PS2 Is In Danger of "Combat Medic" takeover

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, Aug 1, 2013.

1. The King

The reason I killed em was because a couple had medic guns out.
    I got them from behind. Easy kills when you don't pay attention.
    Thing is, I had back up not too far, but that didn't matter, they were all up in around 4 seconds.
    You can click boom, rez nearly instantly. It really shouldn't be like that.

This cooldown isn't a cooldown, it just takes an additonal time to rez.
    So there is no "saving" your cooldown for someone cooler. You don't use it, it's not going anywhere.
    Unless, you're talking about other posts.

Others have mentioned that the more you get revived, the longer the cooldown you have. So if you died 2x already, it takes longer to get rezed than the 1st time and the 2nd. This seems pretty reasonable. I know there are people who gets revived 10+ times.. There has to be a point that it ends. Maybe it will take like a whole minute to rez someone who keeps getting rezed over and over and over again. As of right now, it's ridiculous, it's a huge *** cert farm. That's why people are being medics, there's so many dead bodies all over...That's the biggest reason, then there are the few who plays it for their team.
  2. kennonfodder

Unnecessary post. What chance has a pack of medics against a mixed group of heavies, engineers, maxes (and 1-2 medics)?No battle is won by a team of only medics, but with a team where the different classes act together as one.

People complaining about never played much as medics. We pay with our lives for the seemingly endless revives.
    So get out of your vehicle and try this class a bit, you´ll see its more difficult to do the dirty work than go for the easy farms.

Changing the medics will seriously change the game mechanics, not in a sense of improvement.
    • Up x 1
  3. Falcon_BR

I am constantly facing multiple squads made only of medics.
    On Waterson, XDO was known as lots of light assaults, now they all use medics.
    12 medics on a point, you kill 11, 20 seconds after they are all alive again.
    They have c4 to take out tanks and they don´t mind dying while doing it, because they got lots of medics to revive them.

My outfit members keep complaining that it is no use killing one of them, because they will be resurrected!

Like always, I adapt, I got a Max, another friend got a max, we got 2 engineer, 1 medic and 2 heavies.
    12 dead medics. All of them BR 80+

Always use flak armor on your max if you are going to face medics, they won´t bother shooting you, they will try to hit you with c4 and fail.

And removing the death count from the revive is what made that tactics much more attractive, high BR players really care about k/d.

Also, remove c4 from the medic, now one max will rule them all!
  4. ReconTeemo

5. Unclematos7

There's a whine thread about the medic? The least played class? Seriously?
    • Up x 2
  6. The King

It's not the least played class....
    That would be the infiltrator, the light assault is right after, then the medics, followed by the engineer and the most played will be the heavies...
  7. Phrygen

Indeed. And the engineer really = pilot or gunner.

Medic is the second most common infantry (ground pounder) class.
  8. Leal

Today had some fun playing as an infiltrator fighting the TR. I decided instead of taking one way to flank which always resulted me in going face to face with heavies, I would take another route. In this route was I swear to god like 30 medics all in a ******* conga line. Tossing down some AP mines would net me like 5 kills before I opened up with my SMG. Of course this did basically nothing cause they would just revive the downed guys after I got killed.

I'm sure if I was listening in on their comms it would literally be "OK the push is halfway dead, next guy in line throw in the rez grenade and get into the back of the line, guy 2nd in line take his spot and wait till we need another grenade". I mean these medics were lined up across the wall, crouched over one another all with mediguns in their hands. Christ, you guys are some real ******* drones.
  9. Takoita

I support "Get a bullet while sitting up - off to the respawn you go" porposition and suggest some kind of deployable that denies revives to the enemy in a certain radius.

OP, go do youself a favour and get run over by a sunderer.
  10. HadesR

Imo certain problems only arise when more and more people reach " end game " and have fully certed abilities .. It's a bit like the NW debate .. No one had an issue when the majority of players had NW2 or 3 .. But now more and more have it at 5 a better perspective can be reached on how it effects gameplay ( if it does ).
  11. lilleAllan

Pull a stock lightning and murder them?
    Their only means of tank killling is C4 you knows
  12. Vanon

This is dumb. An orginized squad/platoon full of medics is circus and easy to defeat with an orginized squad/platoon. Infact, it's doable with half the numbers using the right class combo's. They also are extreamly vulnerable to both armor and air. The only thing i can take from this is the idea that the revive time should be double. The only time this strategy works is when your up against a PUG group, or the equivalent. Far to easy to pull a max or two with engineers, or heavy's with medics, or C4 them and blow up the corpse.
    • Up x 2
  13. hansgrosse

I don't necessarily see a problem with medics as they are. They still don't seem to be an especially abundant class, and moreover the vast majority seem to be the proverbial "headless chickens" that focus more on running around in circles and getting themselves shot than on actually reviving the dead guy next to them. Not once in the time since I started playing this game have I ever thought to myself "Wow, medics and their revives are BS." Can't take on 4 medics by yourself? Looks like you got out-teamworked.

That said, if revive restrictions MUST be put in place, I'd opt for the following:

BOTH of these:
    -Allies killed by explosive weaponry cannot be revived.
    -Allies killed by headshot cannot be revived.

Or ONE of these:
    -Infiltrators can cert into a skill that lets them booby-trap dead enemy bodies, setting off an explosion when the medic attempts a revive. (There'd have to be some small and easy to miss, but nonetheless present indicator that a body has been booby-trapped.)
    -Infiltrators or engineers can cert into a grenade that suppresses enemy revives within a certain radius for a set amount of time.
    • Up x 1
  14. Being@RT

So.. You're really complaining that 1v4 medics you couldn't kill all four? While admitting that you only got three of them to begin with because they weren't all in a shooting stance? How many non-medics would you have expected to take down?

It seems like you're complaining about the multiplicative strength of having so many medics, but in fact you'd likely have killed fewer targets had they not been medics. Medics are absolutely a force multiplier, but the medic itself is lower strength than many others, particularly when they get their healing/revive gun out. The force multiplication factor has diminishing returns based on number of medics around though, since all that's really needed is one medic who lives.

Of course there are times when equal numbers clash and the team with more medics wins.. but there are also scenarios where the mostly-medics team loses horribly. If your higher up-front strength lets you push on the medic team, they will be unable to revive. There are far too many variables (terrain, skill, latency, render distance, numbers, etc) to account for to ever prove whether grouped up medics truly are too powerful or not. so all we've got is the gut feelings and anecdotal evidence. I think most of the community disagrees, at least partly, with the sentiment that grouped up medics are OP.

I and others have already covered what would happen with the suggested nerfs to medic: even more need for medics to make up for the nerfs. They're a core concept of the game and, unless the nerfs are truly massive, a succesful operation still requires them.

A compromise I'm fine with is increasing overall spawn times while making revives more difficult. But I doubt the majority of the playerbase desires that.
    This does sound reasonable, but I'd put the timer after the revive is done on the medics end. Call it injecting the nanites, then the nanites getting the multi-mutilated corpse back into action take some time. Because it'd be a real pain always having to guess how long it will take to revive someone.

Also make that increase in time apply to regular spawns as well
    ---

Also: they're called 'combat medics' because very few people enjoy playing a pure support role, one that would not be able to do any damage at all, to anything, in any situation.

Make a noncorporeal medic (can't get hurt, can't hurt others) that's able to heal stuff and get exp for it. That's a noncombat medic that would actually have players (easy certs). But a medic that can't shoot/shoot back but can still die? nah. Without combat the medics should be replaced with npcs or not exist at all. While the spawn timers are very short, the game also has very low TTK.

---

Does combat medic/medic have something in common with infiltrator/sniper? Two roles in one class?
    • Up x 1
  15. Badname707

The 'everyone go medic' tactic is becoming a problem on Waterson. I've been a part of them a couple times, and have seen it done many times. It's possible that SOE intended the medic to be the standard infantry class for most situations, but it still needs a balancer. The fact that you can revive someone significantly faster than you can heal him to full is a problem.
  16. The King

You completely missed the point.
    I would have killed the same amount if they were engineers on a MAX, that doesn't matter. That is all besides the point.The point is, if you have read my post, is that, medics can rez extremely fast by just click on a target with a med gun and almost instantly rezing em. I am not complaining that I didin't kill all 4, I am saying that it's kinda crappy. I use a medic too, I know how it is, it's really easy to rez anyone nearly instantly.
  17. Being@RT

Yes, medics can revive really fast, but medics have this power almost regardless of their numbers: You only need to reach that minimal amount of players where a medic or two live. Remember that the medic does not need to revive other medics to stay alive themselves if they won the engagement: they probably have enough time to revive everyone by themselves. In larger scale conflicts, removing the ability to revive 'in combat' would make the class obsolete.. the battle lines tend to shift too slowly for waiting for a revive to be a good option: just respawn at sundy/spawnroom, refill ammo and run back in the same time.

In your specific example especially it does not matter that the three you killed were medics, since that last living medic was under no threat after it killed you (since you were alone there, if I understood correctly). For purposes of objectives, had that one person been a non-medic they'd still have been able to flip points, destroy generators etc just like the medic.. which really does come back down to the 4 > 1 argument, which you wish to downplay (if even one of those medics/engineers/MAXes are half as good as you, you'd have died on the first opponent, surely).

There is no way to nerf grouped-up medics without nerfing the single medics (whether they are in a squad or not). As long as reviving is useful, there will be need for medics. The harder it is, the more medics are needed to achieve the same effect as before. And if reviving is not useful, nobody will ever be a medic at all - The TTK is so low that it's better to roll another class with healing consumables/biolab bonus/regeneration implant (if/when it gets implemented) and gain other abilities while at it.

I'm probably repeating myself but.. Your goal/request is to reduce the amount of medics, but your main complaint (that of fast revives) isn't dependant on the actual amount of the medics around. The medic class (And the game itself) is designed around the revive tool - removing it would have massive consequences. But (effectively) removing it is what your requests would eventually lead to.

edit: I've probably mistaken people replying in this thread with each other by now, so treat any 'you' as not you personally if it doesn't seem to fit =)
    • Up x 1
  18. axiom537

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND"....TheBillof3D -

Well this pretty much sums it up...You do not understand, but yet you continue to make irrelevant posts, because YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.
    " how someone in an outfit and high BR has issues with medics"
    " An organized outfit will always own pubs or should disband"
    "Did everything else in the game get nerfed and we are finally at the end of the dumbing down of PS2?"

None of those comments are relevant, we are discussing the ability for instant to near instant, infinite revives and how it can and is affecting game play. The revive mechanic needs a minor tweak and I suggest...

1. Limit the amount of revives a player can accept from infinite to 2-3...
    2. Give players a mechanic to force a corpse to respawn...

These aren't nerfs to medics, nor dumbing down the game, if anything it is the opposite of dumbing the game down...
    • Up x 1
  19. Tristan

I've decided that accidental trolls, usually presenting through willful ignorance and stubborn fear of change, are way worse than actual trolls. This Bill guy is hopeless.
    • Up x 1
  20. LT_Latency

I don't see the issue, If a medics is bring people up faster then I am putting them down I am doing something wrong,

If a medic gets out his medic gun, That is one person who is unarmmed and one person who is at half 1/2(if he even gets the rez before i kill him). Both should do down in a hail of gun fire.

The medic grenade cost resourese and is sort of a reverse gernade or c4
    • Up x 2