Test Patch Notes - 8/1/2013

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by JGood, Aug 1, 2013.

1. NoXousX

That's what dogfighting will turn back in to again. Afterburner to AA or mash your bound pitch up key for as long as possible hoping your opponent ran out of mousepad.
    • Up x 4
  2. [HH]Mered4

...Most of this is moot until we all try it anyway. I agree with them on principle, but I haven't tried it yet, so my opinion will probably change.

We will see.
  3. DataBlue

... ok ... SOE listen.

The way a ESF moves and how dog fights are conducted in PS2 is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in a game. Whether by accident or not you created the most epic air to air combat systems in any game I know. If you want to create a game that will have a good community and players that will keep playing the game for years you need to have a high skill ceiling. No one is going to keep playing a game where they feel like they have already reached their max potential, including me.

The nerf to the reverse maneuver is a direct kick in the balls to some of the players most loyal to your game. We don't need more games that cater to casual gamers, please don't become one.
    • Up x 7
  4. Naterian

Wow man.

Do you know why a growing number of folks continue to hate and not support CoD + BF despite the inherent lack of depth?

Because of dumb **** like Martyrdom, duel wielding shotguns, cheap killstreaks, noob tubes and terrible netcode/match making.

Yes all those things give casual joe a leaning edge when it comes to the skill gap but guess what? He is "casual" joe. Casual Joe isn't going to invest hundreds of dollars into your game, Casual Joe is not going to stick around and give your game longevity.

You using Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 as platform for your argument is quite frankly, a joke.

People played Call of Duty 4 and Battlefield 2 for years after their release, yet their predecessors are not going to have a life of over 2 years, do you know why? I'll let you figure that one out. Oh, also. In case you haven't noticed PS2's numbers have been dwindling since release and making any changes to piss off the majority of players still remaining here isn't going to be a good move.

They really have something special here in their game when it comes to air combat and you want that to be ruined so Casual Joe will have fun for the one month he plays this game? That's what A2A missiles are for.

Hahaha and then you tell us to "adapt", the guys who have been flying since beta when the skyguard was the sky"god" and the only way to live was to literally fly 10 meters off the ground. The guys who flew through rocket pods being grossly OP, the guys who flew through when annihilators made it IMPOSSIBLE to fly during primetime, the guys who flew through the absurd amounts of overpowered Lock down + ZOE bursters spread all over the map, the guys who are STILL dealing with ridiculous **** like the strikers, ahahahahaha

Now they want to change a core mechanic of flying, that same core that has kept us through all the ******** SOE puts out. Then you tell us to "adapt", ahahahahahahaha.

Yeah buddy we'll adapt alright. We will adapt by just uninstalling this game and playing something worth our time and then you can have fun with your empty skies and one dimensional battlefield 3 style circle war dogfights.

Enjoy kid.
    • Up x 7
  5. Thurwell

Ugh, I hate posting in this type of thread. But I have to add my 2 cents on the ESF thruster change. There's nothing unique about my input, it's the same thing as almost every pilot is going to tell you. But as many players as possible need to post and say this because what SOE is contemplating is so stupid.

Don't do it, don't change how ESF fundamentally move. this is a terrible idea. It's so terrible an idea that you shouldn't even be considering it. Probably by accident you've created a unique flight mechanic, many pilots have hundreds of hours practicing with it, and this is simply how the game works now. What we all believe is going to happen is that there will be a lower skill ceiling to the game. That's a bad thing, you want a high skill ceiling, not a low one. What you say you want to happen in the game is only the very best pilots will be able to pull of reverse maneuvers. If that's the case it's also terrible, why would you try to raise the skill floor to make it even harder to start flying? That's insane.

Anyway, you can buff and nerf the weapons, but it's too late to fundamentally change how the vehicles fly. Don't do it, don't even consider it.
    • Up x 4
  6. Spartan3123

OMG the REAVER is going to get absolutely ***** by this nerf... reverse thrust is the ONLY thing the reaver has going for it... other than a negligibly higher time to kill IF Hit with every bullet.

Please DO NOT touch this mechanic i dont fly that much but you are significantly lowering the skill required for flying. NC is allways outnumbered in the air, removing a mechanic which removes skill from flying means NC will have no air because all the pro-pilots that do fly (while being outnumbered ) will have nothing to fight with.... NC will be completely ******...

Unless you are going to make the reaver a flying tank PLEASE dont do this....
    • Up x 1
  7. McToast

Moin

Did I really just read in some posts "lowering the skill ceiling is a good thing, because it gives noobs incentive to keep playing and keeping this game alive"? This really results in the opposite. A dumbed down game made for the masses won't stay alive for long. As soon as the next fotm game comes out the cattle is gone. You have to keep the right players hooked. Honestly, when did you start playing online games? Don't you remember quake, UT and CS? A very high skill ceiling, but people still play those games, and they are over ten years old. CS 1.6 got only kicked out of eSport because they wanted to sell more CS:GO copies. Just today I installed good old UT99 GOTY and it's still fun.

PS2 already has a low skill ceiling. TTK is very high (and yet some people want it still higher... damn, it sometimes takes 4-5 headshots already to take out an opponent!), making it very difficult to win against the higher numbers, relatively little influence of skill on a battle. " 1vs6 should not be possible" - It bloody should! Quality > Quantity. Learn to play. I am not a great high skilled player, but I am so sick of the catering to casual gamers this last years. There are very few good games out there, because every publisher just cares about reaching the masses. It's all about the money, and those players who made the success of computer gaming possible are spit at. Publishers don't want a game to live for 10 years, because then the sequel won't sell as good 1 year later. It should be low skill floor & high skill ceiling, not low skill floor & low skill ceiling.

And now to the topic: Dumbing down the reverse maneuver is a step in the wrong direction. I would like if they made this game even HARDER, WIDENING the gap between novice and ace (mind you, I am not an ace (yet)). Not only for the ESFs, but for every other aspect of the game. Dumbing down is NEVER good in the long run. In every area should be room to improve significantly. I play all aspects of PS2, flying, driving and running, and especially "running" isn't very difficult at all. Recoil is easy to controll while always keeping a certain randomfactor, movement isn't very fast, TTK is high and dying is of little consequence if you're playing infantry. I am not playing this game for the great infantry core mechanics, because they aren't great at all. I play this game for the huge scale and for the combined arms aspect. Aircrafts still possess what the ground units lack: A noticeable skill curve. And this nerf to vthrust takes away from that. This won't be the reason for me to quit, but it's another step in the wrong direction and at some point I will leave. And if they **** up that infiltrator GU by not fixing NW I might be gone.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast

PS: Please excuse poor use of the english language, I'm tired (5:26am @ my place) and a bit drunk :).
    • Up x 2
  8. 2Slow2Calm

My main concern is that by nerfing hover AB they make afterburner fuel tanks a less attractive option. What use is more fuel if it doesn't help you as much? I thought they wanted AB fuel to be a viable option for skilled pilots.

I guess what they really want is the cash money from selling the new ESF weapons.
  9. SpaceKing

closing the distance between your target is now important, and AB tanks are getting cert lines soon
  10. LanceHavenbay

Learn to fly, then.
  11. LanceHavenbay

Please do not alter reverse thrust. You want this to be MLG, yet you cater too much to skill-less casuals.
  12. LanceHavenbay

Sure
    It is called a tactical adavance, getting the drop, ADADA, jumping, anything and everything that keeps you alive and the enemy dead. It takes time to learn and is a skill that you should learn.

Are you saying that wrestlers should only try to pin a person without their arms- just their chests. You know, so the new guy doesn't have to worry about holds or grappling. They can just chest bump to victory.
  13. LanceHavenbay

I love te
    I love endless hill and tree cover for my ground vehicles. :3
  14. Xhaleon

Have... have all of you pilots never considered flying around terrain and stuff to break locks and turn to face the enemy or something?
  15. 2Slow2Calm

and here comes lancehavenbay with the quadruple post :)
    • Up x 1
  16. Van Dax

I've done it before. TRUE SKILL
  17. LanceHavenbay

Nothing is impossible. It is just silly to take skill out of something. The whole point at playing a game or doing a sport is self improvement, whether it be physically, mentally or via tactile dexterity.

Removing that potential for skill, lowers the sustainability of said game/sport and disallows continues learning and potentially, interest. As you have nothing to aim for.
    • Up x 1
  18. DuckSauce

Good pilots generally break LoS if they can before doing air reverse. Thanks for your concern.
  19. Nikushimi

Dont waste your time trying to argue with them. it is equivalent to arguing with a brick wall. Most of the people fighting the nerf are NC reaver pilots (who are at a massive advantage when it comes to Vthrust maneuvers.)
  20. TRNCVS

Well, I've been trying to fly and I think I can do the reverse thrust or whatever every now and then in a heat of a battle. I gave up flying though, but not for that reason. Every time I fly I kill myself trying to fly to close to the ground or mountain trying to evade lockons and tailers, so I just plain suck at it and now I'm staying away lol. I feel like the scythe and reaver flies like a brick.. although I only have racer 1 frame.

Anyhow, I think they should just leave it the way it is now and just add something else so that new players aren't at a disadvantage if they don't know the advanced moves. So what does this move help you with? Turning your plane around to shoot at someone tailing you. We need another way to do this in aircraft that doesn't involve something with as much practice. Maybe we could have a new ability replacing fuel tanks(that slot) that can maybe shoot backwards and blind or slow down something behind you. I know some of you are saying wtf shoot behind, thats stupid! No aircraft game has that. Well ps2 is already so much different, why not? Or maybe we could have clouds that someone mentioned so that the novice could fly in so that they could get away, lose, or just turn around slowly. These are just ideas.. but we need to think outside the box here that adds to the existing flying mechanics and not alter whats already done.
    • Up x 1