FPS Problems= HUD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by variablez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. PinkiePipeBomb87

Hey, thanks for this little gem, OP! Let me describe the little journey I went on. XP

So for a while now, (read: since the last update), I was starting to think Planetside was getting a bit laggy/choppy, but I wasn't sure. Moving around in the game just seemed a bit....rough. That and I noticed if I watched a stationary object as I ran past it, it wouldn't pan smoothly towards me, there was a slight jerkiness.

My rig is pretty beefy, and neither my CPU, RAM, nor GPU is taxed anywhere near the limit when playing. I tried a few fixes here and there, but I was reluctant to even go so far as to reinstall the game, as I was sure it had something to do with the update so many people are having issues with.

Well, today, I turned on my FPS monitor...and my framrates were all over the place. In fact, they were fluctuating SO bad, I could barely read the numbers. Whether I had settings on maximum or minimum, my framerates were oscillating between <20 or >80 fps, constantly, even if I filled the screen with a wall. Well, the HUD turned out to be the problem. Turning it off FINALLY stabilized my framerates, and got the game running silky smooth like it's supposed to.

Still, I haven't ever had this problem, up until the hotfix. Looks like SOE borked their UI worse than it already was. D:
  2. XRIST0

So yeah the hud needs an overhaul , its the major problem of the latest frame rate issues .

Disabling it makes the game smooth , enabling it causes stutter and generally choppy gameplay .
  3. teh_masterer

Just tested this in a medium sized fight at Regent Rock Garrison using an FX-8120 4.5GHz, 7970 1245/1550MHz 16GB RAM. Turning off the UI would consistently gain 10-20% higher FPS. No difference in framerate variation or stuttering as I don't have those problems.
  4. Hatamoto

This ... this is a much needed gain for this game, sadly neglected
  5. Hatamoto

If they had fixed the HUDs basic performance hogging i would have said the same thing .. now all that was done was an "un-patching".
  6. OldMaster80

BTW I've check and I actually get 10 fps at least when hiding the UI.
  7. variablez

this is exactly the same as me, it is not just 10 fps, it makes game jump from anywhere between 30 - 60 and is worse when you move the mouse quickly.
    game is impossible to play without HUD though
  8. Hatamoto

This is a problem ... a game like Planetside2 that cant pull more than 25-30 fps on alot of computers during heavy fighhting, id say its totally unacceptable to have a HUD that eats 10-15 fps during the situations the game is said to offer (massive battles).

Would someone who has twitter please direct MrHigby to this thread for a reply on why this hasnt been optimized yet?
  9. DashTech

Confirmed.
  10. dreamcast87

Here's the notes on the most recent hotfix.

All servers will come down for maintenance at 6:00 AM PDT (3:00 PM CEST) for a hotfix.

Downtime Start: 6 AM
    Downtime ETA: 90 minutes

Players can expect the following changes:
    Patch Notes
    • Fixed an issue causing weapons to be missing from the cert screen, preventing Engineer Turrets from being able to be upgraded
    • Fixed a bug with the PREVIEW button that prevented it from working with a few of the Sunderer Grills in the Depot
    SOE's priority is to *fix a bug that prevented the PREVIEW from working in the depot for Sunderer Grills in the Depot* not the ones that makes the game unplayable like i put a ticket in everyday for but the PREVIEW a ******* grill...was there ever a game update wholly dedicated to stomping out the performance issues?
    • Up x 1
  11. Bambasti

Confirm. Turning the HUD off increases fps by at least ten or so, what's quite a lot. It also makes the game smoother, that's more a subjective impression, but I it feels like movements are more fluid. No idea idea if this is because of the fps gain or if the HUD also holds back the game in some other ways.
  12. dreamcast87

Have you guys noticed as well that the ALT+F option that shows the FPS almost always shows the the CPU is generating the FPS. When I turn off the HUD it switches to the GPU.
    • Up x 1
  13. Roxputin

You lightweights don't know the fun you are missing. Do you really think I am going to let a little thing like the "HUD bug" stop me from getting my game on. I think not. I have been going strong in Planetside since 2003, this is no crutch.

Since I am very sensitive to fps fluctuations in my gaming, I was having fits from the 8.16 hot"fix" update borking my frames. I would log on, play until I could not take the stuttering/bad frames any more, then log off...usually took about 30 minutes for me to have enough.

Now I play with the HUD off. This is truly liberating. Especially since I can glide like a gazelle with my new found framerates. The only downside is that I tend to shoot a lot of friendlies since all players look the same with the HUD off.

Every once in a while I will get that "ploink" sound from another player sending me a /tell. I just turn the HUD back on so I can reply to their tell. It is normally some other friendly player that I shot and is telling me off in his best COD way. I normally respond the same way every time. I say I am sorry that I tkd you. It was not intentional., but I am forced to play the game without a HUD thus severely gimping my ability to tell friend from foe. SOE is to blame m8, not me. I just want to play so I do not burn through my membership and alpha squad boosts. My bad.
    • Up x 1
  14. jihon83

Forget just 10 or 15 FPS, disabling the HUD eliminated so truly awful frame rate dropping on my computer. I can normally run the game at 30-70 FPS, but was finding my FPS drop to 0. As soon as I disabled the HUD, the game ran at a constant speed. Though I have a question for everyone else who is seeing big results, like getting rid of the same horrendous frame rate spikes, are you running an SLI set-up?
    • Up x 1
  15. Hatamoto

Start optimizing the hud soe
    • Up x 1
  16. OldMaster80

I would say we found a huge room for improvements here. SOE should focus on this IMMEDIATELY.

No, one single HD7970 3gb.
  17. variablez

I am not running SLI, mine is a single nvdia gtx 690, I have 16 megs of ram, plus a decent processor i7 3770 professionally over clocked to 4.5. my computer is kept clean with up to date drivers, virus scanned, etc etc.

with HUD off I have constant framerate of 100, with HUD on it varies from 20 - 60 fps averaging around 40. which I find unplayable.

framerate was fine with HOD until the "hotfix" last week, which totally screwed it up.

It would be interesting to see if the SLI issue is related to the HUD also.

pretty annoying as i am losing my xp boost when not being able to play.
  18. teh_masterer

You do know the GTX 690 is a dual GPU card, right? Or do you play with SLI off?
  19. variablez

no I did not know this.
    I believed that SLI was where you had two separate graphics plugged in.
    I didn't know that they now incorporated SLI into one card. A bit of tech newb unfortunately.
    thanks for advising, will try turning it off when I get back.
  20. variablez

21. XRIST0

Your 690 has 2 gfx processors on one board , it is indeed linked and running as sli .

You can disable that through nv control panel or whatever , but its surely upsetting having to do so .