Scout Rifles need a buff.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ned, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Ned

You may be surprised to know that I quite like my scout rifle, and I like the role it is trying to fulfill, however as it stands the weapon is severely under-performing, with carbines, AR's, LMG's, and SMG's to compete with the rifle finds itself in a strange place, it is designed to be a marksman weapon for medium ranges however the weapon ends up being outperformed in everything it wants to do, at this point there is little point in using it when you have access to the SMG.

So my suggestion would be to buff the rifle, or perhaps "Tweak" it to be more effective at medium ranges, these are the changes I would propose, here are some points to make this easier.

What is a scout rifle?: A medium ranged automatic weapon for infiltrators, bridging a gap between sniper rifles and SMG's.

How does it function?: A clunky, recoil induced mess.

How should it function?: A medium ranged gun with a slow fire rate, good damage and little recoil

How should it be changed?
    Allow the use of an advanced foregrip
    Reduce the recoil, especially horizontal, to 0.1 or 0.15, and reduce the first shot multiplier slightly
    Increase magazine capacity from 24/216 to 30/210
    "Perhaps" a slight damage buff

So bear in mind these are just some ideas, I think the scout rifle should function more as a long range assault rifle esque gun, such as the Reaper DMR or Corvus, having a low fire rate but manageable recoil to compensate, I feel like that scout rifle should be able to equip the higher end scopes (4x, 3.4x) And still be able to be a marksman weapon for medium ranges, considering that infiltrators already have reduced shields, the scout rifle needs to be more viable in head on fights at longer ranges.

These are just some ideas I had, since the infiltrator update will be upon us soon-ish, I thought I would post these

Any thoughts or additions?
    • Up x 11
  2. gigastar

FYI the weapons hes talking about is the VS Artemis, the TR SOAS-20, and the NC Stalker.

If the RoF was reduced to 550 (same as the Ursa) then it would justify buffing the damage up one tier and not make them utterly useless (also like the Ursa).
    • Up x 1
  3. Morti

Bought it when it was on sale and I was an infiltrator junkie.

Immediately regretted buying it. Occasionally play with it and try to convince myself that it's not a bad weapon but it really is :(
    • Up x 1
  4. Ned

That would be fine, the numbers I came up with were rough estimates, I think the important thing is that the scout rifle trades a higher ROF for reduced recoil and increased accuracy, it doesn't need a fast ROF to be effective

I feel the same, I really like the idea of the gun and want it to be good so bad, because it fits my play-style perfectly, the gun just isn't good enough to compete on the battlefield, I'm hoping SOE will do something with the infiltrator update, otherwise its a big wasted opportunity
  5. TeknoBug

Been using the Artemis and Stalker since launch, upping the magazine size and overall accuracy was a good step, I don't have much trouble using them.
  6. Ned

It might be the placebo effect but I seem to have a lot more difficulty using the SOAS-20 than the Artemis, considering their stats are the same, It might be the VS 1x and 2x sights.

The scout rifles are still not competitive or effective however
  7. UberBonisseur

They are bad.

Would you use a weapon that performs poorly in CQC, and forces you to give your position away for longer than a single BAR shot at longer ranges ?

But then again, look at the other scout rifle (the semi-auto with 12 ammo). It goes from a 3-shot kill below 15 meters to a 4+, 5 against Nanoweave.
  8. gigastar

More likely its the lack of bullet drop, which gets the Artemis and Nyx a decent leg-up on thier counterparts as they really are the exact same weapons statistically speaking.
  9. Ned

Thats probably it,

any more thoughts on how we could improve scout rifles?
  10. UberBonisseur

Removing Nanoweave
    • Up x 3
  11. Mythicrose12

Tighter CoF would be nice on the full auto scouts. I'd find that change quite beneficial considering the clip size. Both versions of the scout rifle could use a velocity buff (or as mentioned high velocity ammo).
  12. Rabbitz

I currently use SOAS-20 and I admit it really ...bad.

Damage comparable with an SMG.
    Smaller magazine.
    Hip fire accuracy worst than SMG and aimed fire not better or a little better than SMG.
    Too low damage for sniping.

Maybe give it an ammunition upgrade will make this rifle more useful, but I think scout rifle class need to be revamp.
  13. gigastar

Keep on topic please. Take your anti-Nanoweave crusade back to your nerf thread where it belongs.
  14. Larolyn

I've been killed a few time by the VS version. The silencer actually works on their one. Still it's pathetic. You usually have time to look around, see where the shots are coming from, ADS, return fire and drop them. The TR one I have seen once and just mowed the guy down with an SMG.

I use the Stalker myself. Got it after Auraxiuming the Blitz, fancied something a bit different. Love hate relationship. I want to love it, but it sucks. And the silencer is actually a louderner. Its hilariously bad. The NS smg fills the role of medium full auto weapon better than the full auto scout does. Original idea was a full auto weapon for infiltrators would be too powerful so they made it suck. Then they gave em smgs. And the scout rifle still sucks.
  15. UberBonisseur

I'm sorry but when it takes 60% of my clip to kill a Nanoweave HA who also pops his shield, at this point I've entirely stopped engaging Heavies with my inf.

The whole point of Infiltrators is to kill the target BEFORE HE REACTS. The thing is, Nanoweave often gives that extra TTK that makes the reaction time kick in. The guy then pops his Overshield, and proceeds to run and dodge some bullets.

Not because I can't kill the guy, but if his friend notices me, I won't be able to fight back.
  16. gigastar

If he pops the overshield then use an EMP grenade, strips it instantly along with his regular shields.

After that its a 2-3 shot kill regardless isnt it?
  17. UberBonisseur

EMP grenades never fails to hit you aswell. Stopped using it.

For further comprehension:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  18. Cyrek

Also for the love of god change the sound the TR scout rifles make when silenced, the high pitched noise is louder and annoying than when silenced.
    • Up x 1
  19. gigastar

In the real world, a silenced sutomatic scout rifle is completely silent to anyone whos not the wielder.
  20. gigastar

Then stop using a scout rifle like a shotgun if thats an issue. Then learn what a throwing arc is.

Failing that, theres always knifing.