Should the Mass drivers be A2G

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ABATTLEDONKEY, Aug 10, 2013.

1. UberBonisseur

We just stopped whining about it.

Still a design mistake. Either too strong to be balanced, or too weak to be efficient.
    Universally better than nose guns in their Anti tank and Anti infantry categories
    • Up x 1
  2. McToast

Moin

I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed by the state the "ESF-update" is currently in. We used to have 2 weapon options for our ESF secondary, and now we're getting 3 new options at the same time. It will be a hell to balance.

I just would have split the rocketpods into two different weapons (I think OP suggested something like that). The current rockedpods would transform into AV rocketpods, further reducing the splash effect and cutting the clipsize a bit, but increasing direct damage. AV rocketpods should deliver their damage fast but not be able to oneclip a tank. A new addition would be AI rocketpods with increased splashdamage (splashradius shouldn't be too big though) and a bigger clip than AV pods for slightly longer sustained fire. These wouldn't do serious damage to vehicles, like needing 2 full clips into a tanks rear to kill it.

But whatever, I'm curious about the new ESF changes.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
    • Up x 1
  3. MarioO

This one was suggested multiple times by people (I never get bored of cite it, though):

Change the flight characteristics of ESF depending on their equipment.
    -ESFs that use rocket pods have be slower than ESFs without. Also make ESFs with rocket pods (or any anti ground weapon) less agile, meaning they should have it harder to turn around and most important: they shouldn't be able to hover.
    -ESFs that don't use rocket pods but more anti air equipment need to be even faster than now and much more agile compared to anti ground ESFs. Because these ESFs would be harder to hit with G2A weapons their own weapons need to be weaker against ground units, to avoid abuse of their agility.

With these simple changes an ESF using anti ground equipment would be more like a bomber, unable to spam their weaponry because they have to turn around and start a second attack, and ESFs equiped against enemy air units would be more like real air superiority fighters, being able to outmanouver most enemy air units.
    • Up x 1
  4. G3arfried

idk if im evil but i like to shoot single bullets into tanks to annoy them with the sound then **** them in the back with lolpods.
  5. ABATTLEDONKEY

:D this was exactly what the OP suggested. Only difference was that OP suggested that the rockets be AI and the mass drivers be AV
  6. Vortok

I expect there to be plenty of whine threads when the Mass Drivers go live, regardless of what their resist value against ground vehicles is. They should be less useful against infantry than pods, so infantry will be happier - aside from the 'nerf anything that killed me at least once that wasn't another infantry of the same class and using the same weapon type as me' crowd. Amusingly, the high velocity compared to pods will make a Mass Driver equipped ESF much more capable of killing Harassers in a reasonable period of time when swapping between them and the nose gun.
  7. llPendragon

I agree that the rocket pods should be area-denial. Their accuracy against AV targets is way too good.
    Try to keep the dam rocketpods from being more accurate than AA guns meant to fight them.

As for the Mass Drivers, when the hell did Gauss technology stop being a NC thing?!? Stop screwing over the blue guys by giving them the common pool shotguns as a faction trait, but giving their empire specific Gauss guns as common pool!!!
  8. Luighseach

Yet if you take the OPs suggestion you would then make ESFs into the ultimate multi-role and Liberators would be useless.
  9. OddChelsea

No they cant. Obviously you were just testing them in VR and not really paying attention (it even says it has to reload after every shot and it cant have increased mag size outside of VR), the extended magazine size is a VR bug. It will only be 2 shots with the option of increased reload speed, overall ammunition capacity and your optics.
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

as much as i would love to strafe groups of infantry in my Scythe with the new Locust Miniguns (just like an old P51 Mustang from ww2), the new ESF weapons should stay a2a! otherwise, the ESFs will get better and better, while liberators get phased out gradually
  11. NinjaTurtle

As long as Ground can do damage against Air it is only acceptable that Air can damage ground.

Having 1 way damage is a terrible idea and goes against the combined arms idea the game is designed around.

Pull AA if you are having issues
  12. ABATTLEDONKEY

I think that you may have mis-read, or actually failed to read the OP lol.

simple version: in the OP, the rocket pods (you know the A2G weapons that can do anything ATM) would be split up. The pods would be AI, and the mass drivers would be AV instead of the pods simply being both. this change would LIMIT the ESF's ability to engage ground targets, and would be subject to the load out it currently undertakes. ATM ESF's control the libs spot because all AA are designed around targets like the lib, and the ESF can engage both ground, and Air targets, while maintaining a high degree of agility and speed, with a tiny profile. OP would make it more difficult for ESF's to engage ground targets, and yes, I also think, and have said many may times, that the liberator needs a major overhaul.
  13. Luighseach

Yes but currently Rocketpods require the Aircraft to be realitively close when compared to libs. If you gave ESFs a long range Anti-ground like a Dalton then you would end up causing the ESF to be a better multi-role fighter because you could fly around and snipe armor Like a lib.

Also if you made the pods only anti-infantry(which would be great) then they would most likely get a splash buff or something because they would lose half there role also making Liberators less effective because 2 ESFs would be doing the same job as 2/3 liberator.

I did read the OP and I still think if you made Mass Drivers Anti-tank and Pods anti-infantry it could cause libs to lose one of there last remaining niches which is killing armor form range.

So next time you post something complaining about peoples comprehension skills, please be mindful that some people actually do know what they are talking about.