"Get rid of the zergs"..."No zergs"..."OMG ZERG"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KuramaBingyi, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tproter

Boom. There it is.
  2. MisterBond

I didn't say Reaver was bad, Or Vanguards suck

NC max's are underpowered as hell though, you're right about that one
  3. S1eB

This ^

TR on Miller are really bad for this. So many times have we been kicking their *** with even numbers and next thing you know the zergfits turn up with 10+ ESFs, as many tanks as they can muster and MAX spam as many MAXs as they can.
    Zerging just isn't fun for me, no matter which side of it I am on, whether it be the zerg or the zerged.
    I want battles where I have tio fight and so does the enemy. I don't want battles where it's either get steam rolled or do the steam rolling.

There is a huge zerging and farming mentality amongst most PS2 players and it's all they want to do. They are not interested in battles, they just want to farm and zerg all day long in easymode.
  4. EvilPhd

They didn't have the population to support entire continent massive scale, so they condensed it into a few forced points at all times.
    It's a massive fight, on a small concentrated scale.
  5. UberBonisseur

And overall, SPAM

PS2 is as much about the scale as the utter ridiculous frequency of enemies you have to deal with.
    It never stops. What many people call "flow" is a mind boggling swarm of infantry with no talent other than throwing bodies at you.
    There is no way to stop a zerg, because it respawns faster than you can kill it.

The blatant lack of pace is a concerning issue.
    It's all about pulling out as much **** as you can everytime you can.
  6. Shadowyc

I demand the right to crush leetle babehs with my 65% population lead. They should just learn how to fight against their superiors with less. Gawd.

Is...is the sarcasm working, or do I have to start going Elcor on everyone?
  7. DJPenguin

Sarcastically implying, if you were good you could fight against immensely superior numbers.
    • Up x 1
  8. Qoph

This logic works when every side has the ability to counter with equal numbers, but fails when they don't.

I've said before, in a real war nobody cares about playing fair or holding numbers even. But this is a game, and it's supposed to still be somewhat enjoyable for the losing side.

If your server population is only half of your opponents and they bring all of their forces at you at once, the only options are to try to cap empty bases elsewhere or log off. It just becomes 2 minutes of attackers travelling to the next base, followed by 4 minutes of spawncamping, repeated until the attackers get bored or reach the warpgate.
  9. CaligoIllioneus

I wrote it in the other thread about zergs, but I think this would help a lot and is pertinent to this thread:

"Zerg =/= overpop. This game shines best in Zerg vs Zerg battles, which is the core of Planetside. We shouldn't try to eliminate zergs from forming, we should try to give incentives to defeat them. Alerts should be one of those incentives that make us willing to face and stop the zerg, though right now it isn't working perfectly because of the 4th faction causing severe inbalance in populations.

I wouldn't alter XP gain at all, it's a horrible idea: what I propose is rewarding victories against forces of 48+ enemies.

What does this mean? That a zone attacked by a force of 48+ is specially flagged as containing a main enemy army, and defeating that force and stopping it from continuing to cut its path though your faction's territory gives you an XP bonus. This hopefully increases the appeal to withstand the zerg and repel it, mounting a good defense.

The details would have to be discussed (maybe it should be a threshold higher than 48, one should discuss the terms of victory, etc) but I think this would benefit the game positively"

What I mean is like smaller alert, for example "Massive Enemy Army detected at Crossroads Watchtower" after a certain number of enemies is detected in one of your zones. Fighting against it would give more XP and an even better reward if you manage to thwart their invasion.

Also yes, I'm also Waterson TR; but I have a VS alt that I play during some alerts due to the population issues.
  10. NC_agent00kevin

This is literally what they were saying this morning on an Amerish alert. TR population at each battle was in the mid to upper 80s, and some of them were actually seriously saying how bad NC sucks because we couldnt beat them.
  11. darkstarzx2

To the entirety of Planetside 2 I would just like to say one thing and one thing only: THIS ISN'T STARCRAFT.
  12. ent|ty

Where can I get a refund then, that's not the game I subbed to.
  13. K2k4

I love huge fights. Sure I'd prefer if all fights were fair and if it was 33/33/33 on all continents at all time, but we're given a choice of faction at the time our character is being made and once you chose when you first started, from the time you bought your first empire-specific gun you were locked into that faction. This is a fact.

I have fun playing on alternate characters sometimes, but I will never never leave my main toon. This is because I have put money toward it, bought camouflages and weapons, spent the most time with my outfit on it, and gained a sense of nationalism toward the faction I'm on, having spent good times and bad killing and being killed by the other two factions. Population imbalance cannot be 'Fixed' as it was built into the game. The only balance possible would be if the game had decided my faction at the time of character creation, and if they started doing that, it would be impossible to get new players.
  14. CaligoIllioneus

Search "Planetside 2" in google. The main website, which appears first, says "Massive Combat on an Epic Scale" right there in the title of the link. Clicking it gives us at least two times where "massive combat" is mentioned on the main page alone. That's not counting the marketing for the game such as "Size matters", etc.
  15. Silkensmooth

Welcome to the lattice. Before the lattice you could get away from the zerg and start some smaller scale stuff. Especially nice for those without top end gaming machines. Population is dropping like a led zeppelin. Sometimes its fun to go into giant battles where you get 20 fps, but mostly i prefer some fighting that requires skill like we used to be able to get.
    • Up x 1
  16. CaligoIllioneus

Fighting huge armies requires even more skill than fighting lesser groups. Your KDR may suffer more because there are more players thus more chances to be killed, thus some people (especially high BR players) sometimes seem to avoid those fights.

Also, smaller fights are still commonly found, at least I always find them in Waterson.

Lattice was the best thing that happened to planetside after the lolpod nerf.
  17. ProfessorHobbes

Finally, someone who gets it! Why everyone is disagreeing with this is beyond me. Do you know what one of the main advertising bits on the PS2 website is? Massive warfare. MASSIVE. Do you know what this word means? Impressively large or ponderous. THAT is what this game is about. I log in and find the biggest fight because you can't find that in any other FPS out there. The people who disagree with this are either just plain wrong, or upset they found out the game wasn't what they expected.

People would rather log into the game and find a nice even fight of 24v24 somewhere? While there is a fight with 150+ people? Are you high? I mean if your FPS is shot in big fights that's understandable, but even then you can't blame the zerg because your rig can't handle the game. That's your fault. And to the people getting steamrolled in a 48+vs12 fight, maybe deploy to another base? Join a fight that's evenly matched? Join a fight where you are winning? Or just take a break and come back later. I almost ALWAYS find a good evenly matched large fight, and when I don't, I take a break and try again later. People act like they are underpopulated ALL the time and can NEVER find any good fights.

Basically to those against this, find another game that suits your preferred play style if you don't like it. I would prefer you didn't dull down this game into a Battlefield clone thank you very much!
    • Up x 1