I can't decide on a faction to play

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cenki, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Cenki

I really want to focus on doing a lot of fighter piloting. I love the scythe mosquito and reaver, but the thing holding me back from really sticking to a faction and playing the game is knowing what I can look forward to. I know I should play them all and get a feel but i've done that and I can play for a few days and get 4 or 5 certs but you really can't buy anything with that and know what comes in the distant future.

When it comes to flying vehicles, what are the real faction differences if any? I think the scythe is my fave of the fighter pilots, but my indecisiveness is just not allowing me to play the game much.. ive been trying to play since the end of last year but faction choice has been bugging me all this time.
  2. iPervy

I recommend you go into the vr room and jsut test out the factions and their weapons/vehicles to your hearts content. That will give you access to most of what the factions have to offer so you can get a feel of which is best for you.

Edit: Is there anything specifically you are looking for in the faction you choose?
  3. Sen7rygun

The stat w*nks will harp on about one esf being better than another but ultimately the skill of the pilot is paramount. Play them all in the VRT, if dedicated piloting is your thing then pick your faction of which weapon set you like the best.
  4. iRhuel

Who says you have to pick? Play all 3.

If you want to fly, play TR so that you don't have to deal with strikers.
    • Up x 1
  5. ViXeN

Play Vanu, we're the best faction. ;)
  6. IamDH

TR
    You'll never get locked on and flying will be so much funner
  7. Rohnlex

Live free in the NC.
  8. Locke

Imo the TR Mosquito is the best fighter by a small margin and also you will have to deal with far fewer lock-ons which is a bonus.

I think the best thing to do though is just decide which faction you like and play it. Their are ace pilots on all factions.
  9. Cenki

Looks like my friends play TR on Matterson. I did like the vanu weapons so maybe ill have a vanu alt. alright, I guess its time to learn how to mosquito, and what weapons are worth my time. I do like their pistol being burst fire, but I hear TR weapons are very weak these days on infantry ;D

Also TR is giving me issues with enemies being red and my team being blue.. but.. my team is red and NC is blue. Argh so confuse.
    • Up x 1
  10. Spookydodger

You can change those colors in the settings page.
  11. Vladdrax

Welcome to the Terran Republic! By the way you can change your faction colors in the options. I myself have factions with their colors such as TR is red NC is blue and VS is Purple
  12. Zenanii

It's simple

If you want to play as paid terrorist, join the NC
    If you want to play as a mi dless drone to a dictatorship empire join TR
    If you want to play as a sci-fi race that uses alien technology join Vanu Sovereignty.

The choice is all yours.
  13. Tricky

It's simple

If you want to think the TR/NC are OP, join VS
    If you want to think the NC/VS are OP, join TR
    If you want to think the VS/TR are OP, join NC

The choice is all yours.
    • Up x 1
  14. RHINO_Mk.II

Here, let me help:
    [IMG]
  15. Zenanii

On a more serious not, the empires are all more or less the same, there are only a few parts that sets them apart:

ESF. They handle slightly different but from my experience it's not really that much of a differance (you choice of airframe will have the biggest impact on your flying), the main thing is AI weapons. TR have the banshee that is amazing for taking out infantry at long range, it's basically a rotary with a minor splash. Weak in A2A but still enough to fend for yourself.
    VS have the proton PPA. Has decent splash and massive magazine size once certed, making it the best AI nosegun for killing large groups of clumped up enemies. However,it has a slow velocity and kills single target quite slowly if you can't land direct hits so quite weak for lone targets. The slow velocity makes it by far the worst A2A weapon availible to ESF.
    NC have the mustang air hammer (AH). Being a shotgun, it kills targets quickly at close range, but with the risk of tank rounds and dumbfires you really don't want to be that close to the action when killing infantry. However, it is quite effective at shredding enemy esfs and liberators at close range. Out of the AI weapons it's the worst for AI and the best for A2A.

Heavies. First and foremost there are the heavy weapons.
    TR have the chaingun. It has a windup before it reaches its full firerate but after that it completely shredds anything in front of you with its high ROF and massive magazine size, this thing kills a max in 5.5 seconds flat. When fired in short bursts it can be highly accurate at long range as well.
    VS have the lasher. Possibly the weakest primary weapon in the game in a head on firefight (excluding stupid stuff like CQC sniper rifles or long range non-slug shotguns), this thing has the perk of hitting targets in cover and splashing to nearby enemies. Great for spamming against large groups of enemy units from a safe position to soften them up for your teammates and deny them area.
    NC have the jackhammer. I don't have any personal experience with this thing but from being on the reciving end it seems to be a shotgun with slighlty longer effective range and the perk of being switchable betwen semi-auto and pump-action.

Secondly there are the ESRL.
    TR have the infamous Striker. Extremely user friendly and highly effective at supressing enemy vehicles or killing reckless drivers, gives a warning to enemy vehicles before you can fire it though, can be certed against with smoke and flares and can't be used against maxes or engie AI turrets.
    VS have the Lancer. DPS is average but it have the longest effective range of any rocket launcher. Charge-up mechanic makes it cumbersome when fighting in urban enviroments though and can't be used effectively against maxes or engie turrets in CQC.
    NC have the Phoenix. Low overall dpd but high up-front damage. Only rocket launcher able to hit targets out of your LOS (no, lock-ons can not do this, you still need initial vision before they can be fired at a target). Situational, but when coordinated they can be great for taking out enemy sunderers or armor from behind cover, very useful when you're fighting outnumbered and there isn't really any way to get close to enemy armor for a clean shot. Main downside is the low range of 300m, meaning it has the lowest range of any rocket launcher. It can also be shot down by an alert enemy, but this is often largely bybassed by rendering bugs.

MBT.
    TR have the prowler with slightly higher speed and the highest damage output. Faction specific ability is lockdown which massively increase fire rate and velocity but prevents you from moving. Best tank for engaging armored targets from far away. With two shoots in the cannon the priwler is also the best tank for killing infantry.
    VS have the magrider, which have the slowest speed and damage output and can't face the front gun any other direction then forward, but has the ability to strafe, making it highly effective at dodging tank shells at long range and makes it by far the hardest MBT to place C4 on, ad well as being the best for avoiding HA dumbfire missiles. Our faction specific ability is the magburn, which gives us a svort burst of speed which is excellent for quick repositioning or dodging incoming enemy fire.
    NC have the vanguard, which have average damage and speed, but greater armor on front and side. Faction specific abilityis the shield, which abosrbs a set ammount pf damage and last several seconds. The vanguard, thanks to its shield and high armor, is the best tank in straight tank vs tank combat, but low mobility and long reload speed and main cannon makes it the worst tank for dealing with infantry.

Maxes.
    TR and VS weaponry are pretty much identical, decent at mid range and good at short range. TR have the lockdown ability, like the prowler this increase fire rate but locks you in place. Furthermpre, you only have a 180 degree angle in front of you where you can fire. Highly situational ability, I've really only seen it used effectively in biolabs when camping airpads/teleporter rooms or taking out unaware armor from long distance.
    VS have the ZOE ability which greatly increases our mobility but increases damage taken. Extremely powerful in smaller skirmishes where the added mobility makes you impossible to corner or hunt down and you can efortlessly dodge rockets and C4. Much harder to use in larger fights where you tend to get focused very quickly, the glowing makes you a big target.
    NC maxes have different weapons, using shotguns instead of machineguns. Have lower effective range but higher damage output. Does not have sustained damsge but instead unloads in large bursts, with a long reload during which the max is vulnerable. Facrion specific ability is the shield. Good for pushing enemies out of entrenched positions in smaller fight but goes down too fast in larger fights to be effective. Main use is to activate during reload.

Vehicle mounted gunner weapons:
    TR have the marauder as AI weapon. Low range but high damage ouput and decent splash. The vulcan is the TR AT weapon. It have lower accuracy at longer range, but have great dps at close-medium. Imo the best AV weapon for killing infantry. High velocity makes it good for taking out elisivd targets like harassers or esf.
    VS have the proton ppa for AI. While dps is quite low, it has no drop and good sustained fire, great for killing infantry at longer range or for supressing fire. The sauron is the AV weapon. Can fire the entire clip in a highly damaging but inaccurate burst good for close range. Can snipe with high accuracy at long range but dps is quite poor when doing so.
    NC have the Modified enforcer C85. We do not speak of it... For AV there is the (normal) enforcer. High accuracy, high dps, you really can't go weong with this gun, slightly lower burst the sauron/vulcan but overall good for all situation. Downside is that you have to continuasly keep firing which means leaving yourself out in the open for a prolonged period of time.

I'd say that just about sums up the overall differances betwen factions.
    • Up x 1