Has anyone seen or heard a Pheonix rocket lately?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gigastar, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Nogrim313

i want what your smoking
    • Up x 1
  2. Nogrim313

yay someone who uses it, tell me do they deal damage to top armour? i figure since its more like a vehicle hitting from above would trigger damage based on the camera position as opposed to the player position, which would in theory make these a lot more effective versus tanks etc. because no one ever uses top armour and i think its weaker usually
  3. Nogrim313

honestly i dont see why the range couldnt be bumped up to at least 450m or so now that the ability to infantry farm with it is gone
  4. Jkar

Against close targets you can just fire and exit the rocket immediately with "E" if you account for the drop and everything that's not bullet speed is bad against Harassers. However you can kill a ZOE MAX in a single hit with it.

I like the Phoenix because it's fun but sometimes it can be very frustrating when you're about to hit a target and the rocket goes *poof*. That's my biggest gripe with it.

For a lot of situations lock on launchers are currently more practical but that may very well change once they patch in the new lock on mechanic where you need to maintain the lock until impact. You can call it a buff to the Phoenix because you'll have the same low TTK with lock ons as you have with the Phoenix at long ranges. ;)
  5. Ripshaft

Only when I fight NC, not sure why, might just be in my head.
  6. Astealoth

i get hit with the pheonix pretty often but it mostly fails to render, haven't seen the blue rocket or heard the distinctive sound since the most recent GU.
  7. Morpholine

I can't speak for other servers, but when I fight NC on Connery, it sounds like we're facing a swarm of angry tea kettles, like always.
    • Up x 5
  8. Messaiga

It is due to an engine limitation that would cause a load screen after the user loses control of the Phoenix if they allowed the user to guide a Phoenix past it's current range. If not for that I imagine they would have buffed it.
    • Up x 1
  9. Spude

When fighting NC i see ALOT of blue missiles.

If those are phoenix then yes
  10. Osskscosco

Nanites.
  11. whitupiggu

Probably ravens. They are blue and make the same sound.
  12. DramaticExit

They don't get used that much, at least on Ceres. Honestly, I miss the freedom-scream.

Note: I didn't miss the implication that they don't render properly/make the noise they should.
    • Up x 1
  13. The King

I still see players using it. Everytime I play, I see it.
  14. Pikachu

I h
    I have no idea how the armor certs and direction effects work. :S
  15. Aragato

Every time we play against NC on Matherson.
  16. AzureKnight

I like using it. Though i haven't played in about a month...
  17. biterwylie

I play on Cobalt. Hardly ever see it being used. Most players seem to use the Decimator or the G2G lock on launcher.

Never purchased it myself due to the low damage and that you seem to have to stand still an awful long time guiding it. So in my opinion it's true usefulness is very very limited.
  18. DashRendar

Funny, I was just using it tonight after not using it for months. It's an ok rocket, but it's too limited in its uses to be an every day carry. If you are spawncamped by an armor zerg, it can be lulzy though. It's kind of like the BAR for vehicles in that setting. In the field it's less useful unless you have a Phoenix coordinated squad. My biggest complaint with it is in fact the speed of the rocket, it's just too slow to do very much with. Often you will find your target either outruns the rocket or is moving just fast enough that you don't close the gap before the 300m hard limit. Second major complaint is the FOV, there is no reason it has to be so limited when the rocket moves so slow and the handling is so wobbly. It would be a much better rocket if those things were fixed.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hibiki54

Haven't touched mine since the big nerf. Lost it's appeal. I do better work with my Decimator/Shrike
  20. KAHR-Alpha

Seen dozens yesterday, 95% of them wouldn't render.