Infi CQC troubles.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Shinniok, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Shinniok

Hi there :) . I'm BR 30 and i have allways played with heavy assault. It just goes with my playstyle ;D.
    Some days ago i decided to try another class. I had played with LA before, but didnt like it... I tried medic, it was not that bad, but still not as thrilling as HA seems to me. Then i tried infi, ( im Vanu, btw ) i bought the 100 certs sniper rifle, it was kind of fun to make some headshots, but it got old quickly, camping kind of bores me. And then i decided to try CQC infi. I really liked the gameplay, u know, sneaking behind enemies and then destroying them with the SMG, or blow ppl up with some mines ;D . I dont have any SMG yet xD, im saving certs to get one, but im practicing the sneaking using the pistol with supressor and my knife xD.

NOW: I REALLY want to play with this CQC infi, but im having some issues, related to the fact that im used to play as a HA, i guess. Im finding hard to NOT get killed while cloaked... i know im doing things the wrong way, i assume that i cant recognize where and when i should cloak and how i should move through the map. But it's a little furstrating right now xD, i'll tell how it goes, usually : - I respawn, i try to find some nice location behind enemy lines
    - I cloak, and start running, TRYING ( thats the key word ) to avoid all contact before i get where i want to.
    - Pretty much 85 % of the time, i just step on some enemy around a corner or something, and get DESTROYED. They can see me while cloaked, which is normal.And if i manage to get behind someone, y decloak, i kill him, but RIGHT AFTER THAT, someone else shows up and kills me -.- .

I just cant find the way to approach carefully... how do u proceed? how do u move? I know im doing things the wrong way... should i be more patient? I think i should be able to ambush ppl while they are all by themselves, but it's hard to find a victim in, for example, an amp station.... there's allways ppl running around, i ALLWAYS step on someone -.- , or get instantly killed by another guy who just showed up after i killed someone :S

Any tips ? I love my HA, but i want to love CQC infi too, i really like the kind-of-TF2spy gameplay.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. redsevenski

Personally I try and use the recon darts (maxed out but expensive to invest in) to try and avoid these situations. You will always struggle as an infil against multiple enemies at once if they are half decent and especially if they are talking to each other. The dart allows you to be more selective about when to attack. As a result I try and hack infantry terminals first to be able to resupply.

Mostly though its about practice (and i'm not the best at it) and trying to learn the maps so you can avoid the common thoroughfares or make the most of them.
  3. Jostis

Why you get destroyed is that you think it is "kind-of-TF2spy gameplay". The cloak in PS2 is not nearly as invisible as it is in TF2 and this changes everything. You have to be more careful and circle around a bit more than you're used to atm. Also, having a SMG is a must imho.
  4. Astraka

Along with what redsevenski said it is important to realize that your cloak is not invisible, and trying to sneak past enemies in close quarters is more likely to get you killed than not. It is more useful as a device to get you close to enemies where your SMG is effective, but once you're there it starts to taper off in effectiveness. Don't try to use it as a means to run past enemies. Use it as a means to surprise them and fire first. If you're decent at shooting chances are good you'll take them out.

Watch TwF & ItZmUrDa on Twitch to get a feel for a very effective play style for the CQC Infiltrator. If you're more into youtube I'd suggest TheShockington & Klorinator.

The class is less about sneaking & invisibility and more about flanking, ambushes, and skirmishing. Try to play it like the four above and I promise you'll do well.
  5. Tnsr

Depends on the situation.
    If it is a small battle, let's say 5on5 on some outpost, sneaking around and killing people works just fine because together with the recon darts you can have a good overview where the enemies are and how to attack them.
    If you attend a big battle the situation changes. Not even the darts can help you to stay in control and have an overview of everyone's movement around you. This is where "skill" becomes less important than just pure luck. One time you catch someone from behind and kill him, next time someone catches you from behind. There is only few things you can do against the luck factor and unpredictability of big battles. Experience is important for that and it only comes with playing on and on.
  6. Plague Rat

Situational awareness is very important to an infiltrator, but we have a great tool for that. Recon darts. Basically your optimal combat strategy is ambushing your opponents, so knowing what you're walking into is vital. Shoot your recon darts ahead of you and move into their area of effect. This will help you know what areas to avoid and identify targets of opportunity. As an added bonus you help out your teammates in the area and get some XP when they kill things pinged by your darts.

Be conservative with your cloak. Your recon darts will help you identify areas where your cloak might not be all that necessary. You'll put out less noise and be harder to track. One of the dead giveaways of a novice infi is frivolous cloak use. When you do use it, use it for a decent duration. Don't flick it on and off too often. Also know it's limits. It'll lower your profile for certain, but the closer you are to the center of an enemies screen or the faster you're moving with it on, the easier you are to spot.

Pay attention to the flow of combat. The bulk of players move in a pretty straightforward fashion from their spawn to their objective. You want to avoid such traffic areas, but also pay attention to them so you know what direction the masses are looking in. You never want to be directly in that path, ensuring that if you're in their field of view, you're at the edges on their screen. In general, keep your distances from other players, even allies if you can help it, until it's time to strike. My general rule is that unless I'm indoors I try to keep at least a 20m buffer between me and anything else while I'm on the move.

Know your limits. If you're only using a pistol for now (which I applaud you for trying, that's how most of infi CQC used to work before SMGs hit) you'll probably have trouble ambushing more than 1-2 targets before things get hairy. But also:
    You're going to die. Understand this and accept it. The infiltrator class designed as it is, is always disadvantaged in a straight up firefight, and not every encounter is going to be on your terms, but with death's come experience and you'll pick up on what works and what gets you an express ticket to the spawn room. But don't get discouraged! In the end you'll get more out of the natural growth that comes with trial and error than trying to apply any tactics we suggest here.

Finally, and obviously, get an SMG when you can afford one. You're pistol practice now will be invaluable if you decide you want to invest in Stalker cloak when that drops (no primary weapon allowed with that one) but an SMG will just make your life a lot better. But more importantly, get the one that suits your play style. The community will always have opinions as to which one is 'best' but as an individual you have your own predilections. In my case the community 'bests' are often garbage in my hands, and I have about a half-dozen guns unlocked I don't use as a result.
    • Up x 1
  7. TeknoBug

As a CQC infil, never go head to head with another, always get the jump on them first. It takes practice staying out of enemy's sight until the time is right or you're close enough, that's the mistake I see most infils make by running around in the open thinking they're not going to get seen. I hang around objects and terrain as often as I can since you're harder to spot while cloaked and I decloak and shoot immediately with no delay, if you decloak and wait too long they'll know you're there (if they're experienced enough). Nnanoweave 5 is a must have as well, I don't care what anyone says.

That's the one thing you're going to have to adjust coming from playing HA (the king of one on one fighter), completely different playstyle.
  8. Get2dachoppa

You are trying this with only a pistol and knife? Ouch. Please tell me you aren't using the Beamer?

As already mentioned, use your recon darts. This will help you to determine where the enemy is so you can flank them. Make use of cover as best you can on your approach. Sometimes you have to play as if you aren't cloaked at all since you never know for sure how visible you really appear to an enemy (I've spotted cloaked infiltrators over 40m away, depending on lighting and terrain). Be aware that with the radar changes, even if you are cloaked you will still appear on enemy radar while moving. And one enemy Infiltrator that knows to use their own recon darts can spoil your day too.

I prefer the Commissioner for pistol/knife combos. It's downside is it doesn't have a suppresser, but usually 2 quick shots (or one headshot) + knife will kill people then I'm cloaked and on the move again. Otherwise try the Manticore (I think its half the cost?) if you want to keep the suppresser. Haven't tried the Cerberus or Underboss so can't comment on those.

For an SMG, most people will recommend the Sirius. I have auraxium with mine using 2x scope, adv. laser sight, suppresser and soft point ammo.
  9. TeknoBug

Heh I dunno, I do pretty well the Beamer, I guess everytime I get a kill with the Beamer I hear the infamous "HUMILIATION!".
    • Up x 1
  10. Shinniok

The beamer is not really that bad combined with the knife. With the supressor and the adv. laser sight i do well with it xD. If i can get behind and enemy, they are probbably dead. The beamer is not my biggest concern... problem is GETTING there without getting killed x3.
    Im very thankfull for all the advice, guys ;D , i'll try harder. I can see that this is a really hard class to master 0.0 , if not the hardest one ! ( if u go CQC ) . When i get home i'll see those videos from pro cqc infi and see if i can learn a thing or two.
  11. Granderil

You can use sounds for your advantage. If something explodes, it's ideal time for cloack/decloack.
  12. Scumdog6

Don't always shoot at the first guy you see. Dart everything, get both mines.
    Perhaps the biggest thing is placement. Don't be in the way. If the enemy has to take a certain route to get to the battle, and you are there, they will see through your cloak no prob. Hang out where you would have no business being as a different class.