Can we please have a rangefinder for an attachment?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Heyitsrobbie1984, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Vaphell

What? There was a range finder in beta on a hotkey, similar to how ALT+F shows framerate (maybe it was shown with the same key combo?). I didn't participate in beta but i think it showed the distance to the spot in the crosshair in real time.
    Either way calculating range is relatively easy in 3d engines. Casting rays and calculating where they cross the geometry is half their job and that's exactly what's needed to estimate distance between 2 points - plug the coordinates into the pythagoras' theorem and you are golden.
    • Up x 1
  2. K2k4

I didn't play beta.. in fact my whole response was hearsay evidence. I retract my statement, clearly I didn't know that it was both possible and at one time up for implementation. That being said, I want it in the game, whether or not it actually helps gameplay, it would be useful.
  3. Messaiga

I'm all for a range finder as an attachment, or an implant. I suggested a range finder on the Lancer just a few days ago, so that people can lead targets easier at very long ranges (300 + meters).
  4. Scudmungus

'Logically' there's no reason not for one.

Tho logically, there's no reason why the Infiltrator has to shout out targets.

Mobile communication technology my friend!

Game play wise, it would make things easier.

I don't mind using the pips on the scope and enjoy knowing the many snipers find it difficult - means it's harder for them to snipe the team!

I do like how it's something you can improve with time.

Still, it would make sniping a long ranged running target much easier.

Tho, when you get used to the pips, you find you can hit them relatively reliably.

Granted, running head shot at long/extreme range still feel like luck!

I guess it comes down to:

Do we want sniping easier - for ourselves and our enemies, or do we want it easier.

As it stands, I feel hitting those long-extreme ranged shots to be very rewarding and go for them the most.

Making it easier? Well, I'd find a different skill mark, perhaps chains of hits..

..still, as it stands, we do have a (seemingly) good way of separating good from really good sniping shots!
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

The rangefinder really doesn't take much skill out of sniping, it just spares a few wayward shots derived from guestimation. You get a feel for distance relatively soon, but most people end up slightly misjudging distance between alternating distances from close to far. Basically, it's normally a problem when you've been short range sniping and switch to long distance...which causes a waste of a few shots.

So, I don't see a rangefinder as much of a buff...and more along the lines of something that should have been incorporated into the rifles from the start. This might be my personal bias based off years of Delta Force: Land Warrior sniping...their scopes came with a rangefinder and could zoom between a minimal and maximum magnification setting. Our scopes are, ironically, very primitive in comparison.
    • Up x 1
  6. Scudmungus

It's not being much of a buff but it's still a buff.

Not taking out much skill = taking out some skill.

It's the difference between the number of way ward shots that helps determine skill.

I have no objection to things being made easier - from a class design point of view, it might encourage more players to play sniping Infiltrators.

It comes down to finding that sweet spot of effort/reward. As it stands, I'll miss a fair few long/extreme distance shots. When I do get a hit it's a great feeling. If they made it easier, I'll adapt. Would it feel as good? Probably.

However, I do enjoy knowing that it's tricky to simply pick up a sniper rifle and start hitting things from long to extreme range.

As you say, perhaps it should have been introduced at the start. I personally wan to believe they intended to make long/extreme range sniping harder. I believe it reduces the amount of long/extreme range deaths, which reduces the amount of frustration towards the class.

As it stands, it wasn't introduced at the start so I'm probably just wary of the changes its introduction might bring.
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

Hmm...

To my understanding, the majority of Infiltrators feel that Sniping is pretty good where it is...but wouldn't mind a few tweaks geared towards minute buffs. A rangefinder would be one of those things that most feel should have been incorporated from the start. I, personally, like the idea of adding a variable magnification setting upon all the scopes due to my experience in Delta Force: Land Warrior. I have proposed customizable scopes throughout various threads simply because I find it odd that such an older game based upon modern technology was more advanced than a futuristic game set in the future. A rangefinder and slight magnification variable between minimum and maximum zoom settings of each scope seems like they should have been incorporated by default.

These, however, are all just minor tweaks that aren't so much needed as appreciated. The Nanoweave problem is something that needs to be addressed, but it's the only needed buff to sniping. Everything else are just minor tweaks that I feel most would appriciate, and pretty much should have been a given from the start.

On the lesser needed end of the spectrum, the ability to certify into greater time periods of scope stabilization would be nice. As it stands, if your target moves you blow your cooldown and have to wait even longer. In a play style that's geared towards patience and carefully choosing your targets...a simple two steps in the wrong direction can mean you have to wait even longer to get that kill.

Even without that, however, sniping is still pretty damn good for those who get it down and settle into the awkwardly primitive mechanics, in comparison to other games. So, these aren't so much needed as nice to have...and with most having such frustration when initially trying out the class, I believe that few would have much to say about Infiltrators getting a rangefinder and potentially customizable scopes with a minimal and maximum zoom range you could alternate between.

We would, however, get some flack if we got an increase to scope stabilization through a certification tree...but again, this is a feature that most are extremely frustrated with when trying out the class for themselves. Everyone knows we have the lungs of a smoker and seem constantly drunk, so a certification line that extends the duration we can hold our breath MIGHT be alright...but it's likely that they'll have to be careful about just how much boon each tier grants.

As you said, wouldn't want to make it too easy. That's why I place that in the least needed field of what Sniping needs, and I wasn't always under that impression. Everything above that, however, are minor tweaks that I think would be completely justified in adding.
  8. Father McFeely

For what it's worth, I spent a number of hours in VR mapping out the distances to target(s) in relation to the minimap (at default zoom).

I took one of my wife's cell phone screen protectors and made little hash marks in a circular pattern at 100m and 200m.
    I'm not on my home PC, so the distances are approximate, but here's what I have come up with for my sefup (RAMS w/ 10x Scope):

On my 24" monitor, roughly 1/2" from you (on the minimap) is about 100m.
    1" is about 200m.
    I believe the distance from (0,0) to any edge (+/-x,0) or (0, +/-y) is 250m. The corners of the minimap go out to about 300m.

How this affects the shot for my RAMS (650 m/s muzzle velocity):
    Targets 0-200m - Aim dead center.
    Targets 200m-250m - Halfway between center and first dot down
    Targets 250m-300m - Directly on the first dot down from center.

Currently I'm working on deriving how much muzzle velocity affects bullet drop, but I haven't had the time to see if someone else did the work or if I need to break out my pencil and graph paper.

Also a point of note: Zooming in the minimap with '[' or ']' changes the distances by 50m.

Another note: A fun thing I've started doing is using my personal waypoint to mark a spot BEHIND the current target(s) you are planning to shoot. The waypoint will give you an approximate distance to target, so you'll know where to aim. As it turns out you can do this straight from the minimap.

Hope this helps, sorry if I'm redundant or incorrect on any of these points. No one has ever accused me of being a smart man.
  9. Caspartine

The suggestion of a rangefinder has been repeatedly brought up since beta. I am one of those infiltrators who sees this as a nice and logical addition, yet totally unnecessary. Few hours with particular rifle+scope setup and you're good to go. Just practice.
  10. Scudmungus

I always snipe with a suppressor and have found that if you visualise a long bamboo (or similar material) stick extended from your scope, you can judge the bullet drop very well, even at extreme distances.

The path of the bullet, first relatively straight then sloping off in a weighted curve, are very similar.

This holds true when accounting for varying height differences and movement.

Of course, it helps if you've held a long bamboo stick in RL!
  11. pixelboom

are you serious? actually it does.. when your in a squad, you can go check how far your allies are from you.. then why cant u do the same with enemies..
    • Up x 1
  12. JerryMarcinko

In your mind what is a GPS jammer and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the GPS jammer is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start and then you will have access to the best GPS jammer.
  13. AndyTB

I like the idea of range finder, maybe even a partner with it. It reminds me of the beginning of "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg
  14. Heyitsrobbie1984

15. Mustarde

If you guys want a range finder, I see no problem with SOE adding it to the game, as far as balance is concerned.

Personally I have no use for such a thing. Just look at the size of the people you are shooting at through your scope. You will get a feel for how many mildots you need to adjust based on how big the targets are. I honestly have no idea what distances I snipe at while doing it. Experienced snipers will simply look at their targets and estimate the mildot drop. I don't have time to look at a target and get their range and adjust my mil dot compensation - you just look and shoot.

I know that's not very helpful, but if I had a "250m" pop up when aiming at a target, I wouldn't know what to do with that information and it would only slow me down.
  16. JerryMarcinko

In your mind what is a GPS jammer and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the GPS jammer is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start and then you will have access to the best GPS jammer.
  17. Tnsr

There are already too many useless snipers running around, spamming their snipers like it was a spray and pray weapon. If you now take one of the few skill related mechanics out of the game, there would be even more sniping Infiltrators no one needs.
    It is really not asked too much to spend 5 minutes in the VR trainings area to get used to the tools the game gives you and how much you have to aim above the head for certain distances? 5 minutes. Is that really asked too much from the CoD generation?