Harasser ramming is akin to an asteroid collision

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CaligoIllioneus, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CaligoIllioneus

I am sure this is a bug, I noticed that when the Harasser rams another vehicle, the unfortunate vehicle is hit with an absurd amount of force....for example right now (one or two minutes ago) I was driving a sundy with about 6 people inside, a friendly harasser hit us from behind and our sunderer did a barrel roll and exploded, killing everyone. Full ramming speed MBTs do nothing of the sort, and it's quite baffling that the small frame of the harasser makes it a missile on wheels.
    • Up x 9
  2. gigastar

I got blindsided by a Harasser in a Lightning once.

By the time i regained control i was 400m further from my waypoint than i was beforehand.
    • Up x 3
  3. Flying Mug

This handy and in no way hyperbolic chart shows the relative mass values in Planetside 2.

[IMG]
    • Up x 28
  4. Dvine

Well the game's physics engine was lifted from the original NES Mario Kart cartridge, so no real reason to be surprised really!
    • Up x 7
  5. WUNDER8AR

M. Higby quote on Physics:
    • Up x 1
  6. HellasVagabond

"IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE....RAMMING SPEED!"
    • Up x 1
  7. Makora

Tell me about it. I am all for ramming damage being tied to what rams what. If a harasser rams an MBT, the harasser should both come to a complete halt and take some damage. Even more so with a flash. As for lightning I can consider that to class about the same as an MBT. I believe it is a traction based issue in general.

I think MBT's lack traction overall. I can't say for mags but tracked tanks like Vanny or Prowly should not go into skate slides as easy as they do now. A tracked vehicle should be able to go up a hill like a boss and it should take more then a buggy to move it. I am not that sure about how the mag functions but lets call in "nanites" and say it works just like tracked vehicles.
    Though you might say it functions like one right now and at least the prowler (I have most experience with it) feels like it is the one using levitation or something.
    • Up x 2
  8. Valkyr

I have max composite armour certed on my harasser and can knock about 40% health off an enemy harasser with no armour certed if I ram it using afterburner, however if say a Sunderer decides to side swipe me i am totally screwed and often either blow up or end up loosing 80% health. I think the composite makes a big difference, however the one time i rammed a prowler it did nothing to him and stopped me dead (literally as he then fired 2 x AP in to me!).
    I'll do some testing tonight and see if anything has changed.
  9. MarioO

You know, you calculate kinetic energy by
    E=1/2*M*V²
    E=kinetic energy, M=Mass, V=Velocity

Since the Velocity is more important for kinetic energy, the fast, light Harraser can have more kinetic energy than the slow but fast MBT and thus give more kinetic energy to the Sunderer, resulting in a barrel roll.

But seriously, it's ridiculous!

I guess the developers just implied the formula (or something similar) and ignored other physic stuff...

Or
  10. GSZenith

did a test by ramming a friendly outfit harasser with a lib, yes a lib.

result
    lib flipped over from the impact onto its back into a tree and exploded.

harasser, moved 2-3meters.

:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  11. Simferion

Being rammed in my Vanguard by a harasser. My Vanguard was pushed for 20 meters... at least the harasser exploded :D
    But the impact was so confusing a LA C4ed me :(
  12. treeHamster

RAMMING SPEED CAPTAIN!

Seriously though, I use my Harasser for ramming Lightnings in the rear during tank fights. Grab composite, turbo, and a gunner, and you'll do a TON of damage to Lightnings simply by ramming them then have the gunner spam the MBT with AV weapons fire.
  13. Alexandrix

I once had a friendly harasser annihilate my full HP prowler.I was sitting on a hill with a group of about 3 or 4 other MBT's.Minding my own business,waiting to start the push on a base.All of a sudden a friendly harraser comes hauling balls down the field from my left,hits a small incline,gets a tiny bit of air,and T-bones my prowler in the side.He bounced a little to his left and kept on trucking.My prowler went into full on freak out mode and started tumbling around like it was in a tornado,eventually landing on it's top and exploding.

Full HP prowler,dead.From a friendly DUNE BUGGY.GG soe,GG.
  14. Neckaru

lol

I'm truly sorry to laugh at your plight, but imagining this scenario in my head makes me giggle. The mighty Prowler, so very huge, being absolutely manhandled by that little dune buggy you mention. Truly wonderful.
  15. Alexandrix

Feel free to have a good laugh.I did.well,after I got done being pissed that I'd just lost a fresh prowler+resources+timer to a dune buggy.

I'm sure it was hilarious to anyone who happened to be looking in that direction at the time.
  16. ChampagneDragon

I can't count how many times a friendly harasser has raced by pushing me way off course, while they continue on course.

The biggest insult is getting the "you've been firing on friendly forces" message when they do it.

The worst one was when a harasser went flying by at Crossroads pushing me into a spin. Just as I was starting to regain control another hit me, pushing me even further. By the time I was done I had been hit four times and had gone from near the ammo tower to down by the big rock/bend in the road near Broken Arch.
  17. GraphicJ

The flash is too microscopic to see... no surprise there. :p
  18. zu2

I often try to ram a harasser with my prowler since it seems to take a lot more damage head to head than the prowler does. I've killed several harassers this way.
  19. Kcalehc

A buggy ramming a tank is a 100% elastic collision now is it?
  20. MarioO

That's one of the "ignored other physic stuff" ;) And actually even with an elastic collosion the harraser would propably need to be much faster to throw over the Sunderer.
    Seriously, it's the case on quite a few games that don't really have physics, that the only important thing is their velocity, because such games don't calculate their physics with things like mass.