[Guide] NS 7 PDW Tips and Guide

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by RockPlanetSide2, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RockPlanetSide2

(In my opinion)

Here is a quick review I did. I think people are reading about this weapon and being misled into bad cert spending (sure its a little late for this info, but better late than never).

The NS7 IS NOT the sub-machine gun you put a suppressor/laser sight on. Doing this just gives you a bad weapon, it's not better than or even equal to the other SMGs at all with that load-out... it's far worse. You will see people doing it, but they are just doing it because its what they were used to or because they just don't know (I guess). They will justify doing it even against numbers and even in game results which baffles me, the other SMGs are just better for suppressor/laser sight setups.

I don't think it has anything to do with play-style either, the laser sight is just not good enough on the NS7 to warrant defeating the sole purpose the gun was designed to be used as... a mini-carbine.

I tried to hit the key points in this vid. It's only 3 lives so its not that much info, but its accurate.

1) The NS7 hip fires just fine with out a laser sight (it's not as good as the other SMGs, but its just fine base)
    2) Compensator and Forward grip do increase your mid-range TTK by a lot on full health targets
    3) Various tips about knifing and health pools where this weapon is concerned.

• Up x 5
  2. CuteBeaver

Interesting video.

I gave it a shot and got decent results.

Earlier I tried removing the advanced laser on the NS-7 PDW in favor of more rounds with extended mags. Coupled with the EMP + Bondolier it was awesome. I was doing okay with 30 rounds but the extra 10 meant 2-3 enemy ambushes were possible routinely when paired with the EMP. I enjoyed that loadout for a stealth purposes. NS-7 PDW does offer faster time kill beyond 10 meters over the Sirius and Eridani. So i would not consider that a bad choice to use for that purpose at all.

Getting back on subject:

The accuracy at ranges beyond 30 meters I would have to say this combination shown in the video is pretty nifty. We all see the compensator and shiver at the thought of losing hipfire. However I'd urge people to take the plunge and try it. Your cheating yourself if you don't pick up the compensator , and grip along with a nice scope and give it a shot :3

Normally I don't advocate giving up the advanced lasers on SMG's but due to the extended range an potential for damage farther away it becomes a balancing act between which you want more. Since the Sirius/Eridani (or empire equivalent) handles closer engagements better the laser is best used on those tools. At least that is how my view has evolved after using it for a while. I am still a fan of the stealth loadout but the compensator and grip is an enjoyable alternative I wasn't expecting and I feels like we got extremely good value with the NS-7 PDW. To me at least we got two guns in one.

As for the sole purpose of the NS-7 PDW I am going to have to disagree with the OP slightly. I personally feel it was designed to give us viability at killing beyond the effective range of shotguns which were clearly overwhelming us 1v1. At least when I am playing using the stealth loadout i tend to be selective about picking targets and ambush from longer ranges instead of getting closer and going for the knife which usually happens when I am using a Sirius or Eridani. ( I do knife but only when i make a mistake and someone gets close using the spray /knife technique or Commy + Knife)

The fact that we can use the gun like a carbine is just fantastic but we shouldn't dismiss that using the NS-7 PDW for stealth play is actually considerably better then using the Sirius. The ADS ability and range of the NS-7 PDW give it an edge if used well.
  3. Shuuda

I tried out this setup tonight, and I just want to pitch in and say that it worked really well. Probably the most effective setup I've used so far in terms killing enemies with it. Even when tackling enemies who were well out of range for what's normally possible for other SMGs I found myself being able to pick them off with burst fire.

While adding a compensator seems like a cardinal sin for an infiltrator I did not find it hampering my effective much at all. That said, if you are going to use this set up I would say that a suppressed pistol is highly recommended, just for those moments when you do want to sneak up on an enemy and kill them silently.
    • Up x 1
  4. Aethys

Interesting. Thanks for the video; I may get this gun for those times the fight becomes one less condusive to my Hailstorm (and when I get 1k certs I'd otherwise have to set on fire :\ ).
  5. sosolidshoe

That's a great point and something I'd not thought of; I always try to use a sidearm that makes up for whatever deficiency my main weapon has, but since the release of the revolvers they've handled all such scenarios. Using this loadout on the PDW means I'll finally have a use for my silenced Manticore again :)
  6. Shuuda

I tried out the build suggested in the OP without the compensator last night and found that it still functions pretty find. I was not getting kills at long ranges, but for medium it still worked find. Therefore I would say that the compensator should be considered optional.
  7. MrMurdok

I just Auraxium'd the NS-7.
    I have to say, I did it just to prove a point to a friend, and now that I'm done, this thing's going back to weapons locker, along with the PDW-16, where it will never see the light of day again.

As far as SMG's go, I kept losing to Eridanis, Sirius, Blitzs and Cyclones all the time, this thing just doesn't spew enough death to keep up, stretch the range up a bit, and you're in the Crabines' playground, not good.

Now that I'm back to using the Armistice on my close range loadout and the SOAS-20 for my close-medium one, I feel like the killing power is back in my hands again.

Generally, in my opinion- Infiltrators. If you already have an SMG, don't get this one, it's weak compare to the other SMGs and will lose to them in anything but a drop behind, execution style kill. If you're looking for a close-mid range solution. Get your faction's full auto Scout Rifle and slap a Laser Sight and Compensator on them, they're even cheaper than this piece of Nanite Systems garbage.
  8. TeknoBug

That's basically what I got out of the NS7 when I used it on PTS in some actual fights (not VR) and trialing it on one of my alts on live, not worth it over the existing SMG's and ASR's, I stick to my Artemis on my main because it perfectly suits my playstyle and the Cyclone is a godsend on my NC, the TR though I don't really like playing infil on much even though I have the Hailstorm.

Only thing out of GU13 I like is the Desperado, lets me carry the Shadow and then deal with enemies at close range effectively.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

for me, the weapon is not competitive. at shortrange, it loses against shotguns and empire-specific smgs. at mediumrange, it loses against carbines and lmgs. at longer ranges, it should not be used anyway due to the high damage dropoff and low bullet velocity.

that being said, you have a hard time killing people with max nanoweave, not to mention, heavy assaults with additional shield in a direct face-off. the only way to kill effectively is by catching enemy infantry off-guard as you do in your vid as a cloaked infiltrator. the gun's performance is bad, only things great about it are its looks, sound and animation.
  10. Shuuda

It seems you people are sort of missing the point of this weapon. Like most NS weapons it's not made to excel in any one area, but are meant to be versitle all rounders, which is something that infiltrator's aresnal has been lacking up until now. Personally, I like being able to use a gun that doesn't shoehorn me into one area where I can be effective. When I've been using this gun recently there were few situations where a player of my above average ability could not snatch a kill. If I had been using another SMG I would always be pushing myself to get closer, and if I had been using a scout I'd always be trying to get into that sweet spot.

Because this gun is moderately good at many ranges my decisions on where to position myself or approach an enemy could turn away from "how can I get into this weapon's effective range" and more towards position myself where it felt most profitable as it were... if that makes any sense. Adaptability, basically.

How it stacks up to other guns in 1 v 1 is hardly relavent, because as an infiltrator I should actively avoiding those kind of fights altogether. Even in cases where I do face off with an enemy my first instinct is to break line of sight and try to flank them rather than engage in gun fights. The flexibilty of this gun serves rather well for that, giving my plenty of options.

Perhaps people who use weapons like the Sirius feel fine going head on fights, in which case they're allowing themselves to be ingrained with bad habbits. If you want to play like a medic or a heavy then play those classes, they're better at it. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Sirius or that you shouldn't use it, I'm saying that you shouldn't let the weapon you use carry you. Good players focus on their playstyle, and pick the guns most suited for it. Average players focus on having the "best" weapon, and let their play be dicatated by it.
  11. Jkar

I think for infiltrators the NS 7 competes with auto scout rifles and only in part with the other SMGs. This is fine if you're looking for a mid range capable weapon which is still good enough for close range.

If I ever decide to pick up the NS 7 I'd go for 2x reflex with extended mag and suppressor though to keep it in my comfort zone of close to mid range combat with a decent clip size on top. I'd go with extended mag in part because it influences how much extra ammo you get from the ammo belt suit slot but also so you have enough bullets to take on multiple opponents if you have to which is my biggest problem with the ASR.
  12. Vanon

I run a NS-7 PDW on a lot of my classes. It isn't better at anything overall. It's slightly below average on CQB / mid/ long ranges. For being able to snipe and pick apart targets at longer distances, its hipfire is incredable. For being able to have great hipfire and good RoF it's accuracy at range is phenominal. Baicly there are better weapons for each individual range. This seems to be the best overall gun in the game in my opinion. I run comp/ext mags/2x/soft point. The gun is designed so that you can take tactical advantage of your situation and not have to worry about range. For instance, if you have a blitz and have a perfect position at 60 meters to snipe the enemy spawn, you still are going to have to abandon and run to closer quarters.
  13. Scan

This weapon is a solid choice for any infiltrator.

If someone would ask me to get the full auto-scout, or the NS-7, I'd recommend the latter.

Up close this might not be as powerful as the bullethoses we already had, but if you make sure you get the drop on someone, it'll still kill him very quickly. (though not as quickly as the Armistice or Cyclone)

The NS-7 takes a different, more reserved approach. Get the most out of the range advantage, preferably shoot people from farther away, only kill people up close when you are certain to have the drop.

Get increased mag size. This weapon is already pretty accurate from the hip without laser sight, but is slightly lacking damage causing you to have your mag run out, before you kill your target. (mainly heavy assaults)
  14. RockPlanetSide2

It's ok, I think that anybody still using it is just holding on to the fact that they bought it so they SHOULD use it. Any other option is better for any other class besides the Infiltrator.

When you see Engs or LA using it instead of the Serpent/VX6/Jaugar or the like... they are just foolish (no offense), there is no justification at all... they are just using it because they bought it.

It is average... and sometimes that is good, but in this game average is rarely good.
  15. Vanon

It's the only NC non LMG that can hold 40 bullets, have a quick reload, and still kill things at 50 meters. For NC it's a streight upgrade from the NS-11 series in every way. It's TTK is pretty much on par with the other guns, provided you kill before reloading.
    http://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#sttk/sh38-10-10/la/1.2/7494/27000/27001/28001/28000/29000/29001
    slidei t to 37% and thats the reload.
  16. RockPlanetSide2

Not trying to be an $$$, but, uh...

The NS 11c was not that great to begin with... again, its TTK is not on par with the tier 1 guns... at all... period. And the NS7 is still not as good at medium range as the NS 11c... they are different guns... so its not a "straight upgrade" at all.

Any NC using the NS7 instead of the Blitz honestly has no idea what they are talking about or has not used the blitz with the same setup ... the Blitz wrecks the NS7 in every single way (except at the farthest reach of both guns practical max range)... it is simply not worth it AT ALL to give up the Blitz's far superior stopping power to not have to use 3 more bullets at the 50m range... which the Blitz can spit out anyway.

And having 40 bullets does not replace a tier 1 carbine, sure its better than the "Soltice", but not the VX6... where if you are any good you wont need 40 bullets to kill somebody.

Again, its just "I bought it so I have to justify it"... I'm sorry, but that's the only true argument left... outside of 1.... it's gold plated if you are cool... some people simply are not :D

And, also again, I'm not saying it's not usable... it is just a Tier 2 gun at best.