A Positive Word

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SocratesEverywhere, Aug 27, 2013.

1. SocratesEverywhere

I see a lot of negative posts on these forums, and I thought I'd offer a counterpoint.

I'm a new player, and I love this game. I haven't played a FPS since Doom I, and a prime reason was a lack of diversity-i-balanced classes, vehicles, air support, terrain, etc. Instead, I played a lot of MMORPGs.

Somehow, I stumbled on this game and thought I'd give it a try--and wow! I feel like PS2 blends a lot of the best features of MMORPG with PvP that is much more based in player skill. And frankly, my skills suck--but that's part of the allure.

Frankly, the game seems fairly balanced to me. No game is ever perfectly balanced, but this game is better than most of those I've played.

I see regular maintenance and hot fixes, competitive teams, some role players, etc. Those are all good signs.

Anyway, I'm impressed. I hope some positive impressions from a new player will overcome some of the vexation many of you feel.

See You in Game,

S.Everywhere
    • Up x 8
  2. Duvenel

Positivity on forums.

This can only end well.

[IMG]
  3. DJPenguin

Give it time.
    • Up x 6
  4. SocratesEverywhere

Well, if you don't like the game, why play? There must be better ways or places to invest your time.
  5. Duvenel

You might be surprised, some of the people that complain the most on here are actually the people that care about the game the most :)
    • Up x 2
  6. Tnsr

You haven't played any shooter since Doom I?
    No wonder you find PS2 good without that knowledge what shooters can offer nowadays.
    PS2 lacks heavily technically, has a bad gamedesign, unbalanced weapons and price structure, poor map design, designers who don't have a clue how a good MP shooter should look like and a company that wants to push a game with so many problems into e-sports.
  7. VSDerp

ya these crybabys don't understand ps2 is one the best f2p shooters out. if you wanna know a real p2w shooter go to blacklight retribution.but i don't understand why these people cry so much on forums about how bad this game is but still post on forums and play lol.just pathetic honestly.no other shooter have the size of planetside 2 ofcourse it will have issues. if you think weapons are unbalanced idk what goes threw your head as a human. just don't get how some of this community thinks. just ungrateful players spoiled brats.
    • Up x 1
  8. VSDerp

by reading this you don't know what a good mp shooter is. why are you still here??? unbalanced weapons??? price structure?? are you serious?? come on now. you don't make no sense at all.
  9. Notih8Darian

COD and BF are way more unbalanced.
    PS2 has the most unique game design compared to everything else. I'd like to see you try to make maps meant for 3,000 players and have few bugs.
    • Up x 2
  10. Sossen

I think you should just delete your characters and leave if you think all of those things.
    • Up x 1
  11. VSDerp

people like tnsr should just be banned from the forums seriously.
  12. Chipay

Actually it's 1999 players (3*666) :p
  13. DJPenguin

^

I'd be the first to call myself a critic of this game. But from time to time i still throw out threads with suggestions and such. I've only been playing the Planetside series for 10 years now with no desire to see the sequel do badly. You'll eventually at least understand the frustration around here when you too see things like the same bugs reappearing update after update despite being "fixed", more weapons of a type being released that are generally resented by the community (ie. lock-ons), balancing contradictions (ie. nerfing Fury while not touching Marauder), putting emphasis on MLG when there's a plethora of problems that aren't being commented on by the dev team.. the list goes on.

But if this really is the first fps you've played in 20 years then of course you're give it a lot of praise. Enjoy it.
  14. Notih8Darian

Eh, it's still a whole lot larger than any of the mainstream FPS games are.
    I mean, there was even an experimental BF3 server that had 255 (I think) players and it was unplayable.
  15. MarlboroMan-E

Good for you, OP. I have done my share of ******** about population imbalance, but I still look forward to logging on as much as job, wife, kids and life allow.
  16. GSZenith

:rolleyes:+1

you know there was a time i had something good to say about ps2, the first 3min of gameplay before i got lolpodded.
    few days later spent my first 1k cert to buy second burster arm :confused:
    • Up x 1
  17. KanoHe

You guys seriously think that balanced game makes your gamplay pleasing and enjoyable? I might sound like a "wizard" but balanced games are plain boring for above avarage skilled players. Those type of games can`t prodce any thrill and keep being atractive... People should be afraid to die,but with 10sec respawn time...

Its not fun with one sided infantry game balance like now, you know:
    1) You cant headshot players with 50cal. sniper rifles 100m away, cus snipers are lame and does not even deserve their intended role... oh wait they are infiltrators ...
    2) Can not one shot players by using anti personal HE and HEAT arsenal without direct hits, mind you , it`s not great at all to know that High explosive 150mm 80kg round can almost do nothing to softie outside 1m blast radius... REALY?
    3) Mana AV, Dumbfires and UBGL soon will lose its ohk as others lost like Phoenix, Fury, Bulldog, Marauder, Viper,Pump Shotguns, NC max, Comets,Rocket pods, Saron HRB, Enforcer... Easy cheesy antinoob weapons ... meh
    4) WW2 but Tinfoil tanks and paper planes with counters found on almost any base(turrets) or any infantry loadout(c4) except infiltrator... Combined universal heavy assault arms...
    5) Infantry ******** about tanks and airplanes killing them, both air and ground vehicles find fightning infantry more troublesome than eachother... Because apparently air and ground vehicles have no other objectives but supporting infantry... Player based COD killstreak support "summon" button on a huge capture dem point map...

Planetside 2 needs to have more asymetrical balance, more deep faction traits integration, more weapon variation and devercity, more versatility for vehicle weapon systems, more resource depth, and objectives for all type of playstyles to acoumplish.
    Then we can talk about huge and healthy metagame wich is interesting to watch on MLG and streams.

What we can see Soe is doing now? Well in my opinion , trying to create more casual-friendly console free2play blockbuster... Wich will die very quickly after COD Ghost and Battlefield 4 release... Because those two games despite being copy-pasted franchises are very skill rewarding, and arn,t made to please casuals to begin with.
  18. Torok

Welcome and have a nice stay, ignore the trolls and Live Free in the NC... oh wait..
  19. Wezdor

Socrates, what server and faction do you play on?
  20. SocratesEverywhere

I play TR on Waterson.

Before I get hammered about that, I knew nothing about game balance or anything. I actually wanted to play a faction with less numbers. When I first logged on, there were actually less TR on. What SoE should actually do, I think is make it so you can see the overall percentage for each faction on a server when you log on. If you elect to go to the faction with the least percentage, they should unlock one gun for you for free for each class.

I play two classes: Medic and Max.

And because I'm coming from PvP MMOS where we didn't aim, I've been mostly camping inside spawn rooms and going to bases that are about to fall. It gives me practice hitting moving and non-moving targets. I know it's kind of cheap, but I'm super competitive and over-analytical. So I wrote a program for myself to get better at aiming:

1. Shoot dummies in VR Training.
    2. Shoot enemies from spawn room.
    3. Shoot dummies in VR training while moving continuously.
    4. Shoot enemies from spawn room while moving continuously.

I figure my basic skills should be pretty sharp by the time I'm done with step 4, then I can start to learn more about tactics, base layouts, etc.

I was also pretty pissed to find out that the game tracks K/D. I didn't know, so I spent my first week doing all kinds of crazy suicidish things. I think I died like 450 times in ten days. When I finally saw the stats tab, I started flipping tables.

Anyway, hopefully, I'll repair all of that.

I have considered--only slightly--switching to for two reasons: I love using shotguns on my medic and I like to play classes that everyone whines about to show others that it can be done. People whine like crazy about NC maxes.

But I hate blue. -_-