How does Max vs. Max Melee work?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by DashRendar, Aug 9, 2013.

1. DashRendar

On the Max loadout screen it says the Max Punch does 750 unadjusted damage, but enemy Maxes must have some sort of damage resist to this because that doesn't make sense. It takes 8 punches to kill a Max in VR, and Maxes have 2000 HP with varying resistances to different damage sources. Does small arms resistance affect the punch effectiveness? If true, this would make Kinetic armor more resistant to melee from all sources in theory.

Doing the quick math we get 2000/8 = 250, so each punch would do 250HP worth of damage to the Max, or at least that much, could be more. Does anybody have any exact details on this? Particularly whether or not armor affects the damage done?
    • Up x 1
  2. Van Dax

well I know max punches can damage tanks so they must have their own special resist value.
    • Up x 2
  3. skull4squadron

i didn't know max melee actually damages tanks :oops:
  4. A 59 c

Wow I did not know MAX melee damaged tanks either. I was rather sceptical of this at first but after having done some testing in VR, it is actually true! I tested tanks and other vehicles. MAX melee damage is pretty weak and the vehicle hit spot can be very difficult to find but here's what I determined:

Vehicle (hits to destroy) hit spot description

Prowler (42 hits) jump up and crouch on tank main body in front of turret, hit black recess on the front of the turret just under the secondary gun

Magrider (42 hits) jump up and stand on tank main body to the side of the turret, hit turret window in centre.

Vanguard: (no hit spot found) Wondering if this is bug. As far as I can tell, the Vanguard cannot be melee damaged. If someone finds the hit spot please post a description of how we can hit it

Lightning (37 hits) stand on ground, at side of tank just in front of NS logo. Hit just below the NS logo.

Sundy (32 hits) stand on ground, at side of sundy. Hit where the SAM console would deploy.

Galaxy (no hit spot found) I think @Wrel might have mentioned Galaxy hit spots in one of his excellent videos but again if anyone knows where this hit spot is please post

Flash (3 hits) Yes very easily destroyed, 3 swipes anywhere on vehicle (no surprises there)

Harraser (18 hits) stand on ground, between the wheels. Hit side of vehicle.

Reaver/Mossie (10 hits) stand on ground, behind wing. Hit where wing meets aircraft body.
    Scythe (10) stand on ground around the back. Hit the exhaust area.

Lib (17 hits) stand on ground, behind wing. Hit where wing meets aircraft body.

Needless to say, if you attempt to squat on top of an enemy MBT and start swiping at it - in the middle of a zerg-fest - you are going to get killed pretty darn quickly - once the driver stops laughing at you, that is. But we do see empty vehicles dotted around and it is nice to know an AI MAX will not be powerless here. Hope this helps

TLDR, MAX melee damages all vehicles except the Vanguard and the Galaxy (as far as I can tell)
    • Up x 1
  5. Shiaari

MAX melee? It goes something like this:

• Up x 1
  6. PieBringer

My comments in blue. I tested this a while ago myself, and found roughly the same exact spots.

Edit: In any case, I'm not sure what the exact resistance is for MAX units versus MAX Punch, but it certainly does more damage than a melee attack from any other infantry.
    • Up x 1
  7. A 59 c

Thanks for the info on the Vanguard PieBringer, you were right, I found:

Vanguard (50 hits) stand on tank body in front of turret, turret must be turned to right or rear (not left) so that area behind faux exit hatch is exposed. Hit where centre of turret meets tank body
  8. Adept

Max vs Max...
    I've gone into VR and it took me 20-22 hits to kill a default dummy max.
    All hits landed on it's head - no idea if there is any meaning as I've suicided right after the 1 time experiment.

Swing time of max punch is roughly 0.5 sec (damage inflicted at the end of the animation unlike knifing that damages prior animation) and it takes about 1-1.25 sec to prepare your next swing.
    This means that it would take about 30 seconds to kill another max with your fist.

In it's current form.. you don't want to try this.