Examples here being choosing which territories to attack, when to spend or save resources, and overall coordination.

Basically tactics = fast paced decisions to immediately affect a battle while strategy = overarching decisions that affect the map (and by extension has at minimum a loose effect on battles)

All this being cleared up, plenty of tactics work against zergs, they will flow through the easiest path and spawn at the closest sunderers in droves which makes them partially containable, until they just overrun you.

Strategically speaking, the only strategy I've ever seen really work is a combination of guerilla strikes and tar pits. Holding them down in one place while you hit others, slowly attriting them out of resources and willpower.

The real problems with zergs however, is just the massive amount of manpower with no supply drawbacks. In any logistical situation what advantages does a small force have over a large force?
    1) Small forces are usually easier to coordinate and get moving.
    2) Small forces require less supplies.

A way to remedy this would be a modified ticket system, not one that wouldn't allow you to spawn if you didn't own any tickets, but would degrade your combat effectiveness if you didn't have enough supply.

The system could work like this:

Warpgates have infinite tickets
    Bases has a pool of tickets that slowly regenerates (very slowly but enough to ensure that normally out of combat bases are still supplied)
    Sunderers of the AMS/AMMO/REPAIR variety have a limited pool that will not regenerate, but can be refilled at any base that isn't depleted or the warpgate.
    Another vehicle or variety of sunderer would also be created for transporting tickets

If a base is not under attack then a sundy can show up and drain from the pool to refill itself, It can then use those tickets for spawning/rearming/repairing, or it can go offload those tickets to another depleted base that needs it.

When an Infantrymen spawns, he draws ten tickets from the pool, depleting that much from the base or the sunderer that he spawned in. If that base only has 9 tickets, then the infantrymen is spawned with 90% of his ammo (And if he's and engineer or medic, his tool will only work with 90% efficiency). Resupplying would also take a corresponding number of tickets corresponding to how much ammo was resupplied. However even if the base is at zero tickets players can still spawn with one clip for each weapon, but no grenades or med kits.

Same goes for tanks and aircraft, A tank spawn requires 50 tickets from the bases pool, if not all those tickets are met then the tank is penalized in either ammo or movement speed. Rearming a tank depletes the base (via ammo tower) or the ammo sunderer of tickets and can restore the speed to full if there are tickets to spare.

Bases that are depleted can show up on the map.

What does this system accomplish
    -It creates a supply system that can be raided as another strategic option to counter larger forces
    -It gives defenders a natural benefit of having a decent stockpile of resources to defend with while attackers have to keep resupplying the spawn and ammo sunderers
    -It makes zergs a significant resource investment, which is how it should be as they can really steamroll most other groups.
  19. JudgeDeath

Heh ... I guess OP does not count "Zerging" as a tactic for some reason.

Afterall it happens to be a valid tactic among the others. You might think that ooo its just a mindless zerg but you might be suprised if you knew what is going on behind it.

Allso this game is filled with tactical opportunities, you just need to notice and use them.
  20. JudgeDeath

On cobalt that channel is broken for the most of the time. It is a massive suprise if it happens to work at all. I do wish they fixed that up but I fear it aint going to happen anytime soon. Afterall SOE seems to think people play this game in squads.

Platoon leaders dont even get the tools of a squad leader unless they doublejob as such too.