Black Flames Camo and Quality

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. SuBs

Not as much of a joke as SOE's own cosmetics. The players are doing a demonstrably better job than the game's own devs, what with thematically out of place flaming skull hood ornaments and dollar-sign camo. Ugh...
  2. mavix

It's really unfortunate that what goes in is judged more on how different it is and has less to do with the quality of it. Even if something better is made later, if there is anything remotely similar to anything they will decline it. So that means there is very little more you will see in the near future from the player studio unless they choose to be more lax in reviewing based on similarity.

btw, anyone like this?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. LT_Latency

I would think it could be a performance thing. No point in having you game need to load in 30 different skins that are basically the same thing
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

that's because vanu wanna hide their hideous girlish purple with camo, while terrans are proud to wear the red color of the republic even with camo applied
  5. Blarg20011

Dude, your uniforms are mostly black.
  6. Eclipson

They took it out? That kind of sucks, since people seemed to be liking it and purchasing it despite my nitpicks on the price point.
  7. Vidman

I would pay 10 no 15 bucks to have a custom designed ap prowler barrel that takes the place of the current one so i dont have to recert it. But we all know this won't happen.
  8. MrScrubbypants

That's a shame. I was planning on buying the Hex Camo when I had more than $5 to my name.
  9. jihon83

I think the biggest problems with the player made-camo now is that, thanks to the submission restrictions, they aren't actually being applied very well to the models. The example picture of the Sunderer seems like the best example, because the flames seem to emanate randomly on different pieces, rather than, say, looking like the entire lower half is cloaked in black flames, and the upper half is the slightly grayer field. I was thinking of trying my hand at making a camo, but understanding that the pattern is just applied from a 1024^2 area makes me reluctant, as all of the ideas I have would demand being able to reskin a model entirely, a bit like how the soldiers' base uniforms are made. I think a lot of the current textures, like the flames and the hexes, would be a lot stronger if the designers were actually allowed to create the outfits, rather than just sending a square and lettings SOE just slather it all over like a really messy wallpaper.
  10. mavix

Well, you have to understand that each model has the UV wrapped (basically, instructions how to position/stretch the texture on the model) around it a certain way and that is something you can't control. This means that the front part of a sundy is going to have a the texture look really stretched and doesn't line up exactly at the other angles no mater how you make the texture. So the only way around this is to make not so recognizable shapes as the pattern.

http://sktest.aruarose.com/PS2/CamoTester.html
    This gives you a pretty good idea how the texture will be applied. However, ingame it won't be as sharp an image.
  11. jihon83

It makes sense, but I think the community's creativity with skins will only be realized when they are allowed to try and make skins for the entire of the models. Right now, it's easy to imagine most camos won't pass because they're either too dull or gaudy with being faction specific color patterns, or they are too close to the utilitarian camos that SOE has already released. Hmm, that said, I can think of one camo that could be useful, but I'm sure others have already come up with the idea...
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

i wish they actually were, son
  13. NinjaTurtle

Yeah I think that looks pretty cool
  14. Kunavi

The one I liked and bought was the Hyper, red since I am TR but I'd pay to get it in white and black too. I use it on EVREYTHEANG NAO! :p

Keep making stuff, variety is good. Even if only 1 out of 4 is absolutely worth it, that 1 is not the same for all of us. People paid to look like GIRAFFES AND PALM TREES, I don't care about the Black Flames quality. Let it be.

Mavix it looks good but is a bit repetitive in my opinion, I don't like camos that look like a Win95 tiled BG with very clear repeated patterns no matter how well done they are.
  15. Goretzu

They are, son. Even the purple isn't purple it is almost black with a purplish shine, PS1 VS purple actually WAS purple.
  16. eldarfalcongravtank

if this is black to you, then i cant help you.
    [IMG]
    looks pretty gray too me.

this is black, though:
    [IMG]
  17. Goretzu

If that is purple to you, son, then I can't help you. :eek:

This is purple:

[IMG]
  18. eldarfalcongravtank

:confused: that's not the point. you guys claimed it was BLACK. it is not. it is mostly gray with some purple parts of the armor. did you forget what you wrote already?
  19. Goretzu

I didn't, son. I'm pretty sure I claimed:

Which is absolutely true.

The black, yeah it may be greyish if you want to be pedantic, although that's actually a better indoor and night camo than pure black in reality

And it's much closer to black than it is to a genuine grey.

[IMG]
  20. eldarfalcongravtank

to follow your initial post quoting me:
    default vanu armor is not black, but gray. doesn't matter if that gray is actually better for close-quarters or not, it is not pure pitch black. that was my whole point.