NC Infantry have no AV weapon that can engage fast moving targets at long range

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MykeMichail, Aug 11, 2013.

1. theholeyone

I don't really see an issue with the falcons apart from the convergence which is only for AI work anyway. As per their job description they aren't meant to be used for long range AV work. Ravens could use a buff to max guided distance, but that is hardly what this thread is about anyway.

As said before, NC have options too, annihilators, AV turrets, the strongest AP round in the game...
    You might get taken a little more seriously if you didn't try these obviously false exaggerations :rolleyes:
  2. llPendragon

I agree completely.
    Fractures, TAR, TMG-50, racer Prowler with anchor, Mercy, Hailstorm, Lynx, and Striker. F_ck yeah!!
  3. ThreePi

The Falcon is definitely trash. Convergence is completely unpredictable, the round is far too slow, the huge rocket trail makes it ridiculously easy to see and dodge. Its junk. Old Falcons were lightyears better.
  4. Delta102

This man understands the real problem, infantry should have no long range av. That role should belong solely to tanks and aircraft.
    • Up x 4
  5. Zenanii

What is the range on the striker?
    What is the range on the G2G lock-on launcher?
  6. Goretzu

AV turrets for engaging fast moving long range targets? :confused:
    • Up x 1
  7. lilleAllan

I alt TR and I lol at the TR players who say they have the worst infantry weapons.
    Around K/D 4 as infantry with stock weapons only - K/D 5 before my framerate started acting up.
    40 in the clip for carbines / AR? Insane.

On NC I use the Carnage BR since it has the same RoF as stock TR weapons, and that makes me warm and fuzzy.
  8. Shatters

The falcons have a velocity of about 40m/s. Hitting a target about 100m away will take the falcons 2,5 seconds, and then we also have to account for huge bullet-drop. Unless you are hugging a enemy tank, falcons are trash. (not to mention that you simply CANT kill infantry with it, unlike fractures)
  9. WTSherman

Everyone here is ignoring the "fast moving" part.

Yes, the Crow can engage stationary targets, MBTs, Sundies, Lightnings, and non-racer Flashes at up to 500m.

It cannot engage Harassers because its tracking AI doesn't know how to lead targets and its rockets can't turn fast enough to follow one. Outside of our SAWs, we are completely dependent on vehicle-mounted weapons (the Enforcer in particular) and luck to counter the damn thing.

Now, for the people saying long-range AT weapons shouldn't exist, there's a reason they do. In fact, the history of infantry AT weapons has been a race to engage at the longest possible range. Why? It may surprise you to learn that infantry can't trade punches with a tank. The only way to effectively engage them is to not let them hit back, and the best way to do that is to not be seen. And for infantry, range is one of the best forms of camouflage. Same reason we have tank mines. To be useful, anti-tank weapons have to do more than just let you punch through the armor. They have to let you engage in a way that is not suicide. If anything, the stocket launchers need better projectile speed to make them useful for something besides dropping off rooftops.

I understand griping about the render distance, because let's be honest, 300m is a terribly short render distance. IRL we qualify with iron sights out to 300m. If it were up to me, infantry would be visible (though you might need optics to find them) out to at least 800m, preferably as far as technologically possible. But apparently 300m is as much as the game can handle right now until it gets more optimization and/or SOE upgrades their servers.

Maybe as technology improves we will be able to nudge the render distance up. If we can get the render distance to 500m or more it would address many of the issues people have with lockons other than the usual "it killed me nerf pls".
    • Up x 2
  10. Luighseach

11. MykeMichail

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's figured this one out.

I've been in the back of a turbo harasser with level 3 racer and never managed to get a loading screen despite the harasser flying in the complete opposite direction at top speed.
  12. Keiichi25

It's not really a bubble of death, as it can only fire from a 'cone' where there is an opening to fire, limited also by 2 to 3 people for normal doors, about 5 to 6 for some of the larger spawn room openings. At the same time, the missile has a likely chance of exploding in your face as the shield sometimes prevents the missile from flying out, there is also that issue of idiots who run INFRONT of you. So that whole 'bubble of death' is more like just cones of fire and limited also by objects in front of said cones of fire which defeats that whole 'bubble' effect.

Also, 300m, tanks can move outside of it and still hammer targets from range.

Also, you CAN drive a sunderer or Tank close to an NC base, otherwise, how is it that TR and VS are able to take an NC base at all? Think about that for a moment. And don't try to say you air drop people to take out those phoenix users...
  13. MykeMichail

Its not even just harassers that Crows have trouble hitting. Its also MBT's and Lightnings. The Crow, like the VS and TR equivalents, simply doesn't have the turning speed to make high deflection shots. For TR and VS, this isn't an issue because they can simply switch over to Lancers or Strikers, or use Fractures or Vortex's.

NC MAX AV weapon is also severely lacking - the Falcons due to massive convergence issues, short TTL and very slow projectile speed, and the Ravens due to slow projectile speed and short TTL (they dissappear at around 350 m I think).
  14. Elaan

My biggest SC purchase regrets are Ravens and the left Falcon. So disappointing.
  15. asmodraxus

Lancer against a fast moving object at range, unless your a good shot that can lead the target and said target is going in a nice and predictable line and won't deviate from it, otherwise you have to be lucky...
  16. Loegi

Yeah, you'd have to exclude one of the best weapons. Don't want to make it look like NC might have a fair match up.
  17. Phazaar

How you keep perpetrating this nonsense when the Phoenix doesn't fly through spawn shields, and can't turn more than 90 degrees in its whole flight time, I have no idea... Compare that to the 500m lock, 800m range, fires through spawn shields, without incapacitating the user for the whole flight time, Striker... Yeah, you'll forgive us if we don't respect your 'death bubble' theory...
  18. Phazaar

*800m/s, making it the fastest projectile in game, last time I checked...
  19. oherror

we do use them and they are good. Just you dont see them very often on the zergs.
  20. BadAsElite

Hehe ty for the lol m8. :D