Good News from Smed is Good

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phrygen, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TeknoBug

1. optimizing PS2
    2. dumping alerts
    3. transfer tokens
  2. Tommyp2006

I wouldn't expect optimization anywhere near GU15. Just because they say they are focusing on it, doesn't mean they've made any real progress yet, it's not just a switch you flip, I would bet it takes them a good month or two before we see any real optimization updates.
  3. Vortok

The Everquest Next announce said it was using the same Forgelight engine as PS2. Combined that with them hoping for Planetside 2 to be in the PS4 launch window, if not there at launch, and suddenly Sony as a whole is throwing a lot more resources and manpower at optimization.
  4. Roxputin

John, it seems to me the community is a little jaded. Or maybe it is just the forums that are jaded.
  5. Badname3109

When you fix it people will come.
    • Up x 2
  6. Phrygen

well... yes and no. This forum will be more jaded than reddit that is for sure
  7. Hoki

Well not really, infiltrators going to wait an entire year for their update.

Basically PS2 devs need to completely scrap their previous time tables. They will not have a class update every other game update like they thought they would. More like 3 class updates and 2 vehicle updates a year if they get their **** together.
  8. Halon

9. jihon83

A focus on optimization is good, though. Especially if optimization means they'll also be casting an eye towards bug fixes over the next few "quality of life" updates. But I'll be happy if the FPS both increases and becomes more stable as it's no fun to be on that kind of roller coaster from 70-40-10 FPS.
  10. GSZenith

this :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  11. ironeddie

My fps is ok, appreciate it needs to be improved for those that it sucks for. That said I've been around since beta & if I don't get some new content soon I'll have to stop playing out of boredom.
  12. Bhudda V1

same here, cant wait for this game to be more multi threaded
    • Up x 1
  13. vincent-

So what gets pushed back now or lost to the wind? You really think that just because he says this doesn't mean their are consequences.
  14. VSDerp

smed needa hire some new or more people.
    • Up x 1
  15. ThreePi

Does this really even mean anything? The people working on engine optimization are not the people who design art, balance weapons, etc. I applaud his desire to make the game run better, but I'm looking forward to Hossin, continent locking, and the resource revamp.
    • Up x 1
  16. Erilis

You know that's true... And hell, we've got Hossin, isn't that enough to sate people's appetites for now?
  17. DrBobcat

BR79 w/ 620+ hours in PS2. Many hundreds of SC spent. I love this game, but it runs like ***. I can barely bring myself to play more than once a week, if that.

Specs for all the "you must have a **** PC then" folks:
    I7 2600K 3.4ghz @ 4.3ghz
    GTX 670 FTW OC
    8GB RAM

I turn off all unnecessary services (using Razer Gamebooster), have unparked all my cores, ensured that PS2's executable is using large address aware, lowered my CPU's resolution timer, and religiously update my drivers/BIOS. I also run the game entirely on low graphics and w/ 85% render quality (the "run on ultra for higher FPS" rule has only resulted in a more consistent framerate, not a higher one). In spite of all these attempts to improve performance, I still occasionally dip to 30fps in large facility battles (chiefly amp stations and biolabs). What's even more frustrating is that the game used to run better, even without any changes to my hardware. GU after GU, performance has slowly deteriorated. GU14 was particularly damning (even after the particle render issue was fixed).

I fully support this shift in priorities. The number one complaint I've heard from all my friends, regardless of whether they're still playing or not (many are not), is that the game is poorly optimized. Fix this and I am certain the game as a whole will improve. After all, what's the point of introducing new content if fewer and fewer people are able to experience said content?
  18. Ronin Oni

but the PROBLEM is with the mega-thread that handles the majority of processes....

so when they break that apart to work on the PS4's multi-core... guess what....

it'll work the same way for PC multi-core.

****, my hyper-threaded i3 is damn near as good as many i5's just because of this flaw. my second core easily handles all the other threads and i have near as much GHz on the one core for the mega thread.

def gonna need to upgrade to i5 3570k when they fix this (well, need to upgrade for all the new games anyways)
  19. eldarfalcongravtank

i for one am cool with performance remaining the same for the game. way better than performance worsening every released pach
  20. Cromell

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8 Ghz
    8 GB RAM DDR3
    GTX 560

Game runs at ULTRA setting (with shadows set to low) at rather stable 30 fps in big fights, 50+ in small fights, drops to 20 in huge clusterfcks when 50 tanks pound on that spawn door. It's not ideal for competitive gaming, I know, I'd much rather have 60+ for that, but most of the time, stable 30 is enough to run the game and not cry in frustration.

I don't use ANY software boosters.

I am looking forward to any and all optimization passes anyway.