[Suggestion] Does anyone else think the semi-auto rifles could use a buff?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Rigsta, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Rigsta

That's it, that's what I've been getting at.

We know this already :p

The problem is that if you fire even a split-second before the CoF has completely reset, the bloom kicks in and you miss. And the problem with waiting that long is that the target will move.

If you fire at the maximum RoF - which you need to when you're close enough for people to accurately return fire - the bloom is so large that you can miss from 20m while aiming down sights/scope.

Faced with these downsides, why even bother? The semis' effective rate of fire is so low you might as well bring a bolt action and go for a bigger initial hit or one-shot-kill at medium to long range, a scout rifle at low-mid range and an SMG for anything below 25m.

Heck recently I've started using the Ghost with 2x optics again with the Commissioner as backup. Speaking of the Commissioner: 450 damage per shot.

The only time I've truly found the Spectre to shine compared to the other options available is on Biolab landing pads to plink away at camping defenders.
    • Up x 1
  2. Reverse Mortgage

Yes, exactly this. I'm not sure what the misunderstanding here is about why CoF problems is why sniper rifles have sway at all. Even an exceedingly tiny amount of deviation in the angle of your shot becomes meters wide misses at sniper ranges.

[edit] I think there may be a slight misconception of what CoF really is.

Recoil is an accuracy control.
    Sway is an accuracy control.
    CoF is an effective range control. It happens to exist on a sniper rifle. Which has the other 2 accuracy controls already.
    Damage Degredation is a range control. I'm not sure if i would classify bullet drop as a range or accuracy control. Probably accuracy, considering it can always be compensated for.
  3. Mrasap

Without going into mathematical details, I just wanted to share my experience with the Nyx. I made a topic about the Nyx before I bought it whether the gun was worth the SC and the unanimous answer was no. I did it anyway and I am happy I did.

The gun shines in open battles where an infiltrator can go from terrain to terrain to flank the enemy. The Nyx is almost silent with the silencer, which makes you feel like a true infiltrator.The synergy with maxed recon dart is incredible to control the environment. The bullet velocity is very low and it's DPS is lacking in CQC, therefore maintaining proper range is crucial. In the range between SMG and BASR it is an absolute killer: 2 headshot kills are incredible.

However, in a one-on-one standoff against any LMG / AR / Carbine, I have learned you can better find cover then to go head on. Even in the optimal range. Which kind of figures. It offers a unique playstyle but it could use some tweaks.
  4. RockPlanetSide2

What I want is more bullet-velocity, but that is never going to happen, so what really does need to happen is... the 6 Semi-Auto-Sniper rifles really need is to have far less horrific effects come from using a Suppressor. The Suppressor reduces the effectiveness of the guns by at least 50% if not more. You are suddenly forced to fight at carbine range when you use these, its just really bad game design on SOE's part.

I can understand why you don't want invisible players getting OHK head-shots at maximum range with Suppressors with Bolt-Action Rifles, that would ruin the game, but the Semi-Auto-Sniper Rifles are medium range weapons, they should not suffer so badly from increased bullet-drop.
  5. TeknoBug

The bullet velocity is the reason why it's difficult to shoot at Harassers with, but other than that the semi scout is actually pretty decent and does better than battle rifles does due to higher damage per bullet. It's definitely not a close range gun, I picked up the Desperado on my NC for that reason (already had the Rebel & Commissioner but Desperado seems to fit the self-defense role).
  6. Gheeta

Yet it still suffers from the same curse as the other semi auto rifles. COF penalty while moving and with follow up shots is way to high, standing still is pretty much never a viable option.
  7. K2k4

Terrible I didn't read past your title..

Yes. I think they need one of the following buffs:
    Higher velocity for bought version equal to the velocity of the sr7
    Damage enough to 2 hit kill up to 100 meters out on body shot
    Choice of high velocity or soft point ammo.
    A cone of fire like a carbine for hip firing.

Any more than one of these buffs is too much. For the 2hk option I think the bolt actions would need a buff to male up for the difference in affect.
  8. Tnsr

I love to use the Impetus as my main Infiltrator weapon. I talked about the flaws of the weapon design and how SOE fails some months ago, yet nothing changes. I don't use it because it such a great weapon, I use it to have a challenge.
    There is a problem with the semi automatics, sniper or scout: they should fill a niche, but they are both two weak in their roles against the full automatic counterparts. Semi automatics should be wepaons for marksmen, for players who have good aiming and know that every missed shot probably means they gonna get killed by the spray automatic (unless you are shooting from medium-far ranges). I tested the semi auto scout rifle now several times and compared it to the Impetus and they are both more frustrating than fun.

The scout semi is too weak to stand a chance against full autos. Even if you hit every shot most times the auto rifle is faster killing you. Unacceptable, especially if you know that every missed shot is a real pain in the *** if you use a semi auto.
    The Impetus instead has a real punch damage output, unfortunately it is absurd what CoF and bloom it has. Even in short ranges with ADS you can miss shots. Also an unaccapteable state.
    You can also look at it the other way round: is there a benefit from the semis over the autos? The only one there should be is the range you can attack targets, but because of the velocity they are not necessarily better than an automatic rifle.

All in all the only semi that would be usefull would be one with the damage output of the semi auto snipers together with the ADS and HIP stats of the scout semi. That would make a worth semi auto rifle.
    I agree with the velocity buff. If you give as un unrewarding und unforgiving gun, give us at least the oppurtunity to aim spot on even on longer distances.
  9. Nikushimi

Nyx is not a sniper rifle, it is a scout rifle.

Overall i think scouts do need a buff (maybe better hipfire accuracy) As it stands there is no real reason to use one over the auto snipers.

As for auto snipers no i dont think they are in need of a buff. Considering their ease of use compared to BASR's, they are fine.