Why is it over time this game is slowly turning into Planetside 1?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by evil713, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Bine

I find PS1's support mechanics/cert system/tank play better. But I prefer PS2's gunplay. If it werent for the gunplay and pop I would play PS1 a lot more. A LOT more. So the more PS2 gets to be like its original incarnation the better.
  2. TacosWLove

I just wish they would have listened from the get go to us and just did these early on in beta. I just hope they increase the TTK (like it should be), bring back cont locking, LLUs, the full lattice, and our other 5(6?)conts and we may finally have a true PS1 sequel here.
  3. Goretzu

It is exceedingly harsh to call PS1 a "failure", considering all the things against it at the time it did pretty well (and being in earlier online epoch you can't judge 2003 player numbers by 2013 or even 2007/8 standards).

The only thing that you might deem that was Core Combat where the Devs and the players seemed to disconnect about what was wanted and what was created (they were both wanting the same thing, but had vastly different ideas).
  4. ent|ty

Not harsh at all, it was reality.
    People played other games after checking out what PS1 had to offer at the time.

Thats why its probably not a good idea to be listening to folks who want PS1 back in PS2.
  5. Keiichi25

Okay guys... The simple statement of 'Because Planetside 1 was better' is not enough to explain the reason why.

The reasons Planetside 1 was better in majority of the respects is that the game was designed to cater to casual players as well as hardcore players.

Planetside 1 also did something that so far, no FPS game can top at the moment. A massive combat environment that incorporates vehicles and strategy, even though most of the strategies devolved into Zerging attacks.

While Battlefield 3 and its ilk is coming close to that, be honest... Those games, after a while frustrate the hell out of you, be it that you are one person who gets picked off right away and not able to do much or sitting around, trying to find something for a long time, then getting picked off again.

Planetside 1 offered long fights, and while that did not appeal to people who wanted constant action, it also presented other things to try and do in fights. And I will admit, there wasn't much resourcing going on in the later part of Planetside 1 where we would constantly throw vehicles, both ground and air, but when you LOOK at those battles, you also see infantry also duking it out, and vehicles weren't always the 'end all' in fighting, and the base captures didn't rely solely on vehicles orbiting and spamming the defenders... People had epic defenses as well as epic offensive fights that made for frustration and enjoyment.

When I look at Planetside 2... And it slowly going to Planetside 1... It allows people to have the fun we all have been asking for in Planetside 1, but also being true to the part that a lot of us want - A good fight.

Right now, some of the basic FPS mechanics is all about the 'instant gratification', but that is often times 'one-sided' and it will frustrate or annoy the heck out of a lot of us after a while. I mean, look at the Lockon complaints. Players complaining about how 'easy mode' it is to use them. Back in Planetside 1... There were only '4' lockon weapons... Only '1' was fire and forget, and that was the NC Sparrow MAX (AA MAX) and it only focused on AA. The VS Starfire was lockon, but required the user to maintain his lock throughout the flight of his rounds, same with the TR Striker Infantry weapon and the Wasp Anti-Air Fighter.

The NC had no 'shields' for their tanks, there were no smoke of flares for aircraft or tanks to deal with lockons. The TR Striker locked onto MAX armors as well as vehicles and air, but also could be dumbfired at targets, same with the phoenix. And the only other means to take out vehicles was not C4, but mines or Orbital strikes as infantry.

When you look also at this game compared to Planetside 1... We have more weapons, forced classifications, where Planetside you had guys in Agile armor (Light Assault level armor) bailing out of aircraft, using decimators or the empire specific rocket launcher and carrying around a MCG/Jackhammer/Lasher spamming people if not using the Rocklet or Thumper to do the same.

The fights in Planetside 1 lasted longer, even with Orbital Strikes taking out AMSes because we couldn't get people outside to take out an AMS... Defenses actually were FUN because it didn't matter how much zerging was done by the attacker, the defenders would fight until the base flipped and even then, hunkered down in places that the attackers needed to repair continue their offensive, because generators actually powered the entire base, not just one subsystem.

That is what a game like this where the constant complaining about the 'meta-game' arguments are about... This game originally started out as just pure attacking, and now we need proper defensive measures to make the fighting more meaningful. Simply 'zerging' from base to base where you steamroll it is stupid... A meaningful, long fight where the defenders can give you the finger and you still beat them is something that makes it worthwhile. And what more, when a base is fought over, you want people to be throwing bodies, NOT vehicles. Vehicle's place is the inbetween, but not the "Hurr hurr hurr, I sit here and spam with heavy fire at the spawn point." And just so you know... Planetside 1 infantry did a fair share of anti-vehicle mayhem then, as well as taking out the convenience of 'road killing' what we have with harassers, where people are getting mowed down in droves... In Planetside 1, we did have people running around with AMSes, which had no guns, but was heavily armored, running people over which required a mechanic to make it so people had to use weapons more than just running around with a vehicle to mow people down. This mechanic was reduction in speed to FORCE players not to abuse non-weapon vehicles as an instant XP farm on infantry.

Again... A lot of fun was the attempts to balance things within reason, and even with the BFRs that people hated as well as the Flail, there were a lot of things done in Planetside 1 that was reasonable.
  6. Erilis

Sounds interesting but I like how simple the resource system is now. Drives the focus more toward the battlefield and combat.
  7. Goretzu

70,000 players in 2003 wasn't bad.

It was in fact better than a lot of the MMORPGs around at the time.

In fact PS1 outperformed EvE for the first few years (EvE didn't break 70,000 players till 2006, 3 years after its release), the difference largely being EvE kept being developed year after year and PS1 was largely mothballed after Core Combat was a disaster.

Do you think EvE was a "failure" because it had less players than PS1 for the first few years? :confused:
  8. Keiichi25

And your evaluation of the situation is also flawed...

There were several other games out there as well that people played and left as well. Do you also consider them failures? Planetside 1 was still played by other people, even myself, sporadically, because it was fun to play that, even though trying more modern games, like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and the ilk. Most of which only catered to a certain kind of play and again, would only last as long as the interest was there, but that wanes from the NEXT game that comes out.

Some of the things done in Planetside 1 was actually worthwhile. While I don't agree with some of the things implemented, the Hex system was, oddly enough, something that was suggested in Planetside 1 to 'fill' inbetween the lattice system to make focusing on combat beyond just the bases. It wasn't just the 'basic' form that they took, they took suggestions and ideas mentioned in Planetside 1.

Some of the things that still need to be introduced is modular weapon systems. Given the fact that we have now different vehicle configurations, we lack the ability to re-tweak vehicles to suit needs at the time. We had something like that but only for the BFRs at the time, but for the normal fixed vehicles, people re-tweaked their vehicle ammo loads at times, such as Reavers with more rockets versus gun ammo if they were going to focus on ground strafing versus Air to Air combat.
  9. ent|ty

10. Goretzu

What are you comparing it to, to deem it a failure then? :confused:
  11. Tricycle

Wow, I clearly overvalued your input. It's not going to happen again.
  12. nubery

I love you for your statement. I despise you for your signature.
  13. nubery

PlanetSide has lasted over 10 years.

We're demanding the game we want to play. Not the game that people will play for a bit and quit. We're setting up for the long haul and not leaving when battlefield 4 or whatever is released. The mechanics in PlanetSide really gave it a sense of true metagame and teamwork. It created community and rivalries, outfites of friends that have lasted years and even till today. It's our home, many gamer's have a game like this.

Not really hating on 'big sellers', it's just most of them don't really have the longevity we're looking for.
  14. Cab00se187

Because SOE finally realized that Call of BattlefieldSide isn't working
    • Up x 1
  15. ExarRazor

because, shooting mechanics aside, planetside 1 is, not was, superior to planetside 2 in every way.

if they copied everything not shooting related from planetside 1 onto planetside 2, the game would be as close to perfect as a game is possible to be
  16. TheJosephChrist

There's not much I can add here other than being a voice in support of making PS2 more like PS1. Also, can you imagine how much people would scream"NERF!" on these forums if they actually introduced the cloaked AMS? lol.
  17. ent|ty

Neither will I yours. /ignored.
  18. Goretzu

That's the big difference in 10 years SOE what you still playing Planetside 2.

In 10 years they want you playing BF35/CoD35 (having bought all the ones inbetween).

To be quite honest the way things are going I think PS2 has a better chance of being around in 10 years than BF/CoD anything.
    • Up x 1